Villages Theaters

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Platinum member
Default Villages Theaters

Is it just me or have others noticed the movies in The Villages holding over for a very long time? When you go often, as in $5 Tuesdays, it’s difficult to find a movie that you haven’t already seen! And the quality of the movies have sunk to trash, something I would not be interested in watching!
Old 10-22-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage

Nothing out there that's worth watching
Old 10-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Movie attendance continues to drop. Even Television watching has dropped. Live streaming, going to clubs, sports events or music events are the new draws.

Netflix and kill: Is streaming hurting movie theaters?

Think about how few attendees there are at the movies these days?
Old 10-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

I don't go to the movies because the people there are always making noises with cell phones and talking and it is very distracting. I would suggest the theaters provide a sound plug-in jack (like on airplanes), so you can bring headphones. If they did, I would probably go to a lot of movies.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

It's all Marlon Brando's faullt.
Now all the actors have taken to mumbling and swallowing their words.
I haven't understood a bloody word actors have spoken for years, and when you add the 'Mood Music,' the whole thing is impossible.
Don't even get me going on the pop corn munchers, gallon bucket Coke slurpers, or hot dog chompers, most of whom think they will die unless they intake at least 2000 calories an hour.
I just don't bother going any more!

Last edited by Two Bills; 10-22-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Sage

IMHO, most movies with CGI, are nothing but but glorified video games--won't spend $$$ to view a video game
Old 10-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Sage

Let’s see...I can sit at home in my oversized recliner, watch my big screen 4K TV for ‘free’, pause the show any time I want, eat anything I want, drink anything I want, decide on a whim to watch something else or nothing at all.

Let me see...hmmm.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:32 PM
Sage

Same "O", same "O"
Old 10-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Well, as a kid I used to watch the old "Indian Head" on the TV(Millennial note: shown as a test pattern before the broadcast day started) breathlessly waiting for Hopalong Cassidy to come on Saturday mornings. Since then, I've been fascinated with story telling on screen. I go to Brownwood ( which is an excellent state of the art theatre) to watch the mega sci-fi blockbusters like Star Wars, Avengers, etc. I've got a 65" 4K TV but you can't beat the large expanse of screen and Dolby Atmos sound in a theatre. Plus the popcorn is pretty good!
Old 10-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

From age 17 to about age 30 I use to go to the movies quite often, once a month or so. Movies like Butch Cassidy, Dirty Harry, the Godfather, Chinatown, Dog Day Afternoon, the Shining, Aliens, The Exorcist, Jaws, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Silver Streak, Blues Bros, Rocky, American Graffiti, Animal House, etc.

After age 30 and before 39 I only went when it was something I really wanted to see, maybe 3 to 5 times a year. Films like Airplane, Raising Arizona, Die Hard, Full Metal Jacket, Jagged Edge, Platoon, Stand by Me, Amadeus, Blue Velvet, Body Double, Scarface, Hoosiers, Wall Street, Broadcast News, etc.

After age 39 and before 60 I only went on rare occassion, it was so few I can remember each film. Age 39 Lethal Weapon 2 (first date with my wife), Apollo 13 (45th birthday) Blair Witch Project (age 49 filmed in Maryland where I lived) Zodiac (age 57 big fan of true crime)

Age 61 moved to TV, because I have the time and we have 3 theaters I started going once a month. We also had a good selection from 2011 until 2016. Films like Gone Girl, American Sniper, Gravity, Capt. Phillips, American Hustle, Silver Linings Playbook, Blue Jasmine, Ides of March, the Imitation Game, etc.

The last couple of years it's gotten slim. This year I've only gone three times. 1) Stan & Ollie (about Laurel & Hardy) 2) Yesterday (due to a blackout the Beatles didn't exist and one musician remembers their songs and becomes a star) 3) Joker (Great Reviews and didn't want to want for HBO).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as movies staying longer at the theater in TV, besides a lack of good films, longer play means more money for the theater. For example a major film like Star Wars latest the theater had to give 100% of the receipts to the studio the first week and for each week thereafter they did get a cut, which got bigger each week. The average film the theater will only keep about 20% of the take from the first week, their profits come from the concessions. For each week the film stays the theater will get to keep another 10 - 20% of the money. If a film stays about a month or more it become a money maker.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
From age 17 to about age 30 I use to go to the movies quite often, once a month or so. Movies like Butch Cassidy, Dirty Harry, the Godfather, Chinatown, Dog Day Afternoon, the Shining, Aliens, The Exorcist, Jaws, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Silver Streak, Blues Bros, Rocky, American Graffiti, Animal House, etc.

After age 30 and before 39 I only went when it was something I really wanted to see, maybe 3 to 5 times a year. Films like Airplane, Raising Arizona, Die Hard, Full Metal Jacket, Jagged Edge, Platoon, Stand by Me, Amadeus, Blue Velvet, Body Double, Scarface, Hoosiers, Wall Street, Broadcast News, etc.

After age 39 and before 60 I only went on rare occassion, it was so few I can remember each film. Age 39 Lethal Weapon 2 (first date with my wife), Apollo 13 (45th birthday) Blair Witch Project (age 49 filmed in Maryland where I lived) Zodiac (age 57 big fan of true crime)

Age 61 moved to TV, because I have the time and we have 3 theaters I started going once a month. We also had a good selection from 2011 until 2016. Films like Gone Girl, American Sniper, Gravity, Capt. Phillips, American Hustle, Silver Linings Playbook, Blue Jasmine, Ides of March, the Imitation Game, etc.

The last couple of years it's gotten slim. This year I've only gone three times. 1) Stan & Ollie (about Laurel & Hardy) 2) Yesterday (due to a blackout the Beatles didn't exist and one musician remembers their songs and becomes a star) 3) Joker (Great Reviews and didn't want to want for HBO).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as movies staying longer at the theater in TV, besides a lack of good films, longer play means more money for the theater. For example a major film like Star Wars latest the theater had to give 100% of the receipts to the studio the first week and for each week thereafter they did get a cut, which got bigger each week. The average film the theater will only keep about 20% of the take from the first week, their profits come from the concessions. For each week the film stays the theater will get to keep another 10 - 20% of the money. If a film stays about a month or more it become a money maker.
How's your memory?
Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I've got a 65" 4K TV but you can't beat the large expanse of screen and Dolby Atmos sound in a theatre.
So true. Now if only The Villages would add Dolby ATMOS (or DTS:X) to one of their theaters! Better yet, if only they would add a Dolby Theater, complete with LASER projection Dolby Vision and Dolby ATMOS! The nearest Dolby Theater is in Altamonte Springs and is too far to go for anything not guaranteed to be a fantastic film. I saw Blade Runner: 2049 there and it was an epic movie-going experience. But they charge close to $20 a ticket for that theater and I doubt there are enough big screen/big sound fans in The Villages willing to pay that kind of price to support such a theater.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't go to the movies because the people there are always making noises with cell phones and talking and it is very distracting. I would suggest the theaters provide a sound plug-in jack (like on airplanes), so you can bring headphones. If they did, I would probably go to a lot of movies.
Sound too loud for me, I leave with headache that turns into migraine. I like the headset idea where you could control the volume. But, probably still wouldn’t go due to only one ear left and have to limit obnoxious noise.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Maleficent on Saturday was about 70% full @ 5:30. Not a fan of going to SS, but it was raining so killed 2 hours.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Let’s see...I can sit at home in my oversized recliner, watch my big screen 4K TV for ‘free’, pause the show any time I want, eat anything I want, drink anything I want, decide on a whim to watch something else or nothing at all.

Let me see...hmmm.
What he/she said!!! PLUS the movies of today, mostly are just garbage. VERY few are worth the time or money to go to. While growing up I went to movies almost all the time as it was a distraction of something to do. NOW we have so many other things to occupy our time.
Closed Thread

Tags
movies, villages, find, movie, haven’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.