Is The Villages using your email address?

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Default Is The Villages using your email address?

On Tuesday March 1, I received an email from Garry LaRiviere representing The Villages Golf & Country Club Administration. The email stated “Come and enjoy lunch with Greg Norman on Friday, March 4.” It also included an attachment showing ticket prices. It did not state this was a Moffitt benefit fundraiser although this event was in the Daily Sun as a Moffitt fundraiser.
It seems not only The Village newspaper and radio station are used for developer supported fundraising, so is your email address if you use the thevillages.net website to make tee times. It looks like they are using our email addresses for purposes other than it’s intended use without our permission.
Anybody else get this email and what do you think of this?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM

Yes....
Old 03-03-2011, 02:41 PM

I see a trend I do not like..... The subsidization of the house publication, The Daily Sun, just increased from a quarter to a half a buck last week in the paper racks. Take away the TV ads, the other repetitious ads and you are left with a few interesting stories about fellow villagers that would make a nice weekly paper. I stopped receiving it some time ago at the onset of the Moffitt "stuff", which was a greater part of the paper. Let them send out one or two brochures a year like most similar causes do, not repetitiously lambaste every media avenue they own. I've even found a Jacksonville radio station to replace WVLG. Internet and cable are more than I need.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Sage

No, didn't get any such e-mail.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Didn't get a thing.... you must have been singled out ...

Keep smiling.....
Old 03-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I wouldn't have been annoyed.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

When your email hits the Internet it is fair game, where do you think all that spam comes from.
You are probably right that it came from the use of the tee time system. There was most likely a privacy agreement that came with our sign up.
Doesn't bother me. I have more serious things to worry about......where are we going for dinner tonight!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Platinum member
Question

Maybe it's just the priority members.....we're not, but do use the system to book times.

Just a thought.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Eternal Member

That is why they have a delete key.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
When your email hits the Internet it is fair game, where do you think all that spam comes from.
You are probably right that it came from the use of the tee time system. There was most likely a privacy agreement that came with our sign up.
Doesn't bother me. I have more serious things to worry about......where are we going for dinner tonight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
That is why they have a delete key.
Exactly.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajakk View Post
On Tuesday March 1, I received an email from Garry LaRiviere representing The Villages Golf & Country Club Administration. The email stated “Come and enjoy lunch with Greg Norman on Friday, March 4.” It also included an attachment showing ticket prices. It did not state this was a Moffitt benefit fundraiser although this event was in the Daily Sun as a Moffitt fundraiser.
It seems not only The Village newspaper and radio station are used for developer supported fundraising, so is your email address if you use the thevillages.net website to make tee times. It looks like they are using our email addresses for purposes other than it’s intended use without our permission.
Enter it on your "blocked senders list" and worry no more.
Bob
Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajakk View Post
It sounds like they are pulling out all of the stops. Do I detect a note of desperation on their part.

As someone has already pointed out, it looks like they have resorted to spamming. Just treat it like any other spam. Delete it, block it , ignore it, or if you prefer, send them a check.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
I see a trend I do not like..... The subsidization of the house publication, The Daily Sun, just increased from a quarter to a half a buck last week in the paper racks. Take away the TV ads, the other repetitious ads and you are left with a few interesting stories about fellow villagers that would make a nice weekly paper. I stopped receiving it some time ago at the onset of the Moffitt "stuff", which was a greater part of the paper. Let them send out one or two brochures a year like most similar causes do, not repetitiously lambaste every media avenue they own. I've even found a Jacksonville radio station to replace WVLG. Internet and cable are more than I need.
Awww...I like the Daily Fun. It has its' share of national and world news and although it is a huge advertisement for The Villages so are many villagers and I am one of them.

You knew that.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.