The Villages goes WOKE

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

I worked in factory automation for years. We had cascade control algorithms that incorporated a master and a slave control loop. I wonder when the wokes will rename them.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
I worked in factory automation for years. We had cascade control algorithms that incorporated a master and a slave control loop. I wonder when the wokes will rename them.
A few years back if I remember correctly.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-07-2023, 03:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,682 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
I’ve noticed over the last few weeks that TV new home floor plans label the “Master” suite and bath as “Primary”.

A subtle indication of softness which is spreading across our country. Words hurt? It continues for anything that may “offend” someone in our language use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
Wokeism: A good way to destroy our youngster's brain...
This Principle is in charge of that Primary School.
I'm in charge of my Master Bedroom!
So if both posts are accepted as truth, then it logically follows that calling a "Master Suite" the "Primary Suite", is a "good way to destroy our youngster's brain"...

got it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,681 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
BS!
Again more of the tail wagging the dog!

Bingo!
Old 02-07-2023, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
What are they calling plantation shutters these days?
LOL Good one!

As an aside........our home has a master bedroom and master suite. That is what they were labeled when we purchased the home and we still refer to them with those names today.

Last edited by coffeebean; 02-07-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

When I want to sleep tonight, I'll go to my Master Bedroom and in the morning I'll make some Aunt Jemima Pancakes.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
First off I see people using Woke all of a sudden and have no idea what that is or means.

Second, while watching HVTV and Magnolia Channels they use Primary rather than Master and it drives me crazy. These words do not need to be changed, people read too much into things and they just change too much. These must be the same people trying to change or eliminate our history.
Yup.....too much "woke" stuff going on. I do understand why the use of the word "master" is frowned upon by the woke generation but I do not agree with any of that stuff. It is infuriating to see our history being erased.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:17 PM
Default Not evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Language evolves. Old terms and phrases go away in favor of something else. No one says "twenty three skidoo" or "outa sight" anymore. No big deal.
This is not a case of evolving language. This is part of the continued WOKE attack on our language and history. Our country, life, liberty, and freedom of speach are all a big deal.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson View Post
This is not a case of evolving language. This is part of the continued WOKE attack on our language and history. Our country, life, liberty, and freedom of speach are all a big deal.
Agree. I have seen it with my own eyes what indoctrination can do the the minds of young people. My niece went to a college in Boston and had a long period of time that she and her father did not speak to each other. Sad really.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,681 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson View Post
Agreed. Slang is one thing. Established language written and spoken in grammatically correct form is quite another.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Another day, another topic to rile up the old people. A lot of hand-wringing for nothing.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Veteran member

NBA changed the word "owners" to "governors"

I wonder what are they gonna do about the Masters golf tournament. Surely they have to change that name.

In NY they changed the name from inmates to incarcerated individual.

Master comes from the Latin word magistier, which means chief.

How about Master Carpenter, does that have to go?

I get a kick out of the word game mental gymnastics. lol.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,272 Times in 4,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
This is far from unique to The Villages.
Access Denied.

Why the Change?

Real estate professionals and trade associations regularly examine whether a term commonly used in real estate advertising or that is part of the lexicon is appropriate with the room, feature or property it’s associated with.

What’s a Better Name for This Room?

The most popular choice throughout the real estate industry to replace “master bedroom” is “primary bedroom,” which notes the room’s prominence.

Keskinkaya says she hears people correcting themselves as they work to break the habit of what they call the main bedroom of a home. “They’ll say, ‘Is this the master – I mean, primary – bedroom?” she says. “It’s starting to become the normal.”
No one said it was "unique to TV"...

It was just opined that they are jumping on the language police bandwagon...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-07-2023, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,272 Times in 4,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
NBA changed the word "owners" to "governors"

I wonder what are they gonna do about the Masters golf tournament. Surely they have to change that name.

In NY they changed the name from inmates to incarcerated individual.

Master comes from the Latin word magistier, which means chief.

How about Master Carpenter, does that have to go?

I get a kick out of the word game mental gymnastics. lol.
I can't wait until they change the title and words to one of my favorite songs in "Les Misérables"...

"Primary Resident of the House!"

-Tom Petty
Old 02-07-2023, 05:12 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
I’ve noticed over the last few weeks that TV new home floor plans label the “Master” suite and bath as “Primary”.

A subtle indication of softness which is spreading across our country. Words hurt? It continues for anything that may “offend” someone in our language use.
LOL, LOL, LOL, most of the age group looking here would just assume leaving out an IMPORTANT feature (in an effort to "rename" it) would just cause them to move on from that ad, LOL ! Wonder what will be NEXT ? NO MORE Master planning for community councils ? No more Master plumbers or electricians... all EQUALLY mediocre ? Can't wait to see what they call the most experienced captains at sea... no more Master mariners ! Let's see, good thing they no longer make the American made "Mix Masters", it was THE food mixer to have when my gram made the cookies and goodies from the day after thanks giving on until Christmas ! No more "mastering" the art of painting, or ballet, or calligraphy ? Such a sad, sad, word. Trying to RE-define, eliminate, and entire language does have it's perks....it is part of erasing the culture of a people ! Orwell, Pasternak, Stalin, Lenin, etc. Foolish people, foolish villages real estate people, jump on the latest "band wagon", who cares where it's headed !
Closed Thread

Tags
words, softness, spreading, country, hurt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.