Villages New Open House Policy

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2021, 06:27 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
I wouldn’t be happy with strangers traipsing through my new house either. The Villages is more concerned with pleasing potential buyers than actual buyers like you.
Its not anyones house yet. Under contract. Under contract. Like being in limbo
Old 06-14-2021, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

You signed the contract without reading it? You certainly had the right not to sign the contract The Way it was written and if the villages did not change it you can always go elsewhere
Old 06-14-2021, 06:30 AM

Bait and switch ?
Old 06-14-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
On Friday my wife and I signed a contract on a new house. On Saturday we went by the house and found The Villages was holding an Open House at our new house. I told the agent assigned to the open house that I had purchased the house the night before and I was surprised to see my house being used as an open house and did not appreciate the crowds of people tracking dirt etc. on the carpets. He told me it didn't matter what I wanted, the new policy was that any house under contract could be used for open houses up until closing. He stated The Villages feels that they are paying the electric bill and taking care of the grass, so it's theirs to use as they see fit. People saw the advertisement in the Daily Sun and expected to see the house advertised and were getting mad when told the house was no longer available. But even if they are allowed in, it's still sold. Attending previous open houses where a house becomes under contract has happened to me before, so I understand. But, the house under contract, was always closed and locked never open to view and another house was used for the open house.

I called my agent and explained what was going on, and asked why I was not informed of the new policy. My agent basically said the same thing that people wanted to see the house that was advertised and The Villages had an extreme housing shortage The advertising was sent to the paper in advance and the ad could not be changed. OK, so why not open another unsold house with the same floor plan? In fact, the house across the street from me is the same floor plan.

I understand that someone might want to see a Lantana for instance, but if the house is sold, why open it up to the public? It's not available for purchase anyway. There is a Model Center with all the floor plans available for people to see. With the housing shortage those models should always be open to the public not just a few.

Now some may say I'm wrong for even worrying about this issue, but I've seen open houses were people use bathrooms, climb on counters to check the tops of cabinets, bring their dogs and let them run free (we won't go there), holes punched in walls from door handles, trash thrown on floor, and all kinds of things tracked in. If you buy a house after it's been used as model, you know what you're getting.

So if you have recently purchased a house, you may want to check with your agent to see if your house is on the "rotation list" for open houses. Also check the Daily Sun to see if your house is advertised as being an Open House.

I'm repeating what the agent told me about The Villages new policy. This may or may not truly represent the policy of The Villages.
IMHO, the ‘Firm’ is getting bolder and bolder. Plenty of other homes to show, etc. They could’ve canceled the Open House at the site. I’ve seen that done. Examine house thoroughly at walk-through!
Old 06-14-2021, 06:32 AM

This happened to us in upstate NY nearly 26 years ago. Perhaps it also happened here? We don’t know as we purchased the house while abroad.
When we arrived months later it was in excellent condition. Hope you enjoy your new home and feel welcomed by your new neighbors.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
Seams look a great excuse to demand a deep cleaning before you move in regardless of the condition. Make sure you are present for the cleaning to see it is done to your standards.
Do you demand that after the construction workers leave?

-Tom Petty
Old 06-14-2021, 06:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron32162 View Post
Bait and switch ?
Huh? How so?

-Tom Petty
Old 06-14-2021, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Put a "SOLD" sign in the window. Bet less folks would enter. If it is removed, install another one. I've seen many pre-owned homes that had "Pending" signs displayed. Guess they do not do that with NEW homes?
Old 06-14-2021, 06:47 AM

Guess you don't own it till you close.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:48 AM

If you are confusing The Villages with anything close to a "democracy", you will be in for a rude awakening. This is a one-sided monarchy ruled by the Morse family. They make ALL the rules
Old 06-14-2021, 06:50 AM

Why did you get carpet?
Old 06-14-2021, 07:03 AM

A signed contract is intent to buy subject to conditions like inspection, mortgage... You do not own the house until the closing.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Question to many of you. Why do you continue to live in a place that makes you angry? I mean really, even things that have zero effect on you make you mad????
Old 06-14-2021, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

I still worked on my old house after the person signed a sale contract. There were things that weren't safe and I had to my them safe, so I guess I could have said, "well you signed a contract, it's your problem now", but that would not be right.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Put a "SOLD" sign in the window. Bet less folks would enter. If it is removed, install another one. I've seen many pre-owned homes that had "Pending" signs displayed. Guess they do not do that with NEW homes?
It's not your property to do that...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
house, open, villages, agent, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.