Violation Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 11:17 AM

were all ten of these people intoxicated?Were all of these accidents caused by intoxicated golf cart drivers?just askin
Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Veteran member

Downeaster -

The cart paths are multi-modal trails. They are for golf carts, bikes, walking, jogging, skating, unicycling, etc. They are not for cars or motorcycles. Police do not monitor or have jurisdiction on these trails. Golf carts are limited to 20 mph but no tickets are issued for speeding on the trails.

On the streets, carts are still limited to 20 mph. I believe, not sure though, that "Street Legal" carts which have a license plate for Florida can do 25 mph. Quite a few people have the gear ratios changed on their carts so they can do a lot faster than 20 mph. This is illegal and will cost you big fines if caught speeding in the street.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
were all ten of these people intoxicated?Were all of these accidents caused by intoxicated golf cart drivers?just askin
A lot of times people assume accidents & alcohol go hand in hand. That's not usually the case. Just ride around see how many people here are talking on the phone, driving faster then they should be in some areas,checking out the scenery,chatting with the person next to them or just plain daydreaming. The other day while heading up town two golf carts in a hurry pulled out in front of this car. Thank goodness the car driver was alert or there would have been 2 more GC wrecks. What's the hurry. I'm not saying accidents don't happen with alcohol involved I've seen plenty of both retired with 42 years in the fire service. Lets all be safe and responsible.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Sage

The Villages, and the Town Squares, seem to have some very unique "rules". You can shop on vendor night with a drink in your hand. You can wait for a restaurant reservation, and sit outside enjoying a drink from the inside bar. You can walk on the boardwalk with a drink in your hand. If you order a bottle of wine in a restaurant and drink half of it, the wait staff will tell you to take the bottle home with you. You can watch the sun set at Sunset Point on the Bridge, and have cocktails.

I'm very surprised that they would ticket someone at SS sitting in their golfcart enjoying a beverage. Perhaps some of these things aren't legal, but it sure seems that they are, based on four years of observation. Clarification is definitely required on this subject.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Downeaster -

The cart paths are multi-modal trails. They are for golf carts, bikes, walking, jogging, skating, unicycling, etc. They are not for cars or motorcycles. Police do not monitor or have jurisdiction on these trails. Golf carts are limited to 20 mph but no tickets are issued for speeding on the trails.

On the streets, carts are still limited to 20 mph. I believe, not sure though, that "Street Legal" carts which have a license plate for Florida can do 25 mph. Quite a few people have the gear ratios changed on their carts so they can do a lot faster than 20 mph. This is illegal and will cost you big fines if caught speeding in the street.
I am aware of the above. The post to which I was referring used the term "cart path". Cart paths are on golf courses and only golf traffic is permitted on them.

I would like to add to the section I highlighted. Not only can it cost big fines. They can require the offender to restore the cart to original manufacturers' specs.

Last, but not least, is insurance coverage. By tampering with the vehicle to make it capable of speeds exceeding 20MPH, they may have voided their insurance coverage. In the event of an accident, regardless of fault, the claims adjuster is going to discover the vehicle is not really a golf cart and coverage may be denied.

With all of the pitfalls of exceeding 20MPH, I can not understand why people do it.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

Barefoot, you are absolutely right. Something just does not make sense. There are a couple of possibilities.

1) It really did not happen. The initial post says that a neighbor told someone that a couple next to them got ticketed. Well, as we all know, things do get mixed up when handed down second and third hand.

2) If it did happen - the legal technicality might be the keys were in the switch. Stupid technicality, I know, but it makes it a legal infraction to have an open container in a vehicle either moving or stopped with keys in the switch. Just remove the key and you are safe.

Downeaster made a couple of excellent remarks about the costs of upgrading the speed of your cart - especially the insurance one.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrp01 View Post
The truth is that Sumter county Sheriff and Lady Lake Police have been "heavy handed" in the enforcement of minor infractions..I,personally have not been victim, but I know of others that have..I have witnessed arrogance by some officers and what I perceive as disdain for the senior community here..

The tax base here is greater than the entire county of sumter at least,and we have become easy targets..Come on, 18 in a 15 mph cart path, golf cart speed traps, this is just petty..If you look at some of the fines involved it really is cash to the abusers of power...You'd think, that with the conservative political base here,and the fact we have a prominent Florida politician in residence,that this perception could be corrected, by doing real police work..,There is a huge crystal meth problem in the areaa surrounding Lady Lake,just look at the reports of raided labs recently...We had six individuals participate in a torture murder just at our western boundary..These are examples of recent,local crimes reported..And this requires real police work...Not the golf cart commandos...

For the record,my family is heavily involved in law enforcement and are consumate professionals in their work..They have had some real laughs (at our expense) over some of the reported incidents that have taken place with our local public service agencies...My perception of local law enforcement, is that they have grown lazy, and are now biting the hand that feeds them...
Thank you, I thought I was only me noticed. This cash cow mentality is prevalent throughout TV and beyond. I actually had one contractor tell me that he resented people moving in the area but it was putting his kids through school. I did not help contribute to his kids college fund and hired another contractor..

Two years ago when down at the square I watched a guy try and kid with one of the cops. It was innocent funny and respectful but th cop appear not to have a sense of humor and quickly his words and body actions told me he was geting angry but this guy wasn't seeing this so I nudged the guy and told him he might want to keep moving. clearly the cop had not shown he hd a sense of humor.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Barefoot, you are absolutely right. Something just does not make sense. There are a couple of possibilities.

1) It really did not happen. The initial post says that a neighbor told someone that a couple next to them got ticketed. Well, as we all know, things do get mixed up when handed down second and third hand.

2) If it did happen - the legal technicality might be the keys were in the switch. Stupid technicality, I know, but it makes it a legal infraction to have an open container in a vehicle either moving or stopped with keys in the switch. Just remove the key and you are safe.

Downeaster made a couple of excellent remarks about the costs of upgrading the speed of your cart - especially the insurance one.
I noticed an ad on this site that claims they can increase the speed of your cart. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
The Villages, and the Town Squares, seem to have some very unique "rules". You can shop on vendor night with a drink in your hand. You can wait for a restaurant reservation, and sit outside enjoying a drink from the inside bar. You can walk on the boardwalk with a drink in your hand. If you order a bottle of wine in a restaurant and drink half of it, the wait staff will tell you to take the bottle home with you. You can watch the sun set at Sunset Point on the Bridge, and have cocktails.

I'm very surprised that they would ticket someone at SS sitting in their golfcart enjoying a beverage. Perhaps some of these things aren't legal, but it sure seems that they are, based on four years of observation. Clarification is definitely required on this subject.
Quote:

I totally agree with barefoot that clarifiication is needed on this subject.

Tbugs - I agree that "something does not make sense".

When determining who's telling the truth in her court cases, Judy Judy always says that "if something does not make sense, then it's not true".
Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampCreature View Post
Yes, clarification is needed. Was the ticket a motor vehicle violation or a general civil violation? DUI/open container or public drinking? The original post says public drinking. If that is so (public drinking), all of the discussion about keys in the ignition and stuff like that is totally irrelevant.

I don't know if the laws have changed since those experiences I mentioned in my prior post. If they are the same, you cannot drink on public property. The streets are public property. It might very well be illegal to take a drink and cross the street from a restaurant over to the square. I know it was very illegal to cross the street with a drink during the Daytona Turkey Run. You had to finish you drink and buy another one on the other side of the street to keep it legal. Or you could cheat and pour your beer from a clear beer cup into a colored soda cup and hope for the best. In many areas with alcohol restrictions (public drinking), beer is sold in clear cups and soda in solid color cups to make it somewhat obvious whether there was a violation. Of course, carrying a classic red and white Budweiser can was just asking for trouble. You can't even pretend that is merely apple juice.

The fact that the golf carts were parked in all probability means they were in a public area. See the property lines in the picture below. All of the slanted parking spaces around the square are public property, not private.

Given a choice between a civil violation and a motor vehicle violation, I would guess public drinking would be preferable to one involving a motor vehicle.

The Villages Florida

I usually don't go to the town squares and when I do I don't drink. so tis whole exercise is a waste of time for me. I just think cops are angels with badges and guns protecting the masses.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Personally, I don't think I want any clarifications about the laws for drinking, while sitting in golf carts...on the squares or anywhere else. I suspect it is not legal to walk around with open containers, as we do. I have never lived in a US city where you were allowed to walk around the streets drinking wine, beer, vodka...you name it. I believe it is a "tolerated" practice in TV and only in TV.

From my perspective, in this instance, ignorance is truly bliss.

Just saying....
Old 06-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post

Thank you Barefoot I think many others have lost the the original context of this thread,it's not about speeding,hot rod carts,it is about,IS it leagal to sit in your golf cart and sip a bottle of wine at the squares ,if it is not then it should be posted, although me and sweety would have missed one of our most memorable evenings sipping wine,listeng to great music,talking to wonderful people and deciding we wanted to spend the rest of our lives there.....................ps, I am not a drunk ,I am an adult!!
!

Last edited by handyman; 06-09-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Platinum member

I sent an e-mail to the Police Chief on this issue. If I receive a reply, it will be shared.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
I sent an e-mail to the Police Chief on this issue. If I receive a reply, it will be shared.
i sure hope the 'goody two shoes' dont ruin a good thing !
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Thank you, I thought I was only me noticed. This cash cow mentality is prevalent throughout TV and beyond. I actually had one contractor tell me that he resented people moving in the area but it was putting his kids through school. I did not help contribute to his kids college fund and hired another contractor..

Two years ago when down at the square I watched a guy try and kid with one of the cops. It was innocent funny and respectful but th cop appear not to have a sense of humor and quickly his words and body actions told me he was geting angry but this guy wasn't seeing this so I nudged the guy and told him he might want to keep moving. clearly the cop had not shown he hd a sense of humor.
There is no doubt that we are "cash cows" to the surrounding populace. And there is a mentality that we f*rts on carts as we are called are looked upon as interlopers for whatever reason be it a few rotten apples or darn yankee rooted feelings. But we do a lot of good for the surrounding communities. Not just business opportunities and employment but charity for the underpriveleged. So I look past the negative and realize that little will change. We know that we are good people from all over the U.S. and that we are doing our best to be good citizens and enjoy ourselves at the same time. As far as the police are concerned they should realize how good it is to have us as the population that they watch over. This should be imparted from the Chief on down. Or maybe the developer should remind them where their loyalties lie. Hey, if it's minor give a warning, if they don't like a drink at the square tell them to dump it. Second time and you're in trouble.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.