Villages Radio Station Music Selection

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2020, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post

I wish there was a way to send the person that made the OP a cheese basket to go along with their whine
Sorry you (and others) thought OP was whining. To me, it looks like he/she was looking for objective information.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Has been discussed many times in this forum, you can search and find a lot of responses. All conjecture of course but mostly focused on generational. Average age is 66 so they frame the music on both sides of that average. IMO
People in the average 66 age range from the East Coast will have a, somewhat significantly, different taste in music than people from the Midwest.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:17 PM
Default Conspiracy 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by terenceanne View Post
We are Having a discussion about the music selection played on the station. Mostly "B" list type music - lesser known one off's from the sixties and seventies etc...….rather than "A" list music....in other words you rarely hear Rolling Stones, Beatles, Kinks or anything from today etc.....
One argument is that is it just the selection they want to play - I say it's a financial decision. Google says major stations pay 12c per spin for royalties, it's goes down to 1c depending on the contract. Obviously our station is a small market.
Anywho just wondering if anybody knows for sure …...I say most of ours are in the 1c range
Please accept this with respect intended. I laughed out loud when I read your post. My wife and I were talking yesterday about the great variety of songs and artists on WVLG (now with two FM frequencies and multiple places to find streaming). I heard the Beatles, Doors,Dave Clark 5, Hollis, CSN& Young, Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Dan Fogelberg, Santana, Earth, Wind & Fire, Kool & The Gang, Michael Jackson, Springsteen, Mellencamp, Annie Lennox ... I could go on! 😎 ... I find your conspiracy dislike for TV seeping through your comments... for what it’s worth!
Old 05-26-2020, 12:43 PM
Default New Radio Station

I will check out this station. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:58 PM
Default We’re are in Florida, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terenceanne View Post
We are Having a discussion about the music selection played on the station. Mostly "B" list type music - lesser known one off's from the sixties and seventies etc...….rather than "A" list music....in other words you rarely hear Rolling Stones, Beatles, Kinks or anything
from today etc.....
One argument is that is it just the selection they want to play - I say it's a financial decision. Google says major stations pay 12c per spin for royalties, it's goes down to 1c depending on the contract. Obviously our station is a small market.
Anywho just wondering if anybody knows for sure …...I say most of ours are in the 1c range
For the most part I enjoy the selection of music played but I really wish I could hear more news about Florida rather than New York!
Old 05-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
As a former radio air talent (23 years) I can tell you that music stations operate on a clock and a music rotation process.

The songs all get a category. New music might have two or three sub categories like new releases that haven't charted or are low on the chart, current hits which are songs at or near the top of the format chart or fast climbers (with a bullet) and re-currents which are hits that are basically going down the charts or already dropped off. Then there are what they call gold hits or classics and those can be subcategorized in several ways too.

Then each category get slotted into in the hour and given a certain number of slots. The currents, re-currents and new songs also get a certain number of spins per day based on how many songs you have to play in those categories plus how many slots the subcategory is given in an hour.

On an oldies or classic rock station everything is still categorized but has different names and could be based on age of the song. I once worked at an oldies station we played music in a 20 year period 1953-73. Songs were categorized by decade and popularity with the top hits of the core years, 1964-1970, getting the heaviest play, music from 53-59 getting light play, 60-63, 71-73 and secondary hits of the core years getting moderate play.

I hope this helped.
Having been both on on air talent and a Program Director for different formats and in different markets, ASCAP, BMI and CSAC all get paid for music and publishing rights. About once a year we had to submit a week's worth of logs of all the music we had played that week. In the early days, this was all hand written and what a pain in the a$$ that was. Now, computerized scheduling and automation have made that process almost automatic. There was never a discount for playing songs that were not considered hits or 2nd tier selections. Songs were songs are were all reported.

Please remember that WVLG is not a music station that is competing for ratings. They are a promotional vehicle of The Villages, there to promote the lifestyle, the sales and the open houses that happens to play music in between promos. Given the current demographics of residents, I believe they do a decent job of providing entertainment, information and, of course, sales pitches for new residents.

Bottom line is, it is what it is, and in this day of technology and streaming, the average consumer has a plethora of choices to pick from.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 05-26-2020, 03:44 PM

Great question. I hope you find the answer.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:17 PM

OP - Thanks to everyone who understood the question that was asked. That's enough posts on this one
Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

When our radio station was only played on AM it was a little rough. Many pleaded their case for the station to be broadcasted on FM and Streamed. It took a while but they got it done. For us, it's just about perfect. A, B, C list? It doesn't matter in the least to us. Other than the Stations we Stream through Pandora this is the only other local station we listen to. It's fine. The FM Streaming is Great!
Old 05-27-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I plug in different stations on my Pandora, example African Radio , I do find I do find if I plug in a certain style of music on safari a bunch of videos with different people will show up I’ve found many artists on there from all over world . I’ll set up 5 or 6 videos of say French jazz group , a middle eastern Gypsy , a Jamaican artist maybe something from Coltrane and send them to people hope this helps
Old 05-28-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismatta View Post
I have been listening to satellite radio for over ten years and enjoy it. After to moving to the Villages a year ago I listened to WVLG to see what the local station is about. I was pleasantly surprised, and find I can enjoy it int he background for hours. The National news they provide is a horror show of disinformation, but the music, is well targeted to the villages demo. They play an good mix for their target audience. Having been an oldies disk jockey in a major market for many years, I sometimes need a break with something else, but I’m happy to get my oldies fix from WVLG. Are they programming by cost per song? What? I don’t think so.
I never got satellite radio in your car, to be worth the cost you would have to spend a lot of time in your auto. I like rock n roll from the 60's and 70's. When we lost the Sax sound we lost the roll and we were left with just the rock. Just my opinion.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Satellites radio about$100 a year , how many hours are we in our car , Don’t be discouraged by the price every year they will start out with a bill for around $250 and you end up at about a hundred sometimes less only once have I had to shut it off for 3 days and they gave in , also if you do have options In car , Pandora , Apple play , believe me it’s not hard to don, I’m 81 I just went out and asked the first 9 year old to help an old man
Closed Thread

Tags
music, station, selection, list, spin

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.