Villas and barking dogs

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2019, 07:58 PM

Thanks to all for your thoughtful insights and suggestions. I look forward to joining your community of delightful people. I am open to additional thoughts, but I now have a much better feel for this situation.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post

I think we all need to get along, and anyone purchasing a CYV that does not like dogs or dog barking would have to explain to an arbitrator why they bought there knowing there was going to be dogs, and the dogs are going to be barking, when the CYVs are sold as the solution to seniors that want dogs that bark.
We originally were going to buy a CYV for our first house. Our VLS had us stay in Creek Side Landing for our 3rd lifestyle visit. We wanted the private space a CYV offered. They really are not sold as a solution for seniors with dogs. Pets are everywhere in TV, even in designers one can hear a dog barking. On our 3 day of our 7 day stay we moved to a PV. There were no barking dogs since Creek Side was a lifestyle area.
What changed our mind was the echoing noise level of those as far away as 5 or 6 houses. Entire conversations could be heard clearly, as well as phone calls. The walls were a reverberating enhancement. We sleep only a few hours a night, so that wasn’t the issue. We figured if I could here financial conversations in detail, from someone a few doors down, then they could hear us.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:11 AM
Gold member

[QUOTE=thelegges;1675595]We originally were going to buy a CYV for our first house. Our VLS had us stay in Creek Side Landing for our 3rd lifestyle visit. We wanted the private space a CYV offered. They really are not sold as a solution for seniors with dogs. Pets are everywhere in TV, even in designers one can hear a dog barking. On our 3 day of our 7 day stay we moved to a PV. There were no barking dogs since Creek Side was a lifestyle area.
What changed our mind was the echoing noise level of those as far away as 5 or 6 houses. Entire conversations could be heard clearly, as well as phone calls. The walls were a reverberating enhancement. We sleep only a few hours a night, so that wasn’t the issue. We figured if I could here financial conversations in detail, from someone a few doors down, then they could hear us.[/QUOTE

And this is why we sold our back-to-back designer, could see into homes too easily and hear conversations on lanais.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:05 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Some barking is understandable, but constant barking dogs is just rude. These owners have no consideration for their neighbors.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
We move in on Sept 5th, and have large dogs (Great Pyrenees and Labrador) and while I can't speak to other dog owners, we are very concerned about our dogs and barking. They grew up on 11 acres and are used to "protecting" us from UPS deliveries, and other strange creatures that might approach our property.

We have been working on calming them down when strangers come over. Our plan is to put in video/audio monitoring so we can know if they get excited while we are out - with two way audio we will also be able to talk to them and hopefully calm them. If they are still a problem we will bring in a professional trainer to help.

Coming from the country with the nearest neighbor being over a 1/4 mile away, we take the change to a postage stamp yard, and the ability to borrow sugar by reaching out of the kitchen window seriously and want to make it as painless as possible for both us and our new neighbors.

We too are closing on a Villa but on Sept 6th. We use to have a 12 acre Horse Farm with 5 German Shepherds, in the middle of no where. When we sold that property and moved into a neighborhood we brought the remaining 3 with us. I found by walking them every day, individually, it gave them a better sense of their new surroundings so they were not so reactive to every noise or person they heard. I also kept a radio or tv on when I left to drown out the outside commotion. My neighbors commented several times how well behaved they were.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeP View Post
We too are closing on a Villa but on Sept 6th. We use to have a 12 acre Horse Farm with 5 German Shepherds, in the middle of no where. When we sold that property and moved into a neighborhood we brought the remaining 3 with us. I found by walking them every day, individually, it gave them a better sense of their new surroundings so they were not so reactive to every noise or person they heard. I also kept a radio or tv on when I left to drown out the outside commotion. My neighbors commented several times how well behaved they were.
Thanks for the advice, the TV is a good suggestion.

We are really nervous about the entire "having neighbors" thing, but I am sure we will adapt!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, the TV is a good suggestion.

We are really nervous about the entire "having neighbors" thing, but I am sure we will adapt!
I was nervous too but it all worked out. I would talk/meet your neighbors on both sides and explain your situation and tell them to let you know if any issues arise. It's always better to get a head of it with the neighbors then be blindsided later.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:30 AM

Unfortunately life is full of unhappy people who want everyone else to share their unhappiness.. I moved here to the Villages with my husband and two dogs.. I have a small designer home.. shortly after moving here my husband was diagnosed and passed from lung cancer, and was followed shortly after by one of my dogs.. Now it’s just myself and one 11 pound dog... she loves to chase the geckos on the lani and is only out there if I am home... if one runs up the screen she barks, if she keeps barking I bring her in.. my back neighbor called animal control, they said if it can be documented I can be fined.. now even if I am out there with her and she barks while I’m playing with her he yells across the hedge or loudly groans... I am putting my house up for sale.. I hope I find better neighbors.. everyone else around me have no problem.. it only takes one...
Old 08-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
You are allowed 3 dogs and they are grandfathered in but when one passes away you cannot replace that third dog.
Nothing in the deed restrictions say this. It has been repeated so many times that a lot of folks trust it as fact.

So, the question is - If you get reported, how are you prepared to prove that you are 'grandfathered in'?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Nothing in the deed restrictions say this. It has been repeated so many times that a lot of folks trust it as fact.

So, the question is - If you get reported, how are you prepared to prove that you are 'grandfathered in'?
You are correct, the deed restrictions allow for only 2 there is nothing in there about bringing 3 dogs just because that is how many you own. It wold be interesting to hear if anyone ever complained about 3 dogs and what the response was.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post

Here is a quote from an e-mail sent by my sales agent:
“I spoke with someone this morning in the Standards Division and asked about the pet limit. This is what was explained to me. No one from the district is policing the neighborhood to identify homes with more than two pets. In the event a neighbor complains about you having more than two pets, they will send you a letter to let you know that when one of your pets passes away, you may not replace it.“
Old 08-26-2019, 02:32 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

That makes no sense at all.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
That makes no sense at all.
I agree. What happens when a pet passes away and they replace it? Do they just get another letter?
Old 08-26-2019, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRose View Post
“I spoke with someone this morning in the Standards Division and asked about the pet limit. This is what was explained to me. No one from the district is policing the neighborhood to identify homes with more than two pets. In the event a neighbor complains about you having more than two pets, they will send you a letter to let you know that when one of your pets passes away, you may not replace it.“
That is exactly what my sales agent told me. W moved here with 3 dogs. Lost 2 gained 1 and we are staying at 2. I know of several homes with more than 2.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRose View Post
Talk of the Villages is a great place to get OPINIONS and very few Facts. You were correct to call and get correct information.
Closed Thread

Tags
owners, dogs, walls, dog, villas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.