Villages - general question

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
And there is no age guideline/rule/ratio for resales.
Also not true. Lots of people believe that, but there is a process that takes place. I know this because I just recently looked into how TV insures that we do not go below 80%.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
No. A 19 yo can purchase and live full time in the house alone. As long as the community has above 80% 55+ occupancy. There are many couples in there early 50s living here.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

At least 80% of the homes must be occupied by at least one person 55 or older in order to qualify as an "age restricted community". I am not sure how that is monitored, but I would be willing to bet my 401K that we are not even close to 20% being occupied by under 55 couples or families. Yes there are a few and I have met a couple but there are over 50,000 homes in TV and there are NOT 10,000 that have no one over 55.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Those that wish to do some reading, search for information on the Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA). You can see for yourself that many if the things that you have heard are not accurate.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Sage

There are actually just shy of 62,000 homes in The Villages. While I am not positive, I believe they can monitor ages via The Villages ID cards. I also know several couples under 55 and I agree that it is very unlikely that we are anywhere close to 20% under 55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
At least 80% of the homes must be occupied by at least one person 55 or older in order to qualify as an "age restricted community". I am not sure how that is monitored, but I would be willing to bet my 401K that we are not even close to 20% being occupied by under 55 couples or families. Yes there are a few and I have met a couple but there are over 50,000 homes in TV and there are NOT 10,000 that have no one over 55.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
And there is no age guideline/rule/ratio for resales.
Quote:
Also not true. Lots of people believe that, but there is a process that takes place. I know this because I just recently looked into how TV insures that we do not go below 80%.
Although I agree with eweissenbach and I'm sure it's fine, I'm curious how TV monitors the 80% rule on new houses and resales.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Veteran member
Default 55 over and under

Quote:
Please tell me what you learned. Also tell me if you believe TV powers care. I recall a posting where a resident said the developer stated the company couldn't do anything about loser kids living here; no authority over what goes on inside a home. And what goes on outside a home is the district's problem.

So, tell me, who's regulating this 80/20 rule?
Old 08-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
But if you are 19, you can PURCHASE a home in the Villages. Buying a home doesn't mean living in one, or occupying one.

You don't have to be 55 or older to PURCHASE any home in the Villages at all. You only have to be 19 or older. You can be 19 years old, buy 4 Designer homes in the Villages, and rent every single one of them out to 55+ couples if you want. You just can't live in it permanently if you are not living with at least one resident who is 55 or older (notwithstanding the 80/20 rule).

If a 55-year-old lives in the house, then their 19-year-old child is allowed to live there too. That 19-year-old is not allowed to use the adult pools, because there is a 30+ age restriction on those pools. But yes, they may live there. That 19-year-old is not allowed to live there by himself, unless that 80/20 exemption is applied.

The law says that at least one person residing in 80% of the homes must be 55 or older. It does not forbid 19 year olds from living there too.

The deed restrictions prevent 19-year-olds from being the sole occupant of the home, and they prevent families, none of whom are at least 55 years old, from residing in the home (except in the areas designated for families, notwithstanding the 80/20 law, which is a law, not a policy).
Quote:
No. A 19yo can purchase and live full time in the house alone. As long as the community has above 80% 55+ occupancy. There are many couples in there early 50s living here.

Again. So much misunderstanding about this subject.
The misunderstanding is on your part, since you're the one who is agreeing with everything I said, while at the same time saying "no."
Old 08-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

For anyone who wishes to know the FACTS re 55+ Communities rules, regs, statutes, law, and much more - here's the site for you"
Housing-55 & Older Communities — Florida Commission on Human Relations

The brief summary is:
Housing for Older Persons Requirements

Federal Register 24 CFR Part 100; section 760.24-760.37 (4a), Florida Statutes

For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:

At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.

The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.

The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.

And my bet is that the Admin Office of TV knows the birthday and date of anyone who has applied for their Villagers ID!

Old 08-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
For anyone who wishes to know the FACTS re 55+ Communities rules, regs, statutes, law, and much more - here's the site for you"
Housing-55 & Older Communities — Florida Commission on Human Relations

The brief summary is:
Housing for Older Persons Requirements

Federal Register 24 CFR Part 100; section 760.24-760.37 (4a), Florida Statutes

For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:

At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.

The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.

The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.

And my bet is that the Admin Office of TV knows the birthday and date of anyone who has applied for their Villagers ID!
Bingo!

Essentially if a community complies with these guidelines and remains in compliance it is allowed to practice age discrimination otherwise countrary to federal laws prohibiting housing discrimination of any kind.

It is a piece of cake for TV to monitor its compliance through it's amenities ID system.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-07-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Please tell me what you learned. Also tell me if you believe TV powers care. I recall a posting where a resident said the developer stated the company couldn't do anything about loser kids living here; no authority over what goes on inside a home. And what goes on outside a home is the district's problem.

So, tell me, who's regulating this 80/20 rule?
Not sure why you want to talk about "loser kids". They "can't do anything about it" because they are living here legally.

Yes, of course they care. If the community goes below 80%, we lose our 55+ designation and can never get it back. It is monitored, and currently we are about 93%. All sales are reviewed by 'The Developer', including resales.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

I don't want to talk about "loser kids." I was quoting another poster. Furthermore, are you saying even re-sales are reviewed by the developer? Really?
Old 08-08-2019, 07:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Wow! So many experts..all with conflicting information.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Although I agree with eweissenbach and I'm sure it's fine, I'm curious how TV monitors the 80% rule on new houses and resales.
All who live here supposedly have resident or guest I.D.s, right? I think you have to provide a birth date info to obtain an I.D. So District.gov should know who lives here and how old they are (provided they have a way to correct their data when someone passes on).
Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I don't want to talk about "loser kids." I was quoting another poster. Furthermore, are you saying even re-sales are reviewed by the developer? Really?
Yes, I was told that all sales, including re-sales of exiting properties, are reviewed.

I asked about this because I know that lots of 55+ communities (for example high rise condo buildings) control to 100% 55+. They have a process for approving all sales. So, there must be a process here to ensure that we do not fall below 80%.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.