Are The Villages homes insulated for cold?

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default If one wall is cold

We had one wall in our bedroom when we lived in Atlanta that just radiated cold in the winter. As we also had noise from the Heat Pump compressor on the other side of the wall we fired out and added another layer of insulation (make sure to take out the old and replace total as I was told if you sandwich the foil in the middle it's a problem) It made it quiet and much much warmer. It means a mess and drywall and paint too but it solved the problem on the north side of the house.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When our previous home was being built, I did a Manual J heat load calculation to see how much HVAC we needed. The HVAC contractor did also and we were pretty close to each other. I was surprised to see that most of the heat gain/loss was through the windows. The conclusion I reached is that you need "enough" insulation in the walls but beyond a certain point it doesn't make much difference. We have a concrete block house in The Villages and I know it was built to code but I suspect a bit more insulation in the walls would have been worthwhile. Our previous home was something like R-20 in the walls which probably explains why the windows were the main area of heat loss/gain. I knew this going in and didn't stop me from buying in The Villages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNJ View Post
Lyle: Those certainly would have been nice options to have! Would have probably opted to do that for sure!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

TV houses are built and insulated to existing building codes .... nothing more and nothing less
Old 01-11-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
TV houses are built and insulated to existing building codes .... nothing more and nothing less
just wish the building code had a little OCD. Maybe my windows (that let all the cold come in ) were centered....hanging drapes are tough!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.