Villages living only on Social Security

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2022, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
And they want to faze out SS and Medicare!!
"They" do?

Who is "they"?

-Tom Petty
Old 09-16-2022, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Yes, and the vast majority don't live in the villages. Getting the max social security is middle management pay, and there are many people who qualified in the last 20 years. looking at the tables, hitting max social security only required low $100Ks in salary.

So lets say a couple with 1 max and a spouse with 50%, so that is $54K per year, with house and car at $24K per year total expense. still seems doable. Now, this does not mean 2 weeks vacation in Europe and eating out every night. . . etc. means that its doable to live here with the income to spend on groceries.

A single person at the max, that might be too tight, a couple each at 50% that would be tight. The only reason I reference SS is because public and private pension payments are highly varied and not public information like SS. A state teacher's pension, might start out fine, but 20 years in with no cost of living increase, not so much. . again, the options are highly varied, and I am familiar with the SS chart as my sole retirement basis. . .

future former finance guy
Changing the parameters doesn't negate what I said...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-16-2022, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Agree. A million sure isn't what it once was.
You got that right, last week I was talking to a lady at one of the squares , she had just found a Dime, it was of the copper core ones , if it had been an older dime pre 60s (64?) and real silver it would have been worth $1.65
Old 09-19-2022, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
You're assuming that both recipients are receiving the maximum SS payments. The vast majority of people don't receive $3000+/month...
Point 1 - correct observation

Point 2 - true, so what. . . doesn't make anything I said wrong, just biased towards those who tend to buy in the villages in the current environment, due to the price of housing.

Counter point, the vast majority don't live in the Villages, also true, none of these factual observations changes, challenges or refutes anything.

those are just observational facts by you and me, all true.

there is nothing to debate with true observational facts.

so not sure what the response you want with true observational facts.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Point 1 - correct observation

Point 2 - true, so what. . . doesn't make anything I said wrong, just biased towards those who tend to buy in the villages in the current environment, due to the price of housing.

Counter point, the vast majority don't live in the Villages, also true, none of these factual observations changes, challenges or refutes anything.

those are just observational facts by you and me, all true.

there is nothing to debate with true observational facts.

so not sure what the response you want with true observational facts.
Well, you extrapolated your "observational facts" about two people receiving the max from SSD having no problem living in The Villages...

My only problem with that is that I don't believe that the vast majority of Villagers meet that criteria...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-19-2022, 06:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
One bedroom apartments at The Lofts start at $1,600 per month. I don't know of any other one bedroom apartments available in The Villages.
Made me wonder if this source was actually quoting prices from apartments for seniors that "appear" to be within the villages (for people who may only be looking at a map f the area). I recently was trying to help a relative (a senior in her 70's) on a VERY limited budget to find a place here. Those were approximately the prices and costs I was given when I looked at a brand new apartment building for seniors just off 466, and a "stones throw" to our village. Perhaps national publications, etc. really don't realize the details of actually living IN a village, as it really looks like part of the villages on a map. Our relative was not at all concerned since she is not at all interested in golf, or pickle-ball, etc. and is aware that the entertainment in the evenings is paid for by merchants and state tourism grand monies, so anyone is welcome to enjoy.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:42 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
"They" do?

Who is "they"?
Sure hope the poster answers your question ! I too wonder who "they" really are ? Someone at the state level ? or is this MANY people at the federal level ? Did the person mean "congress" in total ... ? It's a very strange posting ! Very little information to go on.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Villages is in top 70 of places with millionaires per capita. Why LSL full of wealth management. Must be talking about historic section that needs a bulldozer
Needs a "bulldozer" ??? I guess we all have our own opinions of course, but we ate at OBCC last week and took a GC ride through OBH's, hadn't been over there for over a year (since our good friends moved to a more southern retirement community). Have others seen what a lovely area it is ? Could not imagine it needs a "bulldozer" ! The smaller homes are so nicely kept, hard to imagine why someone would say that, and the new homes they are building there really surprised us too. Still think the original village and country club is exceptional.

Last edited by Pairadocs; 09-19-2022 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added an omitted part
Old 09-19-2022, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts

About half of US income is earned by households making more than $100,000 per year, with most owning their own homes. https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/...10104432857089

Bloomberg Lisa Abramowicz today

With max Social Security income limit currently at like $140K, that means that slightly less than 50% of the population today qualifies for near max social security. . .

So that's why i made the statement I did, a lot more people have near max SS than one might realize.

I also see the salary and wages of the entire population of 15,000 employees in a utility company across 3 states and 3 segments, gas, electric and transmission, so I have some familiarity with income ranges and potential SS payouts. . I specialize in designing financial forecasting models for corporations, revenues in the billions. . .

but its a web site, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

future former corporate finance guy
Old 09-19-2022, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Needs a "bulldozer" ??? I guess we all have our own opinions of course, but we ate at OBCC last week and took a GC ride through OBH's, hadn't been over there for over a year (since our good friends moved to a more southern retirement community). Have others seen what a lovely area it is ? Could not imagine it needs a "bulldozer" ! The smaller homes are so nicely kept, hard to imagine why someone would say that, and the new homes they are building there really surprised us too. Still think the original village and country club is exceptional.
You know I've got to thank you and compliment you for being a really decent person. When we moved in in 2016 I could have gone for a house with a mortgage or pay off life #1 in N.J. and buy a beautiful Manufactured Home amongst older but phenomenal neighbors and be debt free and do whatever I want whenever I want. I choose door #2 there Monte Hall. I have no regrets whatsoever. We really love it here.

I have had several medical incidents self-inflicted because of slip and fall accidents from being in a rush all the time and I've had to dip into the first million of what we have left. LOL. Other than that we do live on Social Security and still save every month. We are free to go out to dinner 4 or 5 times a week but haven't started that up again since covid started.

The big difference is no $800 to $1000 car payment and taxes that are less per year than we paid per month up north. We have a beautiful Golf Cart that usually looks like it came out of the showroom and we stay up all night when we feel like it and then sleep all day if we want to. This is it. Last chance, gotta live it up. What the hell did I get up at 3 to 4 AM every day for 40-plus years if I'm not going to live it up now?

Against my better judgment, we gave each of our three boys a financial blast because I would rather see them enjoy some better things now instead of giving them the money when I'm taking a dirt nap.

Can you live in The Villages on Social Security only? You better believe it. We just passed the six-year anniversary in Orange Blossom Village and we wouldn't trade it for the world.

P.S. before the new section really took off I had always planned on buying a CYV. When the rates were low and all the best circumstances were available is when I got hurt. When I was on the mend and we went to see some friends with a beautiful house in St. Johns and I fell in love with the idea of a new house. When I was driving home and talking about my plan a few tears came from my wife, I asked what's a matter you? She told me if I wanted to make her happy just stay put in the Love Shack. Case Closed. We're here till the end. If that's what makes her happy then it's the simple life for us and back to the Bonefish a whole lot of times a month.

Thanks for listening. We are not at the top of SS but whatever the $number$ is it made getting up early all those years worth it. Peace Out!
Old 09-20-2022, 04:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
About half of US income is earned by households making more than $100,000 per year, with most owning their own homes. https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/...10104432857089

Bloomberg Lisa Abramowicz today

With max Social Security income limit currently at like $140K, that means that slightly less than 50% of the population today qualifies for near max social security. . .

So that's why i made the statement I did, a lot more people have near max SS than one might realize.

I also see the salary and wages of the entire population of 15,000 employees in a utility company across 3 states and 3 segments, gas, electric and transmission, so I have some familiarity with income ranges and potential SS payouts. . I specialize in designing financial forecasting models for corporations, revenues in the billions. . .

but its a web site, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

future former corporate finance guy
Not many husbands AND wives (spousal equivalent) make the maximum SS taxable salary. This is especially true of people that were born in the 40's and 50's. Most women were stay at home moms. Your argument has more merit for future SS recipients.
Closed Thread

Tags
1br, claim, month, rental, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.