The Villages FL VS Sun Cities AZ

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2023, 08:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,617 Times in 436 Posts
Default The Villages FL VS Sun Cities AZ

I did my homework (like daily) religiously for about five years on The Villages in Florida and Sun City and Sun City West in Arizona. Living in Colorado, and still in my early 50s, I was looking ahead to where I wanted to retire. Most people in Colorado seem to retire in Arizona vs Florida, due to proximity. I visited Del Web’s Sun City, Sun City West and Sun City Grand multiple times. I always visited in the middle of summer, to see if I could stand the heat. When my employer offered me early retirement (which I took) while still in my late 50s, I wasn’t prepared to move yet, so I stayed in Colorado for a year to figure things out. There were things I liked about Sun City, but also things I didn’t. I was ready to take the plunge and move to Sun City West when I decided for the heck of it to take a lifestyle visit to The Villages, since I had already done so much research on it, I wanted to see it in person (but had not intention of moving here). Came here last summer and The Villages blew me away and I immediately decided to move here. Here are my personal reasons I picked The Villages over Sun City West: 1) More younger retirees- Sun City West feels like an old folks home, and not as active 2) Dedicated golf cart paths (Sun City West has none) 3) Town Squares with nightly entertainment 4) A self-contained community(the Bubble) - Sun City West feels like a suburb of sprawling Phoenix 5) Beauty and colorful - Sun City West is boring beige and very little natural, living landscaping 6) Way more activities /clubs/ golf 7) Purchased new home here for what I would have paid for a 1980s duplex-style condo in Sun City West 8) No state income tax here 9) People seem way friendlier and happier here (shattered the stereotype of East Coasters being more aloof and distant than West Coasters) 9) Winters not as cold as they can be in Arizona 10) proximity to the beach and I can drive to Lauderdale/Miami to catch a cruise.

Wondering if anyone else compared these two 55+ communities before deciding on The Villages.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Living in Colorado, and still in my early 50s, I was looking ahead to where I wanted to retire.
My neighbor wants to know.
They are wondering, does the wife have pink or purple hair?
Old 03-17-2023, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

We choose the Villages for all the reasons you described and more, we would be bored in Arizona. Good friends bought in Tucson, Arizona because they love hiking and skiing in the mountains, aren’t big golfers, and don’t like “flatlander” living. They are now regretting their decision as they age and their knees no longer allow them to enjoy the mountains often, it’s often much colder during the winter, and from Massachusetts it’s a long trip back and forth. To each his or her own, but we prefer the Villages.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:38 AM

thanks for your research! I've wondered, sometimes, about our decision to retire here & not AZ but we apparently made the right decision. There's almost too much to do here. But it's fun fun fun.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:45 AM

Visited AZ a few times but never considered it for retirement, as life moved me to the east coast, and that is now where the kids live.

Agree with all of the reason of the OP, otherwise. Also, I am happier with the way Florida seems to be going in their governance. I think it bodes well for better things happening here vs AZ.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Ever wonder what the retirees in AZ are writing on their blog ?
Old 03-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Veteran member

I looked all over the country including Sun City, Del Webb at Hilton head, Del Webb Ocala etc. and decided here because of the golf cart and course infrastructure and the Florida weather and humidity. Arizona is really beautiful but so hot and dry and everyone that lives there looks desiccated.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:33 AM

We did a similar thing but also included Las Vegas or parts of Nevada. In addition to the points, you made our biggest thing is that we like tropical vs desert. We love green. Like you did all of our visits here and at those locations figuring that would be the worst of it weather wise, plus we wanted to see how vibrant the areas were when the snowbirds were not there. Most were ghost towns. Probably the biggest thing in favor of those two areas was that they major metropolitan areas. Nice having things open and lots of choices.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Know a lot of people in Del Web Huntley who pay a lot more than it cost here. Higher home prices and taxes for less amenties and crappy weather.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:11 PM
Platinum member

Only + between TV and Sun City is that Sun City closer to Western US National Parks, including the Grand Canyon and golf courses are much higher caliber in Arizona as opposed to Florida. If you can handle the heat top notch courses can be played in Arizona for less than what we pay in TV.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We choose the Villages for all the reasons you described and more, we would be bored in Arizona. Good friends bought in Tucson, Arizona because they love hiking and skiing in the mountains, aren’t big golfers, and don’t like “flatlander” living. They are now regretting their decision as they age and their knees no longer allow them to enjoy the mountains often, it’s often much colder during the winter, and from Massachusetts it’s a long trip back and forth. To each his or her own, but we prefer the Villages.
just about the same for us. I love visiting the west in summer, the mountains and the national parks, though late spring for Arizona and New Mexico. But love FL for the extra mild winters. . and the nearby ocean / gulf
Old 03-17-2023, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Can you sit in a car in a disabled spot and catch your breath before your go into a store in Arizona? That would be one of the two determining factors for me.

Living close to Sin City is not a plus at all.

I vote for here because here has become the best home I've ever had. I love The Villages even with some of its warts.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Golf Carts View Post
Diamond Carts Mobile Detailing/ Specialize in golf cart detailing for interior, exterior and wax/ We come to you/ feel free to call or text 352.617.9658.
Real classy, real classy.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Congrats on an early retirement, I'm sure glad I was able to make that happen too. I also was thinking AZ was an option, but glad I chose TV. Retirement heaven. Welcome and enjoy!
Old 03-18-2023, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

One thing about Arizona is that it can be hot and dry depending on your location. I find it way too cold a portion of the year in TV and would prefer the hotter Arizona temperatures.
Closed Thread

Tags
sun, city, west, villages, arizona

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.