The Villages FL VS Sun Cities AZ

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2023, 05:31 AM

We did the same comparisons since we lived on the west coast, but our search expanded up to Utah and Nevada too. Lived in a del Webb community already and never again. Have you seen what’s happening to all the bigger cities in the west? Have you looked into how much you would pay in taxes, property/income? Look into water availability in the future and current. Most of the west has had water restrictions for many years, can’t water lawns, wash cars, paint dead lawns green, or just use dirt and rock for landscaping. Sure there are national parks in the west, how many times times do you want to visit Grand Canyon/Bryce Canyon? If you want to visit some of these parks, take a break from our summers here and go visit some of them.
As for amenities, there isn’t anything in the states and maybe the world that can compete with what we have. The only things that other retirement communities can offer that might be better for someone and they are: would be a much smaller community if you think TV is too big; can’t stand the humidity here.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:44 AM

For all those reasons and it is too dry out west. The moist air here keeps our skin more hydrated and youthful looking. Lol
Old 03-18-2023, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I did my homework (like daily) religiously for about five years on The Villages in Florida and Sun City and Sun City West in Arizona. Living in Colorado, and still in my early 50s, I was looking ahead to where I wanted to retire. Most people in Colorado seem to retire in Arizona vs Florida, due to proximity. I visited Del Web’s Sun City, Sun City West and Sun City Grand multiple times. I always visited in the middle of summer, to see if I could stand the heat. When my employer offered me early retirement (which I took) while still in my late 50s, I wasn’t prepared to move yet, so I stayed in Colorado for a year to figure things out. There were things I liked about Sun City, but also things I didn’t. I was ready to take the plunge and move to Sun City West when I decided for the heck of it to take a lifestyle visit to The Villages, since I had already done so much research on it, I wanted to see it in person (but had not intention of moving here). Came here last summer and The Villages blew me away and I immediately decided to move here. Here are my personal reasons I picked The Villages over Sun City West: 1) More younger retirees- Sun City West feels like an old folks home, and not as active 2) Dedicated golf cart paths (Sun City West has none) 3) Town Squares with nightly entertainment 4) A self-contained community(the Bubble) - Sun City West feels like a suburb of sprawling Phoenix 5) Beauty and colorful - Sun City West is boring beige and very little natural, living landscaping 6) Way more activities /clubs/ golf 7) Purchased new home here for what I would have paid for a 1980s duplex-style condo in Sun City West 8) No state income tax here 9) People seem way friendlier and happier here (shattered the stereotype of East Coasters being more aloof and distant than West Coasters) 9) Winters not as cold as they can be in Arizona 10) proximity to the beach and I can drive to Lauderdale/Miami to catch a cruise.

Wondering if anyone else compared these two 55+ communities before deciding on The Villages.
My wife and I strongly considered AZ but not in a Sun City community. We looked in Goodyear AZ in one of the Robson Homes communities (also located in Texas). Many of the same amenities as the Villages in their community including multiple golf courses, pickleball, clubs etc. But no commercial property so you have to get in your car for shopping, Dr appts etc. One major plus was the quality of the homes was far superior to those built here and much more energy efficient. Now that research was done 5 yrs ago so don't know if that's changed. I also liked being closer to a major metro area and spring training.
Always keeping it as an option if we decide to relocate again.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:29 AM

We decided against Sun City because of many of the same reasons you did. We were considering the Sun City locations in the Carolinas but after a Life Style visit to the Villages, we never even visited Sun City Hilton Head. We did do online research of other 55+ communities in Florida but none compared to TV. We had friends who purchased in a small 55+ community outside Orlando (more a neighborhood really at only 500 homes) but the development was too small to offer much in the way of amenities. I have to mention the fantastic wood working shop, the beautiful landscaping, and golf cart lifestyle here in TV were major selling points for me. I don’t golf, and only a few Sun City locations had wood shops but nothing compares to the new Brownwood facility in TV. The only boxes TV didn’t check for us were, true gated community, larger lot sizes, lack of custom home features, and an indoor Olympic size pool.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:31 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Wondering if anyone else compared these two 55+ communities before deciding on The Villages.
Yes.

Old 03-18-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I did my homework (like daily) religiously for about five years on The Villages in Florida and Sun City and Sun City West in Arizona. Living in Colorado, and still in my early 50s, I was looking ahead to where I wanted to retire. Most people in Colorado seem to retire in Arizona vs Florida, due to proximity. I visited Del Web’s Sun City, Sun City West and Sun City Grand multiple times. I always visited in the middle of summer, to see if I could stand the heat. When my employer offered me early retirement (which I took) while still in my late 50s, I wasn’t prepared to move yet, so I stayed in Colorado for a year to figure things out. There were things I liked about Sun City, but also things I didn’t. I was ready to take the plunge and move to Sun City West when I decided for the heck of it to take a lifestyle visit to The Villages, since I had already done so much research on it, I wanted to see it in person (but had not intention of moving here). Came here last summer and The Villages blew me away and I immediately decided to move here. Here are my personal reasons I picked The Villages over Sun City West: 1) More younger retirees- Sun City West feels like an old folks home, and not as active 2) Dedicated golf cart paths (Sun City West has none) 3) Town Squares with nightly entertainment 4) A self-contained community(the Bubble) - Sun City West feels like a suburb of sprawling Phoenix 5) Beauty and colorful - Sun City West is boring beige and very little natural, living landscaping 6) Way more activities /clubs/ golf 7) Purchased new home here for what I would have paid for a 1980s duplex-style condo in Sun City West 8) No state income tax here 9) People seem way friendlier and happier here (shattered the stereotype of East Coasters being more aloof and distant than West Coasters) 9) Winters not as cold as they can be in Arizona 10) proximity to the beach and I can drive to Lauderdale/Miami to catch a cruise.

We did not consider Arizona as we do not like the dessert landscape but did research other east coast and Florida communities, you are correct, once we came and stayed here twice, this is where we wanted to be. I’ve read so many of your posts starting with your attempts to buy in Richmond and your excitement at “winning” a home there, I’m glad you are happy with your decision.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:44 AM

My in-laws retired in Sun City. All the yards were gravel. On morning while visiting, I went for an early morning run and spotted a green yard ahead. At last, I thought, some grass! Nope, they had painted the gravel green. Oh, and I looked out in the back yard one day and there was a big coyote passing through. All the garbage cans were buried in the ground so the coyotes (and pigs) couldn't knock them over and spread the trash around.

Last edited by Berwin; 03-18-2023 at 06:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2023, 06:49 AM
Default plus

I love north Dallas BUT what would I do all day - gold, pickleball, clubs here just can't be beat.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:54 AM
Default Well I retired in Arizona and moved to Florida after 13 years in AZ

I lived my life in Buffalo NY and retired early at 56 and moved to Sun Lakes Arizona. It's like Sun City but smaller and in the southern part of Phoenix. We lived there for about 13 years and liked it until we made a trip to Florida to visit my wife's sister in Deltona while we were visiting we took a trip to the Villages and just fell in love bought a house on that trip and sold our place in AZ. 6 weeks later we were here. That was 2 years ago and don't regret it we just love it here. Arizona was nice no humidity plenty of sunshine. But no grass no real lakes, trees, and everything was brown.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:08 AM
Sage

We visited friends in Southern AZ in the early 2000's. They showed us all around, even checked out houses. BUT we decided there and then AZ wouldn't be for us. The landscape was too brown and boring....then the dry air too. It might be for some folks but not for us! There are pluses and minuses for all locations. I used to think Hawaii would be perfect---but the distance from "home" was too vast, then the cost of living there. "Paradise" is where you make it.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:20 AM
Default Totally Agree

Your experience and mine are almost identical.. did the same comparison with the same results! Been here almost 13 years and never regretted my decision once!!

QUOTE=Michael 61;2198690]I did my homework (like daily) religiously for about five years on The Villages in Florida and Sun City and Sun City West in Arizona. Living in Colorado, and still in my early 50s, I was looking ahead to where I wanted to retire. Most people in Colorado seem to retire in Arizona vs Florida, due to proximity. I visited Del Web’s Sun City, Sun City West and Sun City Grand multiple times. I always visited in the middle of summer, to see if I could stand the heat. When my employer offered me early retirement (which I took) while still in my late 50s, I wasn’t prepared to move yet, so I stayed in Colorado for a year to figure things out. There were things I liked about Sun City, but also things I didn’t. I was ready to take the plunge and move to Sun City West when I decided for the heck of it to take a lifestyle visit to The Villages, since I had already done so much research on it, I wanted to see it in person (but had not intention of moving here). Came here last summer and The Villages blew me away and I immediately decided to move here. Here are my personal reasons I picked The Villages over Sun City West: 1) More younger retirees- Sun City West feels like an old folks home, and not as active 2) Dedicated golf cart paths (Sun City West has none) 3) Town Squares with nightly entertainment 4) A self-contained community(the Bubble) - Sun City West feels like a suburb of sprawling Phoenix 5) Beauty and colorful - Sun City West is boring beige and very little natural, living landscaping 6) Way more activities /clubs/ golf 7) Purchased new home here for what I would have paid for a 1980s duplex-style condo in Sun City West 8) No state income tax here 9) People seem way friendlier and happier here (shattered the stereotype of East Coasters being more aloof and distant than West Coasters) 9) Winters not as cold as they can be in Arizona 10) proximity to the beach and I can drive to Lauderdale/Miami to catch a cruise.

Wondering if anyone else compared these two 55+ communities before deciding on The Villages.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-18-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:

No we did not - but thanks for asking.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Yes, we did. We stayed in Sun City West for a week and we visited a couple of other communities. We had already been to The Villages and really wanted to move here but the prices had gone up too much. We were not at all impressed with Sun City. You described the situation perfectly except I did find the residents to be active. Older age doesn’t bother us as we actually get along better with people older than us. I do love AZ and sometimes wish I was there partly because I have family there and nearby in CO. I love TV but dislike FL immensely so pretty much stay in the bubble.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 532 Posts

Arizona would be #49 in choosing a place to live, South Dakota has the top spot. No actually..... I would live in North Dakota before Arizona. It's the ugliest place ever, it's like driving on the moon. No grass, no trees. Rattlesnakes, scorpions and tarantulas. Plants that bite. I wouldn't risk my dogs getting Valley fever.... You couldn't pay me to live in that gawdawful place.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:

All good reasons! Plus, we have water, and Arizona will soon be having to ration water. Wait until swimming pools are banned there. Also, even in midsummer, even though it is much more humid here, it is much hotter there. 105° to 115° is not unusual.
Closed Thread

Tags
sun, city, west, villages, arizona

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.