Villages Hospital Low Ratings

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Entitled residents who go there for a hangnail cause the turn times, and if you read reviews on this site, the same people who bitch about the hospital bitch about pretty much everything.

I've read the reviews, but anyone I have talked to that ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED the hospital has mostly good things to say about the care they received. I have not used the hospital but did take a friend to the ER who got a face full of softball and they were all over it, and quickly.

Miserable people are only happy when they are miserable.
Sorry, but I disagree. I would challenge you to search my postings and find a negative one. I think your experience at TV Hospital is largely dependent on which department you are admitted to. I have had excellent care in the cardiac ward but my wife, on a weekend, was largely ignored in the ER. It is a long story, but after doing virtually nothing Saturday, Sunday and half a day on Monday, being in tremendous pain, so much that she could not lie down to sleep, they finally told her we had to take her someplace else because they couldn’t help her. Dr. Oduntan, at Shands, saved her life. I too hope U of F will find a way to change the attitudes and non-actions of the staff but, until their hospitals ratings go up, I am never going there again and I would recommend you consider doing the same for anything serious.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:28 AM
Default The Villages Hospital

I love living in The Villages. The only negative and unfortunate aspect of living here is the medical care, specifically our hospitals. As a former health care professional and former volunteer at The Villages hospital, I see that although the Administration is trying to improve its ratings, it is still far from being at a 3 or 4+ rating.

Why?
In my humble opinion and observation, the areas needing improvement are:
1. Emergency room -
A. better staffing,
B. Staff attitude- teach and enforce caring and compassionate patient care by the providers!
C. Improve timeliness in the ED! Biggest gripe with the most negative reviews.

2. Communication- (or lack thereof), mainly by physician to patient and or family!

3. Physicians! The hospital contracts with a hospitalist group. Is there any buy in and anything at stake by these contracted doctors/ hospitalists? They need to be accountable and committed to vastly improve their communication skills with patients and their families and be able to provide high quality medical care.

How can we attract high quality practitioners here???

Nursing care seems to be good once the patient is on a unit. Yay!

So most of my friends here say, including moi, if we have to be admitted to a hospital, go somewhere else!

Yes I will send this to Administration.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
I can’t use the hospital or medical services here at The Villages because they use some proprietary insurance thing and don’t accept Blue Cross/Blue Shield. AdventHealth/Waterman in Tavares is rated #3 in the Orlando Area and #28 in the state, and that’s a mile above the hospital here. It’s 35 minutes from my house. AdventHealth/Waterman is tied to AdventHealth/Orlando, however, and U.S. News and World Report says that is the #1 hospital in Florida. However, it is also gigantic, while Waterman is new and cozy.

Here are the criteria used for the ratings: “ To help patients decide where to receive care, U.S. News generates hospital rankings by evaluating data on nearly 5,000 hospitals in 16 adult medical specialties, 10 adult procedures or conditions and 10 pediatric specialties. To be nationally ranked in a specialty, a hospital must excel in caring for the sickest, most medically complex patients. In most specialties, the top 50 hospitals are nationally ranked and additional hospitals may be recognized as high performing. Hospitals that do well in multiple areas of adult care may be ranked in their state and metro area. The ratings in procedures and conditions focus on typical Medicare patients and eligibility is based on the number of patients treated. See details for the quality measures that factored into each evaluation.”

If you go to AdventHealth doctors at The Villages, they can steer you to AdventHealth/Waterman if needed or get you into AdventHealth/Orlando if you have an especially difficult case.

One thing I want to make clear: the rating of the hospital is not based on the nursing care, or at least only partly, as when administration won’t hire enough nurses. In my experience, even hospitals with low rankings may have many really wonderful nurses and other staff, and the hospitals may be clean and modern and attractive. Hospitals that don’t treat thousands of the sickest or poorest patients, aren’t regional trauma centers, and don’t have a legion of interns and residents using patients as learning tools tend to have lower ratings. Yet most patients don’t need those things, and they may make a hospital more dangerous. Many excellent surgeons actually don’t want to work at a “teaching hospital” because the teaching takes a lot of time that could be used making more money. Few doctors get rich these days, so I can’t blame them for wanting more patients and not wanting to live in a big city.
When did TV hospital stop accepting BC/BS ?
Old 02-19-2021, 08:48 AM
Default Villages hospitals low rating

On May 23,2020 I suffered a cardiac arrest in Sam's parking lot. Two "angels" emerged from the watching crowd and offered my wife assistance with me and pounced on my
chest with CPR until the EMS arrived. EMS shocked me and took me to the Regioinal Hospital ER. 4% of cardiac arrest people who suffer cardiac arrest out of the hospital survive, The rest die. I woke up 24 hours later in ITC and stayed there for 3 weeks. Because of the 'angels" , EMS and the hospital, I'm alive. THe treatment was as good as it gets with any hospital. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I haven't found the"angels" to thank them for my life, but I have thanked the hospital for their services. Thank God they were there.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

The number of incorrect diagnoses given by "doctors" in The Villages hospital is off the charts. If you need a good diagnostician don't go there. Try Shands or Orlando or even Ocala first.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
I know the rating have been low but I thought Shands took over managing the hospital last year. It will take some time for the ratings to improve but I an guessing things are improving.
Keep guessing. Improvement - NOT.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
The number of incorrect diagnoses given by "doctors" in The Villages hospital is off the charts. If you need a good diagnostician don't go there. Try Shands or Orlando or even Ocala first.
And you know this how?????
Please enlighten us with the number of diagnoses made and the number that were incorrect, and how you are privy to this info
Until then, I call BS
Old 02-19-2021, 09:13 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And you know this how?????
Please enlighten us with the number of diagnoses made and the number that were incorrect, and how you are privy to this info
Until then, I call BS
There are some of us here that actually respect your professional opinion yet you have not commented at all on this. If you needed to be admitted would you choose this hospital?
Old 02-19-2021, 09:28 AM

I worked at TV Hospital for a brief moment in time. It was an awful experience. The Drs and nurses were very nice and worked hard, but there is a chronic staffing problem. UF has tried to remedy this with very generous compensation packages, but it’s not enough. For the few shifts I worked I was overwhelmed with the heavy workload and lack of support staff. I was extremely worried about the welfare of my patients and the integrity of my professional license. I was not the only employee who felt this way. Fortunately for me I was in a position where I could walk away. A lot of the people working there are dependent on their job. Based on my firsthand experience, I believe the problem is that the local population has severely outgrown the hospital. A new hospital should have been built and ready for business 5 years ago at least.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
I can’t use the hospital or medical services here at The Villages because they use some proprietary insurance thing and don’t accept Blue Cross/Blue Shield. <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
When did TV hospital stop accepting BC/BS ?
Choro&Swing is wrong.

The Villages Hospital does accept BC/BS. The Villages Health primary care offices do not accept BC/BS.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
idk about the report, but we've had fine care from them. my husband was there 3 days last year, & have no complaints. i had to use the er LATE 1 night, & couldnt have been treated better.
There are many problems. First of all they have older patients. Older patients are more likely to die. Obvious but people tend not to see reality. Also, reading these posts they seem to have too much time to complain. Another problem, most are on medicare where the financial compensation is far below market. Read that as money.

I confess I am the average villages age. So far I've not forgotten what it is, was like,
to put up with unreasonable criticism.

Perhaps, ALL should post good as well as bad experiences.

Medical staff. What I did for a living at worst someone lost a few dollars. Imagine you have 15 minutes on average to access a person separate truth from fiction. Lie
could be part of it but people tend to deny from doctors as well as themselves REALITY.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:04 AM

Took my wife there once and some doctor spent 10 minutes giving her heck telling her she shouldn’t be in the emergency room. Left and took her to Leesburg where they found a massive infection in her intestines. Said it was a good thing she came in when she did or she could have died. Since then It’s either Leesburg or Ocala.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:28 AM

Build it and they will come. If you want to improve your hospital, you need to attract good doctors and care staff. They will be younger and need good schools for their children. The villages need to attract some youth or be stuck in a rut. They won’t come for the money or patient load.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

Have lived in Long Island and used some of their very large hospital I can say they are not the best having had first hand experience with two of the largest hospitals in NY these facilities need to have much safe and better care for their patients especially during covid 19 in their ER which I cannot say anything at all good were a lot of people got infected during March of 2020
Old 02-19-2021, 11:03 AM
Default The Villages Hospital

Quote:
I can’t use the hospital or medical services here at The Villages because they use some proprietary insurance thing and don’t accept Blue Cross/Blue Shield. AdventHealth/Waterman in Tavares is rated #3 in the Orlando Area and #28 in the state, and that’s a mile above the hospital here. It’s 35 minutes from my house. AdventHealth/Waterman is tied to AdventHealth/Orlando, however, and U.S. News and World Report says that is the #1 hospital in Florida. However, it is also gigantic, while Waterman is new and cozy.

Here are the criteria used for the ratings: “ To help patients decide where to receive care, U.S. News generates hospital rankings by evaluating data on nearly 5,000 hospitals in 16 adult medical specialties, 10 adult procedures or conditions and 10 pediatric specialties. To be nationally ranked in a specialty, a hospital must excel in caring for the sickest, most medically complex patients. In most specialties, the top 50 hospitals are nationally ranked and additional hospitals may be recognized as high performing. Hospitals that do well in multiple areas of adult care may be ranked in their state and metro area. The ratings in procedures and conditions focus on typical Medicare patients and eligibility is based on the number of patients treated. See details for the quality measures that factored into each evaluation.”

If you go to AdventHealth doctors at The Villages, they can steer you to AdventHealth/Waterman if needed or get you into AdventHealth/Orlando if you have an especially difficult case.

One thing I want to make clear: the rating of the hospital is not based on the nursing care, or at least only partly, as when administration won’t hire enough nurses. In my experience, even hospitals with low rankings may have many really wonderful nurses and other staff, and the hospitals may be clean and modern and attractive. Hospitals that don’t treat thousands of the sickest or poorest patients, aren’t regional trauma centers, and don’t have a legion of interns and residents using patients as learning tools tend to have lower ratings. Yet most patients don’t need those things, and they may make a hospital more dangerous. Many excellent surgeons actually don’t want to work at a “teaching hospital” because the teaching takes a lot of time that could be used making more money. Few doctors get rich these days, so I can’t blame them for wanting more patients and not wanting to live in a big city.
The statement at the beginning of this quote is not accurate. I have used The Villages Hospital twice since living in the Villages. On both occasions, they accepted my Highmark coverage.

Then after reading this today, I contacted my Highmark agent and was told that both UF Leesburg and UF The Villages accept the "Blues".

Don't rely on what people say - check it out yourself! My two cents.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, medicare, rated, hospitals, patients

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.