Villages Status Affecting Population?

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2020, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

We are just here for 5 months.

First month and half were great getting out and exploring and joining quite a few clubs.

Than the pandemic struck and a lot was taken away from us. However life is what it is and we need to stick it out until things get better.

If everything did open up now and social distancing went away might be a lot less of us to enjoy everything when things reopen.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:26 PM
Veteran member

It's not really a selling point to have things shut down because prospective buyers can't really get a good feel for everything that TV has to offer. That's not really a unique problem to TV though. It's happening all over.

I do think that it's a good time to buy in TV right now because there is a nice selection up for sale at a reasonable price. I don't need two homes, though, and we aren't quite ready to pull the trigger on downsizing just, yet. At this point, we are still in the research stage. The folks that are ready to buy have a nice variety to choose from and can probably get a nice deal right now.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milling73 View Post
We are new residents, and while the current pandemic is no way the control or fault of any area, I just wondered how it is affecting population here - The Villages is not exactly presenting its best face right now.
For golfers things have not changed much these last few months. Courses remained open.
But for those of us who came for other reasons: like entertainment, music nightly at the Squares, performances, Rec centers games, crafts, clubs - all the 1,000 things offered in Ads and which entices and prompts many to come here, have been closed for months, with no word on when they will resume.
Suddenly life in The Villages is not quite as alluring; it is more the lifestyle of little to do, that we left — certainly it is not the lifestyle we so eagerly anticipated.
Yes, the people on the coast near water are enjoying their boats. Some go out in groups, tie their boats together and party while each staying on their own vessel....hubby says not fair with a smile.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We had 13 houses on our radar, all have sold in last 10 days
Old 07-05-2020, 05:41 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

we think now's a good time to suck it up - this won't last,,, shirley we've had some challenges in life prior to coming here as has most everyone else,,, 1 thing's for certain - our whining never helps !
take up golf - try pickleball - ride a bike - join the trap/skeet club - learn bridge - bridge base online has duplicate points - catch up on miss'd 'oprah' & 'view' episodes ( come to think of it, maybe suffering from the flu's better than either )
the villages is only a collection of buildings located at a certain spot on terra firma - the people who live here are the same as everyone left behind - just older ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! maybe a bit heavier, less hair, don't walk as fast or stand as straight but they're the same people.

we think NOW is a good time to buy especially when a particular house's been on the mkt for over 100d

Last edited by stadry; 07-05-2020 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:35 AM

Was going to buy here but so glad we didn’t it has changed over the past 7 years
Old 07-05-2020, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryl View Post
Was going to buy here but so glad we didn’t it has changed over the past 7 years
In our 16 years TV has only become more attractive in what it offers. Now four times bigger than 2003.

Bigger? Yes.
Busier? Yes.
Make the lifestyle any less? No. Based on the ongoing growth and low turn over.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:10 AM

Well said. I for one am glad The Villages is still taking all.precautions to keep its residents safe. Music at the squares? I can see it already lots and lots of people. No social distancing. No masks. Rec centers...programs are run by volunteers and many do not want to take a chance of being exposed to so.many people even with restrictions as to how many in a room. So yes it's different but still great. There are many outdoor activities that have started and a few indoors as well. Keep the faith. Stay safe
Old 07-05-2020, 08:15 AM

We just purchased a home there and will be moving in early August. We know when we return activities will still be limited, but it is still a beautiful place to live. An evening ride in the golf cart or early morning on the lanai is still wonderful. We have hope that it will once again be the place of we first visited, but more appreciated. The world has changed unfortunately and so have our expectations.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:16 AM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister

A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE ON THE VIRUS

1. There are no bombs raining on our heads
2. I am not a prisoner held in solitary confinement, as millions are.
3. I am not a refugee trying to escape with my life.
4. I am not standing in line waiting to fill a pot of water.
5. I have access to fresh food and I'm not starving.
6. I have hot running water.
7. My country has not been ruined by years of war.
8. I can reach my friends by phone and check in on them.
9. My friends check in on me because they care about me.
10. Any whiplash I feel about this strange turn of events is itself a sign of privilege.
11. More than half of the world would gladly trade their everyday problems for the modest inconveniences I am experiencing.
12. I may have anxious dreams but I'm dreaming them on a proper bed and I'm not sleeping on the sidewalk.
13. By staying at home, I'm helping the planet rest.
14. As long as I have my mind I can create, imagine, dream and not be lonely.
15. This global crisis connects me to people around the world and reminds me of our common humanity. This is a good thing.
16. When something tragic happens to another country next time, I will respond to it not with superiority, but humility and recognition. 17. I will fight for positive changes and economically just policies in my own country.
18. I am surrounded by books.
19. I am surrounded by love.
20. The tulips have already begun to bloom.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:22 AM

The Villages is still the safest place to be. Also, you can play all sporting activities. Pickleball, tennis, bocce, shuffleboard, swim, corn hole and horse shoes along with all golfing. Play billiard at the Rec centers and table tennis. Plus you have a beautiful friendly place to live during these trying times. Hopefully that helps you look at things differently.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:11 PM

We can’t control the world and the horrible way things are right now. Be patient my friend
Old 07-05-2020, 12:29 PM

And it is every where...Trust me its going to be awhile before we see the light of day, but we have sunshine year round that's all that really is needed to keep up the spirits, along with good neighborhoods.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milling73 View Post
How did I blame The Villages? I stated “no fault anyone”? And not every location in this country is rioting. It was a simple “wonder if this discouraging new buyers or people leaving”
Dont look for insults or arguments where none intended.
TV has received numerous accolations in the press for its lifestyle and size. With that comes the other side that the liberal media jumps on whenever possible......'the STD' report 10 years ago, anything to do with TV political support, the success of TV over the past 35 years by the developers (many call greedy), etc. When you live here, you quickly recognize this is the best place for retirement if you want to do things. If you don't recognize it, and some do not, you should find that eutopian retirement community for you (and some do). Like everyone says, if you are bored in TV, it is you own fault.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, things, months, population, lifestyle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.