Smoking outside of Redsauce

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Location: Euclid, Ohio--Anahein California--DeLand Florida--Virginia Trace
Angry Smoking outside of Redsauce

Last Saturday evening I went to Redsauce to have dinner and a couple of drinks at the outside bar. I looked around and there were no tobacco junkies at the bar. I sat down and there was a empty seat next to me. By the time I got my drink, this guy in his 30's sat down and lighted up. I had already ordered a chopped anipasta salad. By the time I got my salad, this guy smoked two cigs. I got my salad and counted five more cigs he smoked while I ate my meal;. The couple next to me split because they could not take the smoke any longer. I tried to get my check so I could pay and get my butt into some clean air but the barmaid was busy due to the crowd. This guy went to light up again and I asked him if he ever came up for fresh air? He laughed as if it was a joke. I then told him he was a inconsiderate SOB and finally got my bill and quickly paid it and left. I went inside and talked to the female manager and she said that there was nothing that can be done about people smoking outside. Now I am all fired up. This guy doesn't even live in The Villages. Him and the other cigarette smoking drunks that hang out there don't even own a home in The Villages. They hang there only because it's cheap to drink there. I don't know about you, but I think the time has come to end ALL smoking at restaurants and outside bars in The Villages. Why do the majority of people need to smell that fowl smoke from the few that do smoke? Let me know how you feel as I am getting a movement going to end all outside smoking not only in the Villages but also in the entire State of Florida. Please email your congressman and State Senator and lets put a end to this smelling nasty smoke once and for all. ------And to you smokers that don't agree with me and are offended by this post, you brought this on yourself!!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I think you should have moved and complained right away if it bothered you.

All I can say is this. I have gone to two funerals of close friends in the past year that were smokers.

I just wish people would stop for their own sakes. It is such a painful death.

Sadly I feel that anyone who lives here in TV with us has an addiction of such length and depth and so merciless that stopping is going to be way more difficult than if they were younger. Practically impossible.

I smoked and stopped quite some time ago, so I not some preachin' lady.

I just HATE to smell it now. Nothin' worse than a reformed anything.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyworld View Post
Last Saturday evening I went to Redsauce to have dinner and a couple of drinks at the outside bar. I looked around and there were no tobacco junkies at the bar. I sat down and there was a empty seat next to me. By the time I got my drink, this guy in his 30's sat down and lighted up. I had already ordered a chopped anipasta salad. By the time I got my salad, this guy smoked two cigs. I got my salad and counted five more cigs he smoked while I ate my meal;. The couple next to me split because they could not take the smoke any longer. I tried to get my check so I could pay and get my butt into some clean air but the barmaid was busy due to the crowd. This guy went to light up again and I asked him if he ever came up for fresh air? He laughed as if it was a joke. I then told him he was a inconsiderate SOB and finally got my bill and quickly paid it and left. I went inside and talked to the female manager and she said that there was nothing that can be done about people smoking outside. Now I am all fired up. This guy doesn't even live in The Villages. Him and the other cigarette smoking drunks that hang out there don't even own a home in The Villages. They hang there only because it's cheap to drink there. I don't know about you, but I think the time has come to end ALL smoking at restaurants and outside bars in The Villages. Why do the majority of people need to smell that fowl smoke from the few that do smoke? Let me know how you feel as I am getting a movement going to end all outside smoking not only in the Villages but also in the entire State of Florida. Please email your congressman and State Senator and lets put a end to this smelling nasty smoke once and for all. ------And to you smokers that don't agree with me and are offended by this post, you brought this on yourself!!!!!
Here is some information:
Florida Clean Indoor Air Act (FCIAA)
Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

My husband and I quit smoking 19 years ago. I quit 2 months before he had quadruple by-pass and he quit 2 weeks before. We have not smoked since and have trouble being in the same room with someone who smokes. I golf with ladies on Thursdays and a couple of them smoke but are very considerate to those who don't. I agree, smoking should not be aloud in inside or outside bars/restaurants.

This is just my opinion.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

So how would anyone feel sitting next to a person using an E-Cigarette, which has only water vapor (looks like smoke) and smells like cherries or vanilla ???

No second smoke...

Just curious...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM

It is hard to try to enjoy a meal when someone is smoking next to you. Coming from Washington State that doesn't allow smoking inside and outside it is hard to get used too. Sometimes the hour of the day is a little better. Oregon has the same laws about smoking, in fact at Civic Stadium, where most of the major sports are played you can't even smoke there. I wish they would ban smoking anywhere inside the curb area at the squares. You're sitting there trying to enjoy the music and someone is in the legal area to smoke and you have to put up with it, we usually move to a cleaner spot.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

are we saying we want the non smokers to decide where they would like to frequent and then have smokers banned from those areas?

We have gone from smoke anyplace, anytime to smoking or non smoking inside, to no smoking inside and now suggesting no smoking outside?
And then to ban smoking in the state of FL???

Sounds to me like the non smokers already have all the options as it stands today. But you want it banned in other areas just in case you decide you want to go there too.

I hate to disappoint some of you but that is not a very equitable position to take. If you don't like the smoke stay out of the areas where it is allowed. THAT SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!!

btk
Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
are we saying we want the non smokers to decide where they would like to frequent and then have smokers banned from those areas?

We have gone from smoke anyplace, anytime to smoking or non smoking inside, to no smoking inside and now suggesting no smoking outside?

Sounds to me like the non smokers already have all the options as it stands today. But you want it banned in other areas just in case you decide you want to go there too.

I hate to disappoint some of you but that is not a very equitable position to take. If you don't like the smoke stay out of the areas where it is allowed. THAT SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!!

btk

tks for your input!
The Villages
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
If you don't like the smoke stay out of the areas where it is allowed. THAT SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!!

btk

I don't smoke...haven't in 15 years or so and the smell of smoke really realy bothers me but.....

p.s. nothing worse than being stuck behind an old gas cart with the driver smoking..IMHO
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

The resturant situation is solved by moving inside. Now what we have to contend with is not solved. Our neighbors, who smoke like their home is on fire, prevent us from enjoying our lanai as their smoke drifts over and fills the air.

If the sliding doors are open, it comes into the house.

I can't understand how smokers can stand to suck that stuff into their lungs.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

I just do not patronize any business where I felt that I was choking to death over second hand smoke. No need to be confrontational. Yes, sometimes I would speak to the management, but usually that would not solve anything.

If all non-smokers stop going to restaurants that allow smoking outside and they see their sales going down, then they will certianly listen to these complaints and do something about it.

It's all about the money!!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:

btk

and further, billyworld - i cannot support your effort to strip individuals of another "right". as a non-smoker you already have the "right" to address the smoker politely asking them to not smoke until you have left the area OR to leave the area yourself. smokers are limited to designated areas already. it is not your "right" to deny someone the "right" to smoke themselves to death if they so choose.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default You have to do this at the State level...local governments are preempted by FL law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyworld View Post
List of smoking bans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Default smoking at restaurants

I feel sorry for the people who work the outside bars. They don't have any recourse other than to quit their jobs. Maybe it is up to us to protect them...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM

Frankly, I don't understand the appeal. I do understand that smoking is an addiction and those that do smoke will defend it and their right to do so. I find cigarette smoke very offensive and more importantly it is a health hazard. For those of us who chose not to smoke it will be an endless battle to avoid second hand emissions. It's possible to sit in a public place where smoking is not allowed, but how about having to walk through the area where people hang out to smoke, in order to enter or exit. It's unavoidable. Sure don't understand how some folks can even afford this nasty habit.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.