What can you store in the garage attic?

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Default What can you store in the garage attic?

Does it get hot for plastic items? How about luggage?
Old 11-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Veteran member
Default solar powered fan

My "resale" home came with a solar powered fan in the garage attic. Costs nothing to operate and seems to keep the attic at a very reasonable temperature.

I have about 50 plastic storage tubs in that space and they are doing just fine.

In my (not so humble) opinion, the solar powered fan is definitely worth having installed. Also, there is a marvelous thing here called a solar tube. They lighten up interior bathrooms, master closets, and any other space that does not have enough light. My house came with 7 solar tubes, the solar fan in the garage attic, and 3 skylights. Highly recommend getting them.

Welcome to The Villages!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Gold member

So far I've stored storage boxes, and Christmas decorations up there. We also put all our luggage up there and other odds and ends. We don't have any solar fans yets since new home so I am not storing anything plastic. My attic in Ark was extremely hot in the summer too so I store the same things here that I did there.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 11-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Veteran member

We lived in the Florida Panhandle for 11 years. Temps were comparable to TV. We stored luggage, Christmas decorations, old appliances, and a bunch of other stuff that we finally threw away before moving in our attic. We never had any damage due to heat. Some candles may have shifted a little but everything else was fine. I probably wouldn't store any explosives in the attic.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Default Fans

It is ridiculous that they build homes in FL without attic fans
Old 11-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Default attic fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyvillager View Post
It is ridiculous that they build homes in FL without attic fans
We put them in up north and had two on the bigger Villages home in September.

Within minutes after they were installed the attic was a new climate zone.
We drop the garage stair, crack open the garage windows, and that gets to a new climate zone too.
Since we don't use the ac (only for renters), we're putting in some 'whole house fans' in the ceiling to draw cool air in at night.

The attic fans are the first thing we would put into a home without them.
The convincer was the comparison between the existing 'ridge vents' and powered fans.
It takes three hundred feet of ridge vent to exchange the same air as one 20w attic fan

Keep Cool

L and L

Still overworked in Rural Md......
......visiting our TV homes when possible
Old 11-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tghoul View Post
Does it get hot for plastic items? How about luggage?
A good rule would be: anything that you would leave in the trunk of your car in the Summer time.

Yoda
Old 11-26-2010, 07:28 AM

can anyone tell me if they automatically install floorboards in the attic of the new construction homes or do you have to request them as an upgrade???..thanks...
Old 11-26-2010, 08:35 AM

Robbie

Attic space for storage is standard in the designer home series; don't know about the other models

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 11-26-2010, 08:42 AM

When you have attic stairs installed they usually put two 4x8 sheets of plywood in the attic.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 AM

We do not have an attic fan and I have some items have deteriorated in the attic over the course of several years. The webbing on handles of my luggage has deteriorated. I pulled out a piece of luggage and got only the handle. This happened twice. The items have been stored over the course of ten years. Also have had some misshapen candles - I don't put them up there anymore. It does get really hot in that concentrated space so just beware of more fragile storage. We put additional 4 x 8 plywood to increase storage space for seasonal tools.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Veteran member
Smile

The Designers have some flooring installed. Our Begonia has an area 8 X 8 with plywood. Some have more it depends on the roof style. We have a hip roof and the flooring does not extend toward the front of the garage, it is just in the center. The trusses that the flooring is on have 2 X 6 joists, most of the others are 2 X 4. Our neighbor does not have a hip style roof and his floor extends to the front. I guess it is all about headroom. There is a light installed at the center overhead. We keep all of the christmas decorations as well as luggage and other plastic containers with things my wife just could not part with. We also had attic stairs installed.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Sage

Been in Fla for 57 years, mostly in South Fla. and always used the attic. No problems with decorations, luggage etc. I even installed a pipe in one attic that I could hang clothes that we didn't wear much but didn't want to get rid of. One precaution though, anything paper seems to get eaten by bugs that I believe are called silverfish. Keep paper items sealed as in baggies. They will eat them. Photos are susceptible also. I've left instruction manuals up there for years and some were hard to read after the bugs got through. They start on the edges and work their way through.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Default How do I know...

...if there is an attic fan installed?
Old 11-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Veteran member

Attic fans are not the norm in new construction. If it is not new ask the seller. If you can access the attic look for wires going to one of the vents in the roof. If it is a solar fan there is a small solar panel out on the roof.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.