Books about "The Villages"

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2019, 08:25 AM
Gold member
Default Books about "The Villages"

Yes there is the vitriolic "Leisureville" But there is a book written by a Villager which I read a while ago. Does anyone remember the title?
Old 08-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

There's "The Villages Florida Book" by Ryan Erisman, published in 2011, currently out of print but probably available at the library.
There's also "Living Your Retirement Dreams and Growing Young in The Villages: Florida's Friendliest and Healthiest Hometown" by Lindsey Collier, published 2015 and updated 2017, available on Amazon as a Kindle download for $3.99 or in paperback for $13.95
Old 08-26-2019, 08:42 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

This is a very helpful read. 50 Things to Think About Before Buying a Home in The Villages

I found "From Sun Cities to The Villages" to be the most comprehensive book I have read about the history of retirement communities. It is written by a professor who was so impressed by The Villages she almost bought a home! https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Cities-Vi.../dp/0813044480

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-26-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 6,999 Times in 1,200 Posts

One of the most informative books is “The Villages- Then and Now”. Written by Lee King PhD and published in 2004.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:24 PM

I also have the book by Lee King. I purchased it in 2004 at a small bookstore in Spanish Springs. The author had a book signing event. The owner of the bookstore used to build computers for people. Great book.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
This is a very helpful read. 50 Things to Think About Before Buying a Home in The Villages

I found "From Sun Cities to The Villages" to be the most comprehensive book I have read about the history of retirement communities. It is written by a professor who was so impressed by The Villages she almost bought a home! https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Cities-Vi.../dp/0813044480
I own that book and have read it. As with most scholarly research studies I found it hard to read with a lot of redundancy, but it is comprehensive.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
There's "The Villages Florida Book" by Ryan Erisman, published in 2011, currently out of print but probably available at the library.
There's also "Living Your Retirement Dreams and Growing Young in The Villages: Florida's Friendliest and Healthiest Hometown" by Lindsey Collier, published 2015 and updated 2017, available on Amazon as a Kindle download for $3.99 or in paperback for $13.95
Ryan still lives in TV and sells the book through his website - probably the most comprehensive view of The Villages available to prospective buyers. The Official Website of Ryan Erisman
Old 08-26-2019, 07:31 PM

There's a murder mystery novel that takes place in The Villages. It's called Vindication by H. Terrell Griffin. The main character in the story is a detective who lives in Longboat Key and becomes involved in trying to solve a murder that took place in TV. I should note it's a work of fiction. I read it before visiting TV for the first time to get a feel for TV from a storyteller's point of view.
Closed Thread

Tags
title, read, ago, remember, villager

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.