The Villages Q2 Real Estate Update

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2022, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
It was to me when I was buying.
OK but several real estate sales folks have told us not worth paying off bond unless we are sure to stay in our current house for forseeable future so our bond is still there for now.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
OK but several real estate sales folks have told us not worth paying off bond unless we are sure to stay in our current house for forseeable future so our bond is still there for now.
Different strokes for different folks. I look at it as bad debt, like paying interest on a credit card.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. I look at it as bad debt, like paying interest on a credit card.
We all spend our money as we see fit.

Thinking it is best to decide if we stay in current house for some time before paying off bond and possibly not getting the money back from our buyer.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
The bond is not the same as credit card debt or even mortgage debt. Those debts are debts against an individual that can affect their credit rating and can have other financial consequences, like higher insurance rates. But, the bond is a debt against the property, and does not count as individual debt. The individual homeowner never needs to pay off the bond. But, you do need to pay interest.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:21 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The bond is not the same as credit card debt or even mortgage debt. Those debts are debts against an individual that can affect their credit rating and can have other financial consequences, like higher insurance rates. But, the bond is a debt against the property, and does not count as individual debt. The individual homeowner never needs to pay off the bond. But, you do need to pay interest.
I understand. To me it is like credit card debt because you can't write-off the interest.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Here's a thread on Bond discussion.

Bond questions
Old 08-05-2022, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Here's a thread on Bond discussion.

Bond questions
Doubt that will help, there are only 107 posts on that thread.🤦
Old 08-05-2022, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Doubt that will help, there are only 107 posts on that thread.🤦
Just another Groundhog Day thread... 🤣
Old 08-05-2022, 04:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,685 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
The question of whether to pay it off or not is a different question than whether or not the existence of a bond balance has an effect on the purchase price, or attractiveness of the property compared to other properties.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
The question of whether to pay it off or not is a different question than whether or not the existence of a bond balance has an effect on the purchase price, or attractiveness of the property compared to other properties.
We were told by several real estate professionals that most people will not consider the cost of the bond in deciding on whether to buy a property.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
We were told by several real estate professionals that most people will not consider the cost of the bond in deciding on whether to buy a property.
So buyers don’t consider the fact that buying an asset, has an additional $0/15,000/$35,000 liability?
Old 08-05-2022, 07:22 PM
Default Buy one sell one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
It's been reported up to 80% of home sales here are cash.
That's true, but there is the chain reaction effect. Newcomers have to sell their homes up north to buy in TV. People buying those homes up north will likely have mortgages, and the selling price of those homes may be less due to higher mortgage rates. In turn, the newcomers will have less proceeds to spend on their new home in TV. So they may be more sensitive to what they pay in TV. Trading one home for another of similar price is easier to swallow.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Default Pools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Preowned have-
upgrades done - these can be expensive
Some of the bond paid
bigger yards
Closer to shopping and golf courses
NO TOLLWAY NOISE
Closer to more town squares
Sometimes some furnishings or a golf cart.

I have bought one of each, it all equals out
Could also be pools. If somone adds a pool to the home it adds a lot to the asking price. I don't know if the developer sells a lot of brand new homes with pools, or the new owners put the pool in after the sale?
Old 08-05-2022, 07:41 PM
Default Pay the Bond or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
So buyers don’t consider the fact that buying an asset, has an additional $0/15,000/$35,000 liability?
That's a good question. I pondered the same question, before I decided to pay off my bond. I bought a pre-owned home with a $9K bond with like a 4.5% interest rate. Thinking there was like 10 years left on the bond. I was figuring I will have the house for at least 10 years so it was a good bet. Even if I sold after 5 yrs , iI'd probably get my money back.

I think some do and some don't consider the Bond. Some people only look at "what can I afford". If they can afford the bond payment, they don't care. Others, like me add the cost of the bond to the purchase price (in their minds).

I would say having a bond is not a make or break for most buyers. It could be a tie breaker for some people considering comparable houses. In addition, they may not negotiate as hard on the hose without the bond.....but who knows.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Actually, I don't think the appraiser and the mortgage company factor in the bond when determining the amount that can be borrowed. Also, if you are listing a house with a bond, the listing agent will definitely tell you to not pay it off. Note, that when you buy a house with a bond, you can pay it off or not. But, when you buy a house without a bond, you can't add a bond. So, buying a house with a bond gives you more options. If you are going to sell your house within a few years, there is no doubt that you will benefit by not paying off the bond.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, real, estate, update, email

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.