The Villages goes WOKE

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2023, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It matters to me, and my family came to this country before proof of intention, proof of citizenship, passports - existed. All they needed was to prove they weren't ill, proof of their name and previous address, and they had an address in the states where they'd be staying.
And that was the law at the time...

Quote:
Currently, under those previous criteria, they would be considered "undocumented immigrants." There are actually hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants that came here from Italy, and families of hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants that came here from Ireland. Millions that came here from various parts of Europe during and immediately following WWII. And some, like my family, who came before WWII but after WWI.

They weren't called illegal aliens then either. Most of them were called refugees. Some were called immigrants. Criminals were called criminals, whether they were refugees, immigrants, or citizens.
They had papers. They had to pass a physical to enter. They had to have a relative, or a sponsor...

And MANY were turned away...

Quote:
"Illegal" isn't a noun. It just isn't. You don't have to like it, and you live in the Free State of Florida so you can use the word however you see fit. But you'd be incorrect, as is everyone else who uses the word as a noun. Illegal is an adjective.
Repeating incorrect information doesn't make it correct. Parsing out part of the description doesn't change the meaning.

By your logic, there are no "illegal firearms", or "illegal drugs"...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-08-2023, 04:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I didn't find that in the first three pages. Could you provide the number of the post that I missed?

There *was* an article linked on the first page. That article reports that the name was changed to avoid offending anyone. That is what I remember too.

I'm sure the Villages made the change to keep up with industry standards. There is nothing to gain by digging in their heels and insisting on using a word that has become obsolete.

The reason for the change was foolish but neither hurts me nor offends me. Those who argue so vehemently against it frighten me.
I just think it's a stupid change... A solution in search of a problem...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-08-2023, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Merriam-Webster believes otherwise.
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 02-08-2023, 04:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Perfectly hits the nail on the head re the Woke topic. I’m the OP and it’s fascinating to read some of the Woke-supporting commentary here. You are SO right. It’s WHY. Simply to satisfy a small minority which pushes for changes as these. Always seems to be the Fringe pushing… I’m all for change and progression for a reason. I have a Masters Degree too. …oh boy…

BTW I’m a Mr. not a they/them. Yet another irritation. Why????
The tech community is also "struggling" with the language police...

"Master" and "Slave" computers?

Tech Confronts Its Use of the Labels ‘Master’ and ‘Slave’ | WIRED

-Tom Petty
Old 02-08-2023, 04:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Has anyone mentioned The Masters golf tournament?
It's held in GEORGIA!!!

Let the hand wringing begin!

-Tom Petty
Old 02-08-2023, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Well said. The next generation is changing certain words. So did my generation. We don't say things that were said in the 50's. The reasons for change were exactly the same.

The world belongs to the next group as we enjoy the fruits of our labor. They will not ruin the world (as our grandparents thought we would).
There are things about today's modern world that are superior to our grandparents' day. Like getting an item delivered from Amazon in one or two days. Also, better movies and MORE of them, costing less per movie. And a lot of other things.
.......BUT, there were superior things about our grandparents' day also. Fewer murders for one. Healthier meals on average with more home cooking. The average middle-class home could get by and live well on just one person's wages. Global Warming did NOT exist. Animal species were NOT going extinct at today's rate. And there were NO dark websites. There was a VERY LARGE middle class and NO worldwide Pandemics. College was affordable. CEOs made ONLY about 15 times their average line employee. And, of course, my personal favorite, there was a PROGRESSIVE tax system where the uber-rich did not dominate the system.
.......So, some things were better and some things were worse.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 02-08-2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:01 PM
Default Wokeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Language evolves. Old terms and phrases go away in favor of something else. No one says "twenty three skidoo" or "outa sight" anymore. No big deal.

Please pull your head out of the ground.
Our country is in trouble, partly due to "WOKENESS"
Old 02-08-2023, 05:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
The word is just six letters from the alphabet organized in a particular way. There is another six-letter word that would likely get me banned if I used in in this post. It too is just six letters from the alphabet but it has a usage and a meaning that is offensive.

If we put aside our anti-woke chest thumping for just a moment and think about it we might just see where a particular usage of the word master could be objectionable. At the very least, the term master bedroom is uncomfortable to some potential purchasers. Why would a company desiring to sell homes choose to hold onto a term that would drive some of their customers away?
Yes, I'm sure people won't buy a house because they use the term "Master Bedroom"...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-08-2023, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Learning about the Tulsa Massacre made me stop and think that jealousy about someone else getting ahead is NEVER a good idea. And I think that if something like that NEVER took place that the US probably would be a STRONGER Country and today we would ALL have a better standard of living. Hatrids and Greed have a way of backfiring both then and today.
I can not see what relation your response is to my post,,This manipulating of semantics accomplishes what ?
Old 02-08-2023, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Aaaand there it is...

Anti-Woke is now RACIST! What a crock...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-08-2023, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
The major reason for being 36th in math worldwide is a failure to spend enough money on teachers, staff, librarians, books, audio-visual equipment, and educational software. The generations with the money do NOT want to be TAXED enough to get the US into the top ten. I wonder why the Scandinavian Countries do NOT have that problem? US CEOs seem to make enough money.
Yup. Just throw more money at it... Even though we spend 3-4 times the amount per student in the failing schools than the successful schools...

Only the educational mecca of Luxembourg spends more money per student than the US...

OECD: expenditure per student on education 2019 | Statista

-Tom Petty
Old 02-08-2023, 05:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
TRUE. "White-washing" History seems DISHONEST, sneaky, and self-serving. Those that ignore History are forced to repeat its MISTAKES.
Good thing no one is doing that...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-08-2023, 05:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Really? The covered wagons are all gone?
Covered wagons today are called convertibles. Same idea.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't think you get it. It is the REASON for these changes that urk me. This "woke" generation is abysmal.
We live in the free state of anti-wokeism. Where teachers are the enemy and books are to be BURNED. AKA Farenheight 451
Old 02-08-2023, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Aaaand there it is...

Anti-Woke is now RACIST! What a crock...
Kind of a simplistic response to a legitimate concern which some people are using for their own promotions. Turning it into bumper sticker like approachs to long years of experiences of many people.
Closed Thread

Tags
words, softness, spreading, country, hurt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.