Dental pain

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Dental pain

I am reading this forum in the middle of the night trying to make it through till I see the dentist on Thursday. He RXed me 7.5-300 Hydrocodine and it is doing not a thing for the pain. At first I thought I had a sinus infection as the pain was up by my nose but now the teeth are throbbing and face is swollen so I guess It is a tooth. Wish there was something I could take to get the edge off.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I am reading this forum in the middle of the night trying to make it through till I see the dentist on Thursday. He RXed me 7.5-300 Hydrocodine and it is doing not a thing for the pain. At first I thought I had a sinus infection as the pain was up by my nose but now the teeth are throbbing and face is swollen so I guess It is a tooth. Wish there was something I could take to get the edge off.
You need to be seen if there is swelling. You need an antibiotic before any procedure can be done.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 AM
Sage

I agree with Gracie and have never found anything that dulls tooth ache pain except the dentist.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Sage

You need to call that dentist back and explain to him what you have here. I would think he would need to see you asap given you have swelling and that amount of pain. IF not then let your fingers do the walking and call another dentist office who will take you in as an emergency!!

My experience has always been that a practioner has seen me "the same day" as when I called. I've had extensive work done to my teeth from root canals, crowns to implants so speak from experience.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Gold member

I use about 1/2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide on the tooth pain area. Keep it on there till it bubbles for a minute and the pain disappears then spit it out but don't rinse right away. It won't taste too great but it works for me and I've had a lot of tooth problems over the years. This is the fastest, non prescription I've found that actually works for me.
In reality, they're different!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

Happened to me once and nothing would stop the pain. It was an abcess and to relieve the pain before they could do a root canal, they drilled a hole in the tooth for it to drain, gave me an antibiotic and then I had the root canal done. Once the hole was drilled, there was immediate relief. I guess pressure builds up.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Going to Doctor

Thanks for all the advice. I hate to be a bother I guess I should have been more pushy as soon as I called back the dentist agreed to see me today.

Why is it these things always get weird at midnight. It is now 10 AM so I have followed all your advice and gotten help.

The dentist said because the hydro perox thing you suggested didn't have any effect it probably isn't dental.

I have an appointment today with my primary care anyway and I talked to both the dentist and the primary care this Am and it is possible it is a flare up of a thing called Ramsay Hunt and not the tooth as the symptoms have gotten weird.

Started on an antibiotic and will see what reg doc says if he says its not the Hunt thing the dentist will see me right after as an emergency.

Oh by the way Ramsay Hunt is a form of herpes zoster The sore (like a cold sore) is in the ear or roof of the mouth but can also be in the nose and it attacks the facial nerves. As the face has begun to sag that may be it. I had not had a flare up since 1990 and had frankly forgotten all about it.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
I use about 1/2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide on the tooth pain area. Keep it on there till it bubbles for a minute and the pain disappears then spit it out but don't rinse right away. It won't taste too great but it works for me and I've had a lot of tooth problems over the years. This is the fastest, non prescription I've found that actually works for me.
The hydrogen peroxide has also worked for me. If that doesn't work a few shots of whiskey will, either you won't feel it or you won't care if you feel it.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Sage

It seems like you were in a lot of pain and I would have pushed the doctor into giving me a quick emergency type appointment. That's why you go to him, instead of having to find another dentists who is willing to take on another patient. It seems that's what you did anyway.

If a doctor is not receptive to an immediate need appointment, it time to shop for a more caring doctor. The area around the teeth has a lot of nerves so the pain can be excrutiating. I had am emergency once on a sunday and it's a good thing I was at a friends house who informed me, (i didn'yt know), that dentists were on a hospital's staff. I went and he lanced my gums and the pain slowly oozed from my face. It was immediate relief.

Either he was listening to you or you didn't persist in saying that you needed to be seen right away.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Sage

The last time I had my tooth implants put in, I'd had a cold sore or canker sore on my lip. A couple of days after the procedure my cheek was swollen a bit and sore. The oral surgeon thought maybe I had an infection in one of the new implants (1 of 3). He put me on antibiotics and the swelling disappeared.

I do have rheumatoid arthritis...before my diagnosis I was dealing with a lot of pain issues. Some in my neck, back and arms/hands....but then I began to have pain in my jaw. I was seeing a dentist and an oral surgeon (again implants) at the time. After x-raying and doing whatever they do...the oral surgeon told me about a large tendon that does from the mouth joint down to ??? Not sure where but all this has to do with opening/closing the mouth. He showed me how to massage this area which did help immensely. Fast forward----I've had this pain off and on, have decided it's related to the R.A. somehow as it comes and goes.

Teeth issues are horrible. The abcesses I would get ALWAYS seemed to happen at night, on the weekend or a very inconvenient time. They always culminated in root canals.

Hope you find the answers you need for you pain!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Default Vodka

The only thing that ever helped me...VODKA...NOT drinking it.....swishing in your mouth directly on the affected tooth....the spit out.

It hurts like hell for a sec, but then...relief!

Does not last long, however. I used to put some in a small glass to keep swishing...gross but in that state you would sell your soul!
Chandler, AZ
Battle Creek, MI
Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I hate to be a bother I guess I should have been more pushy as soon as I called back the dentist agreed to see me today.

Why is it these things always get weird at midnight. It is now 10 AM so I have followed all your advice and gotten help.

The dentist said because the hydro perox thing you suggested didn't have any effect it probably isn't dental.

I have an appointment today with my primary care anyway and I talked to both the dentist and the primary care this Am and it is possible it is a flare up of a thing called Ramsay Hunt and not the tooth as the symptoms have gotten weird.

Started on an antibiotic and will see what reg doc says if he says its not the Hunt thing the dentist will see me right after as an emergency.

Oh by the way Ramsay Hunt is a form of herpes zoster The sore (like a cold sore) is in the ear or roof of the mouth but can also be in the nose and it attacks the facial nerves. As the face has begun to sag that may be it. I had not had a flare up since 1990 and had frankly forgotten all about it.
I hate to hear about you having this level of pain. If they ascertain it is a flair up of Ramsey Hunt, will they give you an antiviral?

Having just gone through not NEARLY close to what you are feeling, an ordinary "dry socket" after dental surgery, you have my sympathy completely.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,

Gracie
Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Gold member
Default Thanks for the support

It turns out that I have both a sinus infection and an abcesses needing a root canal. Went to the Primary and he said it looks like I have a bad infection in my sinus and the amoxi would help. I then went to the Dentist and he found an absess and the dental endo did a root canal right away. So hopefully I am all sorted and will be ok now. Thanks for all the support. If the Ramseys is back they will put me on an antiviral.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
It turns out that I have both a sinus infection and an abcesses needing a root canal. Went to the Primary and he said it looks like I have a bad infection in my sinus and the amoxi would help. I then went to the Dentist and he found an absess and the dental endo did a root canal right away. So hopefully I am all sorted and will be ok now. Thanks for all the support. If the Ramseys is back they will put me on an antiviral.
So glad you reported in. You have been on my mind.

Put your feet up and have someone bring you things.

Take good care.

Send a PM if you need an errand run.

GG

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.