The Villages Q2 Real Estate Update

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2022, 12:19 PM
Gold member

Have purchased three new homes over the last several years near Lake Sumter Landing and 466a. At that time we found discounted new build homes because the developer wanted to finish the neighborhood and move onto the next project. There were some good deals to be had.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

They are overpriced. Many will need a roof, ac, water heater etc. better off with new
Old 08-01-2022, 12:57 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower7330@gmail.com View Post
We are looking at some of the new spec homes in the new areas. The prices have gone up from last year but they still aren't as high as the pre owned homes in other areas of TV. My question is why are the preowned homes so much more expensive than the new homes. It doesn't make sense to me.
Can someone please explain this to me?
Location, location, location is a time honored real estate adage.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-01-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Link to the full document.

Q2 Market Update 2022
What percentage of homes are being bought by real estate investment companies this year?
Old 08-01-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
We are looking at some of the new spec homes in the new areas. The prices have gone up from last year but they still aren't as high as the pre owned homes in other areas of TV. My question is why are the preowned homes so much more expensive than the new homes. It doesn't make sense to me.
It’s not unusual to see a pre owned home with $50k of upgrades. Some listings claim $150k of upgrades. A pre owned home less than 10 years old with a bunch of upgrades is a better value than a brand new home.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Also either low or no bond on older homes. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned.)
Old 08-01-2022, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Preowned have-
upgrades done - these can be expensive
Some of the bond paid
bigger yards
Closer to shopping and golf courses
NO TOLLWAY NOISE
Closer to more town squares
Sometimes some furnishings or a golf cart.

I have bought one of each, it all equals out
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-02-2022, 06:05 AM

IMO it’s mostly because upgrades like driveway painting, landscaping and interior upgrades have been done. Bond May also be paid, or paid down.

Personally, I don’t want the traffic that all the shopping areas bring, so that would be a negative on my list.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Location, location, location.

These stats are on Village sales, does not include Realtor sales.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I have heard that but for the other 20% who need a mortgage costs will go up and supply of buyers who can afford this place will go down.
That doesn’t mean the 80% need a mortgage. With mortgage rates at 2 or 3%, you finance, if they jump to 5 or 6%, you pay cash, or finance a much smaller amount.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
Also either low or no bond on older homes. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned.)
That’s impossible, I’ve read on here MANY times, a house with $0 bond is not worth more than a house with a bond balance
Old 08-02-2022, 07:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
It’s almost impossible to generally compare 2 homes, without knowing the details of what’s included.
With a new home, there are always upgrades that need to be made. Most pre owned homes have many thousands of dollars in upgrades. The area around an existing home is most likely fully build out and already has established traffic routes.

As mentioned, established home MIGHT have replacement/maintenance costs sooner.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,685 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
I wasn't aware of this phenomenon. But, as mentioned before, it's tricky to compare prices without looking at the particulars of each home. When I was shopping for a home in TV, I found that pre-owned homes were a better value, IMO, when I factored in upgrades, and bonds. Bonds don't affect the value of the house, unless of course, one can do math.

I also factored in age of roof, HVAC etc etc, and where I wanted to live.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:16 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

5 years ago when we bought a new home the re-sales were also higher and our agent said they always are. We looked at both and chose new because there was no wear and tear on anything and at the time you can pick any lot you wanted and they were cheap. Also took into consideration the new home warranty.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
That’s impossible, I’ve read on here MANY times, a house with $0 bond is not worth more than a house with a bond balance
It was to me when I was buying.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, real, estate, update, email

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.