Villas and barking dogs

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2019, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
We move in on Sept 5th, and have large dogs (Great Pyrenees and Labrador) and while I can't speak to other dog owners, we are very concerned about our dogs and barking. They grew up on 11 acres and are used to "protecting" us from UPS deliveries, and other strange creatures that might approach our property.

We have been working on calming them down when strangers come over. Our plan is to put in video/audio monitoring so we can know if they get excited while we are out - with two way audio we will also be able to talk to them and hopefully calm them. If they are still a problem we will bring in a professional trainer to help

Coming from the country with the nearest neighbor being over a 1/4 mile away, we take the change to a postage stamp yard, and the ability to borrow sugar by reaching out of the kitchen window seriously and want to make it as painless as possible for both us and our new neighbors.
Didn’t you write somewhere that you had three dogs?
Old 08-22-2019, 07:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
Didn’t you write somewhere that you had three dogs?
Yes, we are working on that and think we will have it resolved before moving in.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:38 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Yes, we are working on that and think we will have it resolved before moving in.
I would hope so as I know what your deed restrictions say about the number of dogs, no arbitration there either.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 PM
Platinum member

You are allowed 3 dogs and they are grandfathered in but when one passes away you cannot replace that third dog.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I feel bad for dogs that bark regularly. They're trying to tell their owner something. Or their neighbor. But no one's listening. Maybe it's just "hey I'm here I hate being left here alone come keep me company!" or maybe "I have major anxiety when I'm left alone I think I'm having a heart attack!" or maybe "there's a dead guy in the pool someone come take a look!"
Old 08-23-2019, 05:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I feel bad for dogs that bark regularly. They're trying to tell their owner something. Or their neighbor. But no one's listening. Maybe it's just "hey I'm here I hate being left here alone come keep me company!" or maybe "I have major anxiety when I'm left alone I think I'm having a heart attack!" or maybe "there's a dead guy in the pool someone come take a look!"
Timmy is in the well
Old 08-23-2019, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
You post concerned me, so I went back and re-read the covenant which states clearly that each owner is responsible to ensure they don't interfere with their neighbors "enjoyment" of their property. It then further clarifies the meaning by stating that "noise" shall be no more than "moderate" between 10 PM and 1 hour before sun rise.

There is no mention of restricting dog barking, and no definition of "moderate". So, I guess from what I can see there is no limit on dog barking during the day and up to 10 PM at night. Some third party would have to decide if a dog barking is preventing someone else from enjoying their property, and if our actions to control and moderate the dog barking is insufficient.

Personally, I find the sizzling of a neighbors bbq grills to be quite offensive and disruptive of my enjoying a vegan meal in my lanai...

I think we all need to get along, and anyone purchasing a CYV that does not like dogs or dog barking would have to explain to an arbitrator why they bought there knowing there was going to be dogs, and the dogs are going to be barking, when the CYVs are sold as the solution to seniors that want dogs that bark.
Sounds like your going to fit in, Good Luck in your new neighborhood.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:16 AM

yes! owners have to take the time to figure out what our dogs are trying to tell us. all they usually get is "quiet" or "shut up" our furbabies deserve better.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
You are allowed 3 dogs and they are grandfathered in but when one passes away you cannot replace that third dog.
You are correct.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Patents 111, you sound like a responsible dog owner, therefore should have no problems.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:58 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Bottom line if you have a barking dog (or dogs) you have to decide who/what is more important - your neighbors or you and your dogs. If you have this problem, you could have the best of both worlds if you get your dogs training. Just a thought. It matters little what is legal, fighting and fussing with neighbors can make your life miserable.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Bottom line if you have a barking dog (or dogs) you have to decide who/what is more important - your neighbors or you and your dogs. If you have this problem, you could have the best of both worlds if you get your dogs training. Just a thought. It matters little what is legal, fighting and fussing with neighbors can make your life miserable.
Agreed
Old 08-23-2019, 09:42 AM

We used a bark control device for our dog. It sends out a high frequency, inaudible to humans, 2 second sound. Doesn't hurt the dogs and they learn quickly not to bark. You can get one on Amazon for inside or outside the house. The outside device is the one we had...looks like a birdhouse and is about 30 dollars. Good luck with your move. You will love living life in the villages...once you get used to not being in the country any longer.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Platinum member

We have an older lab that for the most part is very quite. However, every Diesel engine truck that comes down the street will set her off. When she is out she might bark at those evil squirrels. Oh, the dog also barks at our neighbor so she will come over and give a belly rub. (To the dog)
Old 08-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
We have an older lab that for the most part is very quite. However, every Diesel engine truck that comes down the street will set her off. When she is out she might bark at those evil squirrels. Oh, the dog also barks at our neighbor so she will come over and give a belly rub. (To the dog������)
Sounds like Oh Rion, our 10 year older yellow Lab.
Closed Thread

Tags
owners, dogs, walls, dog, villas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.