It's official -- I've become a wimp!!!

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default It's official -- I've become a wimp!!!

If anyone had ever told me that I would think 48 degrees in March was cold, I would have looked for the rock they crawled out from. I was born in Germany, lived in snow for much of my life, spent much of my adult life in Northern California. Forty-eight degrees was balmy! So, here I am, curled up under a comforter, jeans, socks, sweatshirt and hoodie, whining to myself I don't want to go outside. This is just pathetic!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

We play golf in the winter here and today we played at 7:02 and I thought I would freeze to death. It must be the wind. At least us wimps will say that, right?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 AM

No, Red, you're not a wimp. It's nippy this morning.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

i prefer to consider your attitude toward today's morning weather as something gained from age and wisdom! and i'll guess that you also know that 'this, too, shall pass'...so why rush to go anywhere!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Sage

You coming down with a cold, Red?

It's been so nice and warm for the past few days...and then...brrrrr. It is a bit nippy. Golf carts passing by my house all have sides down, driver and passengers huddled inside, nice and warm.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Born, raised and lived on the "northern tundra" until moving here in '09. I'm with you in that 48 in March would have seemed "balmy" up there. Consider though that there is a northern wind and that somehow that seems to make the temps here seem cold. I complained all last winter (our coldest, I was told, in some time) and the northern friends/family didn't want to hear it. Our daughter came down in March last year and I said to her, "NOW, do you see what I meant by that??" She had to agree as we both were bundled and shivering on our cart-ride down to the square. The sun coming out somehow makes it all better though. Grey skies and cold wind...make it NOT a pool-day!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Gold member

I got on a plane one morning in Orlando with temps in the low 50s. Got off the plane later that day in New York, temps in the 30s. It felt warmer in NY. That was in my pre-Florida days when I was accustomed to NY winters.
Go figure.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Damp cold v dryer cold

I have always thought that damp cold feels colder. I remember once back when I was in high school in Orlando and flew to Boston for spring break it felt about the same even though it was 15 degrees colder by the numbers.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM

It was 53 when I walked out the door this morning in Massachusetts but it will be 14 tomorrow morning!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Sage

Red - Tomorrow's the only day this week that's going to get ABOVE 48 degrees where we're at in OH! Wonderful.

Bill
Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Western Maryland @ 6.45am= 28%. Why am I still here?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Wimp

I moved down from Minneapolis and played golf in my shorts most of the winter, until last winter when the "allegedly blood thinning" from living south finally kicked in. In fact I would remind friends that in the winter months there are two tribes. The tribe of the long pants and the tribe of the short pants. This AM I played in long pants. By the way despite what some may believe there is a big difference in a dry cold from a damp cold. I lived in both climates and in a damp cold climate the cold goes right to the bone.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I just checked my calendar and in the past couple of months I've played 18 holes on Dec. 11, Dec 31, Jan 4, Feb 23 and Mar 3rd. What really makes it tough is when the green is frozen and your ball lands 10 feet from the cup and it's like hitting a tennis court and the ball bounces 20 yards over the green.

I'm going out tomorrow at 9am, and anytime the temperature hits at least 40 degrees I try and play twice a week all year. I just started playing two years ago at age 58 and I'm hooked. I've broken 80 twice and can't wait for spring to get here in Baltimore.

I actually like it here in the suburbs, but I'm hooked on golf. I lived in Florida for 30 years and I'm actually a graduate of St. Petersburg High and I thought I would never live up north, but I've been here 21 years and have gotten use to it. I'll be coming down for a LSV in April and hopefully moving to TV this summer.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

2 years ago i had to scrape frost off the car in Sarasota. This week I lost feeling in 3 fingers playing golf at Glenview at 8 am untill the sun came out around 11. Up home they expect freezing conditions to continue... So where do I want to be? HOME in the Villages as, at least, it warms up before lunch
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.