Violation Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Default Violation Tickets

My neighbor told me that she and her husband were in Spanish Springs listening to the music in the square in their golf cart The couple next to them were drinking wine and beer (in their golf cart). A police officer came over and handed them a ticket for public drinking. He explained that sitting in a vehicle even a non moving vehicle with an open alchololic beverage is a violation. The couple was so shocked they couldn't speak.

Now if they were standing next to their golf cart or on a sidewalk in the square drinking, that's not against the law!

Is this something that's been going on for awhile or is it a new policy. I know if you have open alcohol in a car and you're stopped for any reason, you can be ticketed for that but we always thought the squares were exempt from this.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
My neighbor told me that she and her husband were in Spanish Springs listening to the music in the square in their golf cart The couple next to them were drinking wine and beer (in their golf cart). A police officer came over and handed them a ticket for public drinking. He explained that sitting in a vehicle even a non moving vehicle with an open alchololic beverage is a violation. The couple was so shocked they couldn't speak.

Now if they were standing next to their golf cart or on a sidewalk in the square drinking, that's not against the law!

Is this something that's been going on for awhile or is it a new policy. I know if you have open alcohol in a car and you're stopped for any reason, you can be ticketed for that but we always thought the squares were exempt from this.
I can't say say this particular case, but I have heard of people being charged with driving under the influence in similar situations. Aside from that, I did have one motorist ask me at work if he could be arrested for driving under the influence while on his front porch drinking a beer. In my position (MV Enforcement Supervisor) I had to hold back the urge to bust out laughing at the guy!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Sage

I sure hope there is more to the story, as why an officer would do this fails my common sense test. On a night where we do not feel like staying at the square Linda and I enjoy parking at the square and having a beverage in our cart while listening to the band.

From my experience the officer would be pretty busy if they handed out a ticket to anyone sitting in a parking space at the square enjoying the band and an alcoholic beverage.

Maybe I am wrong again....
Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Maybe they have been experiencing a lot of broken gate arms around eight or nine at night. Sometimes caused by twofers at the squares?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

If I remember correctly, the cops wrote a whole bunch of tickets for open drinking in parked golf carts a couple of years ago. Must be budget shortfall time again and quick revenues have to be raised! Or maybe its ticket quota time again.
Too bad the cops don't go after the loud mufflers, rolling stop sign violations, excessive speeding on Moris Blvd, drunk drivers etc. But that would be too hard, those people are moving.
Lets work on enforcing real safety issues, not enforcing the letter of the law.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I sure hope there is more to the story, as why an officer would do this fails my common sense test. On a night where we do not feel like staying at the square Linda and I enjoy parking at the square and having a beverage in our cart while listening to the band.

From my experience the officer would be pretty busy if they handed out a ticket to anyone sitting in a parking space at the square enjoying the band and an alcoholic beverage.

Maybe I am wrong again....

AJ.... I agree with the common sense test. It could very well be a true story, but I'm always cautious when a post starts; "My neighbor told me..."

Just my thinking...I've been wrong before
Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Gold member

I would think that a open container ticket is an individual ticket, and made out to whoever had the open container - for a cop to walk over and hand them a ticket does make sense "A police officer came over and handed them a ticket for public drinking."
Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Default Patrolling

This is a prime example why, in todays economy, local police do very little patrolling.

Patrolling does not pay anything!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
I know if you have open alcohol in a car and you're stopped for any reason, you can be ticketed for that but we always thought the squares were exempt from this.
LMAO! That is funny! Exempt! This really isn't Disney World! Those are public roads!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
LMAO! That is funny! Exempt! This really isn't Disney World! Those are public roads!
i thought the squares were private property
Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

The streets are public property and therefore, laws must be obeyed.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

I believe the question was whether or not the squires were private property and by extension whether the parking area around the squire was private property. If the cart in question was parked in the squire parking spot and not on the public road, is the citation valid? If the squires are not private property, then everyone drinking an adult beverage anywhere in and around the squires could be cited for public drinking or open container. I'm not a cop or lawyer, just asking a question.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
The streets are public property and therefore, laws must be obeyed.
is that an opinion or a fact?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Just a question

Then why when there is a parade or chili cookoff or a show of some sort when the tables and chairs are set up for the event is it legal. Last time I looked they were in the street?

Last edited by skip0358; 06-06-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: error
Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Open containers in golf cart

They have been doing that in Spanish springs for 8 years that we have been here. We were friends of one of the Lady Lake officers, he says they consider an open container in a cart the same as a vehicle. You are presumptive if sitting in the cart or vehicle drinking, and they can write tickets. Saw it happen numerous times over there. Haven't seen it yet at Lake Sumter, but hardly ever see an officer patroling, maybe a quick trip around the square.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.