Vinyl vs wood flooring

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Vinyl vs wood flooring

We recently had a flood and need to replace carpeting. I notice TV has vinyl flooring in new homes and it looks so real yet is waterproof, durable and comfortable underfoot. Would like to hear your experiences. Thanks
Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 PM

We had engineered wood floor in NC where we moved from and had LVT installed in our new house here. The LVT is easier to maintain than hardwood and looks good when put down in an area.

One cautionary note, we installed our floor with the house being built late last year. About 3 months ago we noticed the flooring in the kitchen begin to separate between 2 planks. We put in a warranty request and we had the installers over several times and a rep from the manufacturer out. He said he has never seen this happen but they would make it right for us. They have 60 days to give us an update and that time is almost up. We will see but hopefully it was just a bad plank they can replace and no issues going forward.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have engineered hardwood in our home and the laminate hardwood in a rental home. They both look good and wear well. The laminate or vinyl does not look like real wood where the engineered does. With the laminate you have a repeat pattern.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

They Vinyl is pretty much waterproof but not cut proof.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:49 AM

From Consumer Reports: Best Flooring Buying Guide - Consumer Reports
Old 09-11-2019, 07:17 AM

Just a note we have found in flooring choices. Since homes here in TV are built on concrete slab homes many people have gone with tile, vinyl or wood flooring only to regret later. The issue we have seen and heard is the adverse effect on the feet, back and joints. Not in every case but enough that we have helped install ten homes with floating laminate flooring. Can put extra thick padding under the floor and it is much easier on body. Just info that we have heard and seen from others. One more thing is what ever you go with ask to have the base boards removed before installation or they will add a quarter round moulding to the based board making the installation look like an add on, not clean like the original installation.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Real engineer wood floor has a much better feel and look. I put the laminate flooring in my rentals because it is very durable, but not the feel.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:08 AM

As they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I had engineered wood when I lived up North. I've had tile, carpet and laminate in my first three homes in The Villages. In my current home I have LVT and I love it. Easy to clean and maintain. Of all the choices I've made my personal choice is the latter,definitely LVT
Old 09-12-2019, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Back up north, I installed an engineered wood floor, actually looked like 12 inch square tiles. Since this was going in the kitchen and dining room, I wanted to make sure it was really water 'proof'. I took several sample and submerged these in water for almost 2 weeks while I was doing other work for the kitchen. I then took the pieces out and compared to original material, NO swelling, or any other apparent water damage. It appears that the newer snal to lock engineered wood floors are much better than the older ones. Sorry, I do not remember the name of the flooring, but you can typically buy one piece of flooring (or maybe get a sample) and do the same test to confirm water resistance.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
……………... One more thing is what ever you go with ask to have the base boards removed before installation or they will add a quarter round moulding to the based board making the installation look like an add on, not clean like the original installation.
Removing painted and caulked base board then reinstalling expecting the original installation quality is a challenge for most carpenters. A craftsman can do it but most carpenters won't spend the time.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post
Removing painted and caulked base board then reinstalling expecting the original installation quality is a challenge for most carpenters. A craftsman can do it but most carpenters won't spend the time.
They did it in my Patio Villa and it came out great.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post
We had the quarter round installed in CT. Gave it a nice finished look.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-13-2019, 04:04 PM

personal preference
Closed Thread

Tags
vinyl, flooring, waterproof, durable, real

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.