Increased break-ins and robberies?

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Platinum member
Default Increased break-ins and robberies?

Has anyone heard anything about an increase in Robberies or breakins lately. A friend of mine was speaking with someone from the Villages Sun....they mentioned there had been quite a few lately and had increased.

Just curious to see what the TOTVers know....

Suzy Toronto
Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

I don't know about TV's; however, I have seen on the Nat'l news that bank robberies are up nationwide.
Probably has something to do with the economy. .. .. .. YA THINK ?

Boy the media don't miss a thing
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Banned
Default break ins

it's always wise to keep your doors locked with contractors all around. be alert, keep an eye on your neighbors house, and we all should look out for each other.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Veteran member

Very good advice novelchick
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-09-2009, 02:04 PM

with novelchick and aln. I stopped a break-in. It was my neightbor's house (empty much of the time)and my dog barking scared the robbers.

After chasing all over talking to people who work here, (about my brother-in-laws lost golf club) they all said the same thing. The last 2 years have been hell. A different kind of Villager came in here and they run off with everything. Equipment that had been left at the pools for years disappeared. Games at Rec centers that had been left in game rooms disappeared. Golf clubs disappeared. Even sound systems were taken from Rec centers. Plus these workers have seen the rudness factor go way up. Very Sad!

One more place where things have changed are parking lots.
There has been some reported purse snatching. So just be aware.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default Everything said above may be true...but lest we forget

you are talking about a significantly small number compared to the over all population.
Sometimes specifics used in a general discussion tend to give a distorted impression.
The Villages is as safe and free from crime as it ever has been....significantly better than most.

Of course the population has doubled in recent years....hence the incidences increase along with the population. The same exposures, the same kind of people living and moving here, the same kind of people building and maintaining where we live. Nothing ominous.

Key to not becoming one of the victims.....common sense.

BTK
Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Well, those of you with recreational vehicles in TV RV lots can sleep easier now that the AAC has has voted to spend nearly $19,000 to install cameras in those lots after just three reported break-ins of RV's. How that benefits the rest of us I don't know. The AAC members must be RV owners.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Platinum member

btk:

Well said!

SWR
Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=chacam;181780] The AAC members must be RV owners.[/QUOTE

Okay what's AAC stand for?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts

Wannabe here.

I was looking at the webcams, with my feet next to the radiator. It felt just like being in Florida!

I noticed a golf cart with what looked to be 2 sets of clubs in the back, and nobody around. Made me wonder if that's the way it is in TV, or was someone just being overly trusting?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

F16 1ub
AAC stands for Amenity Authority Committee
For those of us NORTH of 466, we elected a group of people who now control our amenity $$$$$.

And my representative is going to get an e-mail pointing out my dis-satisfaction with his support of the vote to spend $19k on cameras to protect the unused RV's.

I could go on & on but I don't want to hijack this thread.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Wannabe here.

I was looking at the webcams, with my feet next to the radiator. It felt just like being in Florida!

I noticed a golf cart with what looked to be 2 sets of clubs in the back, and nobody around. Made me wonder if that's the way it is in TV, or was someone just being overly trusting?
That's pretty much the way it is. Some folks never take their clubs off the cart.
Being a native New Yorker, TV seems utterly crime free.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Well said BTK. I so agree.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Mom View Post
with novelchick and aln. I stopped a break-in. It was my neightbor's house (empty much of the time)and my dog barking scared the robbers.

After chasing all over talking to people who work here, (about my brother-in-laws lost golf club) they all said the same thing. The last 2 years have been hell. A different kind of Villager came in here and they run off with everything. Equipment that had been left at the pools for years disappeared. Games at Rec centers that had been left in game rooms disappeared. Golf clubs disappeared. Even sound systems were taken from Rec centers. Plus these workers have seen the rudness factor go way up. Very Sad!

One more place where things have changed are parking lots.
There has been some reported purse snatching. So just be aware.

Sorry but other than a few random acts of stupidity, I have not seen what you are describing where I work (one of the villages facilities). As far as golf club thefts, it has always been a good idea not to go to the square with clubs or anything of value left on your cart or to park in the auto parking lot of championship courses with clubs on your cart. Most crimes have been commited by non-villagers who seize an opportunistic moment. Use your head as you would living any where else.

I honestly don't find it to be a "crime wave" and far less than my former home.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Veteran member

Sadly, as the economy declines break-ins and pilfering will increase. People that engage in this type of activity view TV's as an easy mark because they think we are old and feeble. But I pity the intruder that tries to break into my or or my neighbor's home because I have a registered and loaded pistol and am very willing to use it should the need arise.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.