Villages - general question

Villages - general question

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
To be considered a 55+ retirement community, at least 80% of the homes have to be owned/occupied by at least one person 55 years old or older. Up to 20% can be owned/occupied by individuals who are not yet 55; but a person must be 19 or older to live here full time. I believe there are two villages here that are "family villages, but I do not know for sure.

I have not seen statistics that show the percentage of homes presently occupied by 55+.
Ownership is not considered in the law creating 55+. The requirement is that 80percent of dwellings must have one or more occupants 55 or over. They
can all be freeloaders, parents, renters or whatever .

Old 08-07-2019, 03:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
One person does not have to be 55 to live in the house. There is an 80 20 rule. No one under 19 can live in The Villages unless they live in the “family” areas
But if you are 19, you can PURCHASE a home in the Villages. Buying a home doesn't mean living in one, or occupying one.

You don't have to be 55 or older to PURCHASE any home in the Villages at all. You only have to be 19 or older. You can be 19 years old, buy 4 Designer homes in the Villages, and rent every single one of them out to 55+ couples if you want. You just can't live in it permanently if you are not living with at least one resident who is 55 or older (notwithstanding the 80/20 rule).

If a 55-year-old lives in the house, then their 19-year-old child is allowed to live there too. That 19-year-old is not allowed to use the adult pools, because there is a 30+ age restriction on those pools. But yes, they may live there. That 19-year-old is not allowed to live there by himself, unless that 80/20 exemption is applied.

The law says that at least one person residing in 80% of the homes must be 55 or older. It does not forbid 19 year olds from living there too.

The deed restrictions prevent 19-year-olds from being the sole occupant of the home, and they prevent families, none of whom are at least 55 years old, from residing in the home (except in the areas designated for families, notwithstanding the 80/20 law, which is a law, not a policy).
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 03:18 PM
Sage

And there is no age guideline/rule/ratio for resales.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
No one under 19 can live in The Villages unless they live in the “family” areas
The family areas are commonly considered to be part of TV.
However, technically they are not part of The Villages.
They are not supposed to use the amenities for which Villagers pay.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
But if you are 19, you can PURCHASE a home in the Villages. Buying a home doesn't mean living in one, or occupying one.

You don't have to be 55 or older to PURCHASE any home in the Villages at all. You only have to be 19 or older. You can be 19 years old, buy 4 Designer homes in the Villages, and rent every single one of them out to 55+ couples if you want. You just can't live in it permanently if you are not living with at least one resident who is 55 or older (notwithstanding the 80/20 rule).

If a 55-year-old lives in the house, then their 19-year-old child is allowed to live there too. That 19-year-old is not allowed to use the adult pools, because there is a 30+ age restriction on those pools. But yes, they may live there. That 19-year-old is not allowed to live there by himself, unless that 80/20 exemption is applied.

The law says that at least one person residing in 80% of the homes must be 55 or older. It does not forbid 19 year olds from living there too.

The deed restrictions prevent 19-year-olds from being the sole occupant of the home, and they prevent families, none of whom are at least 55 years old, from residing in the home (except in the areas designated for families, notwithstanding the 80/20 law, which is a law, not a policy).
No. A 19yo can purchase and live full time in the house alone. As long as the community has above 80% 55+ occupancy. There are many couples in there early 50s living here.

Again. So much misunderstanding about this subject.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
And there is no age guideline/rule/ratio for resales.
Also not true. Lots of people believe that, but there is a process that takes place. I know this because I just recently looked into how TV insures that we do not go below 80%.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
No. A 19 yo can purchase and live full time in the house alone. As long as the community has above 80% 55+ occupancy. There are many couples in there early 50s living here.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Sage

Location: Smithville (Kansas City) Mo./ Megan Villas, Sanibel TV

At least 80% of the homes must be occupied by at least one person 55 or older in order to qualify as an "age restricted community". I am not sure how that is monitored, but I would be willing to bet my 401K that we are not even close to 20% being occupied by under 55 couples or families. Yes there are a few and I have met a couple but there are over 50,000 homes in TV and there are NOT 10,000 that have no one over 55.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Veteran member

Those that wish to do some reading, search for information on the Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA). You can see for yourself that many if the things that you have heard are not accurate.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Platinum member

There are actually just shy of 62,000 homes in The Villages. While I am not positive, I believe they can monitor ages via The Villages ID cards. I also know several couples under 55 and I agree that it is very unlikely that we are anywhere close to 20% under 55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
At least 80% of the homes must be occupied by at least one person 55 or older in order to qualify as an "age restricted community". I am not sure how that is monitored, but I would be willing to bet my 401K that we are not even close to 20% being occupied by under 55 couples or families. Yes there are a few and I have met a couple but there are over 50,000 homes in TV and there are NOT 10,000 that have no one over 55.