Villages made NEWS again = #1

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Villages made NEWS again = #1

I like to look thru USA Today online most days. They had an article today "These 25 cities are seeing a huge boost in residents as population grows"

Thought I'd check it out to see which FL cities made it. well....

24/7 Wall St. reviewed the percentage change in the populations of 382 U.S. metro areas between 2010 and 2017 to identify the fastest growing American cities. Over that period, some cities' populations expanded by well over 20 percent.

The cities on this list tend to be concentrated in the Southeastern United States. A few of these fastest growing cities are also in Western states that, as a whole, are growing far more rapidly than much of the rest of the country.

1. The Villages, FL
• 2010-2017 population change: +32.8 percent (from 94,279 to 125,165)
• 2010-2017 pop. change due to migration: +38,549
• Largest 12 month change: +5,392 (2013-2014)
• Median household income: $54,562

Link to USAToday article>
Population growth in the US: Cities experiencing a boost in resident
Old 03-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Default Fastest growing city in US - usatoday story

The Villages is #1:

And we're now a part of it! Don't want to jinx our purchase, official closing date is Monday, but Keith & I already signed closing doc, picking up keys next wk when we say goodbye to DC, and HELLO! to The Villages.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:16 AM
Default The Villages IS NOT A CITY it is a development. YOU REALLY NEED TO UNDERSTAND THIS. t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarron01 View Post
The Villages is #1:

And we're now a part of it! Don't want to jinx our purchase, official closing date is Monday, but Keith & I already signed closing doc, picking up keys next wk when we say goodbye to DC, and HELLO! to The Villages.
The Villages is not a City. It is a development. You really need to understand that
Old 03-22-2019, 11:09 AM

Wow.

I just turned 50 and started looking at places to land in retirement. TV popped up pretty fast, and (for all the reasons folks here are familiar with) has stayed at the top of my list. There are many other developers of 55+ communities. Probably the other biggest is Del Webb - who The Developer patterned TV after. But somehow TV seems to have a better formula than the others. You'd think that the other developers would see the growth of TV, salivate at the chance to take customers away, and do what they could to copy & improve upon what TV does - especially the long-established ones like Del Webb. But I haven't seen anyone coming close - maybe I just have TV blinders on.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn1 View Post
The Villages is not a City. It is a development. You really need to understand that
I really do understand that. I pasted the link from the USAToday newspaper, which the newspaper titled 'These are the fastest growing cities in the US', and the pasted link displayed with that title.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
Wow.

I just turned 50 and started looking at places to land in retirement. TV popped up pretty fast, and (for all the reasons folks here are familiar with) has stayed at the top of my list. There are many other developers of 55+ communities. Probably the other biggest is Del Webb - who The Developer patterned TV after. But somehow TV seems to have a better formula than the others. You'd think that the other developers would see the growth of TV, salivate at the chance to take customers away, and do what they could to copy & improve upon what TV does - especially the long-established ones like Del Webb. But I haven't seen anyone coming close - maybe I just have TV blinders on.
Pick the area of the country you might want to move too.
Look at small, medium, large and very large communities. Evaluate what they offer you now and in your old age (say 80 or 90).
Try and live in the area before you buy.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Depends on how you define City. Government, infrastructure, housing, transportation, sanitation, utilities, land use, a density that facilitates interaction between people, government organizations and businesses. Just because it was developed by an individual doesn't mean it isn't a City.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
And New York City was once a colony. Your point?
Old 03-22-2019, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

If it's on The Internet it MUST be right, City - Wikipedia
Old 03-22-2019, 06:32 PM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna

When you put your address on something and it asks for city and state do you put, The Villages, Fl?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
And Virginia and Massachusetts are not states but commonwealths. Semantics
Old 03-22-2019, 07:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
Wow.

In order to duplicate TV you would have to start with thousands of acres of affordable land. Then, you would have to be able to form Community Development Districts to finance the immense amounts of infrastructure that is built prior to selling any homes in a new village. It is my understanding that the only two states that allow CDDs are Florida and Texas and I am not sure about Texas. Schwartz bought a lot of land in a very poor area on the cheap and his son Gary Morse added large swaths of affordable land when he came onboard. Today they are in a financial position to leverage large land acquisitions, which most would not be able to do. JMHO
Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
And Virginia and Massachusetts are not states but commonwealths. Semantics
Kentucky and Pennsylvania are commonwealths as well as Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands. What's the difference between a commonwealth and a state? | Merriam-Webster

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

News, creating news.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Default Welcome!

To; SBarron01 Welcome! You will absolutely love it here. There are lots of activities and lots of great people. And of course a new house to decorate!

And in response to Jim;

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD215 View Post
When you put your address on something and it asks for city and state do you put, The Villages, Fl?
Yes that is correct. And add the zip code of course.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.