The Villages needs a drive-in theater.

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2023, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Drive-in theaters making a comeback | News | The Villages Daily Sun | thevillagesdailysun.com

They could probably make money on a drive-in theater. This after it looks like they are closing the Barnstorm Theater for good.
Ocala Drive in. About 17 miles north on 27/441
Old 02-04-2023, 11:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I think the public need some half decent films on a regular basis before you can get them back to movie theaters.
Inside or out.
I can't believe the number of movies based on comic book characters. I gave up reading comics when I was 11 years old. I like going to a movie theater once in a while but there has to be a movie playing that I have an interest in. That hasn't been the case for a long time now.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:51 PM
Smile drive in theater

We agree. 100%
Old 02-04-2023, 01:12 PM
Default Mosquitoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Seems they could use the polo fields in the evenings to set up a golf cart drive in theater. Show new and old stuff. Would be alot of fun.
Can you say mosquitoes? You probably don't go out at night, but you will be bitten many times by thousands of mosquitoes.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoiron View Post
Can you say mosquitoes? You probably don't go out at night, but you will be bitten many times by thousands of mosquitoes.
They do spray for mosquitoes here in the Villages and usually are quite effective at it.

I was visiting with a woman with a 2 year old and she and her husband take him to the drive-in where the baby's fussing will not be that much of problem for other drive-in goers.

There have been a few instances here in the Villages over the past 17.5 years of going to the movie theaters when there have been very fussy kids watching movies with their parents and/or grandparents.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:04 PM

Sign me up for next summer.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Never happen. There would be way too much potential for damage to the fields. The polo fields here have a reputation for being among the nicest in the world, and they would not risk tearing them up.
The Balloon Festival is there today. Have been to a couple of golf cart drive-in movies ther also.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:58 PM

Sometimes people get tired of being at home! Going to dinnner and a movie is a nice evenings entertainment. Staying at home is what we all had to do during the pandemic
Old 02-04-2023, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob85 View Post
Sometimes people get tired of being at home! Going to dinnner and a movie is a nice evenings entertainment. Staying at home is what we all had to do during the pandemic
The three movie theaters were an option and the Rialto often played older movies as well as foreign ones at times.

Do think that the developers are putting greed over providing a good life to the people who bought homes here.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,249 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
The three movie theaters were an option and the Rialto often played older movies as well as foreign ones at times.

Do think that the developers are putting greed over providing a good life to the people who bought homes here.
How is it "greed" to leave a money making operation closed?

Wouldn't actual greed be to try to squeeze more money out of the squares?

-Tom Petty
Old 02-05-2023, 08:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Drive-in theaters making a comeback | News | The Villages Daily Sun | thevillagesdailysun.com

They could probably make money on a drive-in theater. This after it looks like they are closing the Barnstorm Theater for good.
My first thought was that why would people want to go to a drive-in when not many go to regular movie theaters. But people do go to hear free music on the squares—not most of us, but maybe, what, a thousand a night, total? More? What if we had a drive-in just for golf carts? I attended a golf cart concert at the polo grounds once, and that was fun.

Find a parking lot with limited access and no trees near a town square, maybe play the soundtrack live on YouTube, and only allow double-parked golf carts.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:42 AM
Gold member

A drive in theater???? Too many people can't maneuver the round abouts, can you imagine a car pulling up to you to grab the speaker???? Ugh LOL
Old 02-05-2023, 08:47 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
A drive in theater???? Too many people can't maneuver the round abouts, can you imagine a car pulling up to you to grab the speaker???? Ugh LOL
With today's technology, you won't have to "pulling up to you to grab the speaker"

So now are you a yes??
Old 02-05-2023, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoiron View Post
I was thinking the same think. Hot summer night in Florida? MOSQUITOES!!!. We would be eaten alive!
Old 02-05-2023, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

By far the best option for movies for those who like them on a big screen is the AMC at Lake Square Mall in Leesburg. We've gone there for years. We're talking to more and more Villagers who are going there. $5 Tuesday's. Get AMC's A-List membership if you like to go a few times per month, and for around $24 autopay you can see up to three movies per week, get advanced seating with convenience charges waived, leather recliners, concessions discounts/rewards, and cutting edge audio video technology. When you are paying an average of as little as $2 per movie ticket, you travel cost is more than offset, and you don't have to debate whether each movie you see has to be a 'blockbuster' in order to justify spending the much higher ticket cost you pay anywhere else. Just get out of the house and go enjoy. Plus, contrary to the popular myth that is being perpetrated, there are many good movies coming out, and there always have been, even throughout the pandemic and since. Plus, going to the mall, even though it's not a fancy big city type mall, is a chance to walk inside during heat, rain etc;; and there are some nice stores there, plus bowling, indoor go-carts, arcade, sports bar, and food court.

We also combine the trip to the movies with other errands along the way (and sometimes a trip to Icy King!)

AMC is in my opinion possibly at least one factor in why the Villages is not reopening other theaters; it's a much better option, hard to compete with, for movie lovers.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 02-05-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
theater, drive-in, barnstorm, closing, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.