Villages water..do i really need this expensive filter?

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2021, 08:03 AM
Default Villages water..do i really need this expensive filter?

Is the lead reducing filter really needed for Village water ?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	ISP1.jpg
Views:	5547
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	89424   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	ISP123.jpg
Views:	5381
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	89425  
Old 05-11-2021, 08:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

If you personally don’t mind the smell or the taste of your water, then no you don’t need one.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:36 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcarwilly View Post
I don't have one - never even heard you needed one either? No smell or taste issues in Belvedere
Old 05-11-2021, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

The need for a water filter or water softener is strictly a personal decision. The water meets or exceeds all federal requirements, however due to the higher temperatures you will find a higher level of chlorine in the water and the water can be on the harder side depending on location. We did not like the chlorine taste and my wife did not like the hardness, so we have a water softener and whole house filter. The result is our water tastes just like the 'bottled' water we no longer buy.
IMHO, what you do not need are the really expensive system that people try to sell here. Ours cost under $600 (without installation), we had 2 or 3 people come by with offers for systems costing 5 to 10 times as much.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

No filter for us, the water in Hillsborough is better than the water where we lived in MD.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-11-2021, 08:48 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The need for a water filter or water softener is strictly a personal decision. The water meets or exceeds all federal requirements, however due to the higher temperatures you will find a higher level of chlorine in the water and the water can be on the harder side depending on location. We did not like the chlorine taste and my wife did not like the hardness, so we have a water softener and whole house filter. The result is our water tastes just like the 'bottled' water we no longer buy.
IMHO, what you do not need are the really expensive system that people try to sell here. Ours cost under $600 (without installation), we had 2 or 3 people come by with offers for systems costing 5 to 10 times as much.
yeah, you nailed it - much easier to install one yourself at the source in the garage. I don't have any issue with taste - but more with hardness. I think a lot has to do with what you are used to. I have well water 'up north' so TV water seems very similar.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

The filter on the refrigerator works just fine as far as I am concerned. Even water from the tap is not that bad.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-11-2021, 09:06 AM

add some scotch to it taste just fine....
Old 05-11-2021, 09:07 AM

Buy a Brita
Old 05-11-2021, 09:09 AM
Gold member

Don't EVER listen to the door knockers who tell you that you need to but a filtration system that costs thousands $$$. The most popular water filtration system in The Villages is NOVA, period. purchased and installed for $700!

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 05-11-2021, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

If we were full time we would get a NOVA whole house filtration system, but since we are part time it is much more cost effective to drink bottled water (by the gallon from Publix) rather than spend about $100 per year to replace the three filters. We are very spoiled by our crystal clear well water up north, with no additives. The taste of the tap water in the Villages does not cut the mustard for us. Hopefully someday we will be at the Villages long enough to justify the expense.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:36 AM

We have well water up north and needed a whole house reverse osmosis system that basically turned the water silky soft and smell free. We purchased a home in the Villages in October (Charlotte) and noticed the smell and taste of the water right away. We added a Nova water filter which helped greatly. We still have sediment in the water however and have to use CLR occasionally in the shower, sinks and dishwasher. My wife also notices it with the texture of her hair. I am, however, going to hold off for as long as I can before purchasing another softener and lugging bags of salt.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:46 AM

We were getting white deposits around our sinks in kitchen and baths. Since we have almost black stone countertops it was very obvious. We installed a water softener which solved the problem for us.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

what do you guys think of the kind that can be attached directly to the faucets- has anyone here have experience using those?
Old 05-11-2021, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcarwilly View Post
If you are average age demographic in TV, by the time the miniscule amounts of lead could accumulate in you, you're going to be somewhat north of 150YO. If you make it to 150, I suspect lead will be the least of your problems.

On the other hand if you don't like the taste of the chlorinated water, a filter is necessary. We use one simply for taste. Not the one you listed, just one attached to the supply under the sink that goes to the faucet and a similar different one that goes the fridge.
Closed Thread

Tags
filter, expensive, villages, water, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.