Violation Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
With all do respect, does that mean you don't care about the law or do you just think golf cards and you are above the law?

Here something to read:

The research, triggered by doctors at the University of Alabama at Birmingham after treating several serious golf cart related accidents, studied emergency room databases from 2002 to 2005. Results suggest that during that time span, about 48,000 golf cart accidents took place nationwide, injuring roughly 1,000 Americans a month. Research also revealed that an estimated 50% of the accidents happened on the golf course, while the other half generally occurred at homes, on streets and other public property. Young males between the ages of 10 and 19, as well as men 80 and up, were found to have the highest injury rates in these accidents. For those accidents on the golf course, it is speculated that alcohol often plays a primary factor in the cause of collisions.
http://www.tampastpetersburginjuryla...golf-cart.html

Alcohol related accidents are on the rise, doesn't matter if with a car or a golf card. And everybody with alcohol behind the wheel should go to jail. I don't care about the convenient of peoples above the law; it is to protect the other innocent people from drunken driving peoples.
1. you need to use spell check.
2. i was just answering th's question.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I'm wondering (the law notwithstanding), does anybody think it's okay to drink alcoholic beverages while seated at the steering wheel of a golf cart?
Isn't that what the original post is all about??? It says that there was a couple in the cart that were given the violation. You have to assume that one of them was behind the wheel.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
1. you need to use spell check.
2. i was just answering th's question.
Red Tail

1: Spell check would not have picked up the errors and who cares? This isn't about correct English or spelling errors. Not everyone has your level of expertise.

2: Raymond was simply responding to your answer.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
Isn't that what the original post is all about??? It says that there was a couple in the cart that were given the violation. You have to assume that one of them was behind the wheel.
I assume TH meant behind the wheel while driving? Right?

I have no problem with giving the citations now that I know. But until this thread I would never have thought that they'd give you one at the squares while your cart is parked and you are just using it as a seat.

But I won't use it now with any drinks in hand.

TOTV is great for this type of info.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
With all do respect, does that mean you don't care about the law or do you just think golf cards and you are above the law?

Here something to read:

The research, triggered by doctors at the University of Alabama at Birmingham after treating several serious golf cart related accidents, studied emergency room databases from 2002 to 2005. Results suggest that during that time span, about 48,000 golf cart accidents took place nationwide, injuring roughly 1,000 Americans a month. Research also revealed that an estimated 50% of the accidents happened on the golf course, while the other half generally occurred at homes, on streets and other public property. Young males between the ages of 10 and 19, as well as men 80 and up, were found to have the highest injury rates in these accidents. For those accidents on the golf course, it is speculated that alcohol often plays a primary factor in the cause of collisions.
http://www.tampastpetersburginjuryla...golf-cart.html

Alcohol related accidents are on the rise, doesn't matter if with a car or a golf card. And everybody with alcohol behind the wheel should go to jail. I don't care about the convenient of peoples above the law; it is to protect the other innocent people from drunken driving peoples.
If you did a search for ATV's, pleasure boats automobiles, planes, trains, etc
you would get the same sort of statistics. There seems to be some sort of contradiction. Cited are florida Statute defining a golf cart as a motor vehicle, yet we are told that if speeding (i.e. going over 19.9 mph) is prima facie evidenced that a golf cart once categorized as not being a motor vehicle is now a motor vehicle and hence you are fined $250 plus the cost to ave a mechanic changes to prevent said golf cart from reaching speeds above the 19.9. This is because we have no posted speed limits for golf carts on cartpaths and hence an officer can't give you a ticket for speeding.

As to the original post in this thread the information provided was that two people were sitting in their cart with open containers at LSL. Following that original post members have shared information they believed relevent to this thread. The focus to all of this should be "what is the difference between sitting in your cart with an open container and/or sitting at a table or on the curb with an open container. It is a common practice for many residents to drive their carts to the square and utilizing them as a place to sit and enjoy the activities perhaps because thee is little or no seating available or perhaps because of choice. Unless and until someone provides information that these residents were doing more than just that I am left with the impression that it may not be advisable to drink at the squares. This then begs the question as to why the district/Developer would allow eateries/ vendors to sell alcohol? As stated earlier it also is confusing as to what "status" Florida Law really views golf carts to be defined.

I would welcome further clarification of the opinions rendered here
Old 06-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I assume TH meant behind the wheel while driving? Right?

No, I was talking about either "sitting still" or "driving." If you are seated behind the wheel and it's your cart and you are not at home, then it follows that you will turn the key and drive it home.

Has any member of this board ever had anybody say to them, "I'm too drunk to drive my cart home, here take my keys and drive me home."

A couple of years ago, my wife and I along with our daughter and her family were walking to our car at Spanish Springs. We saw a woman so drunk that she couldn't stand up. Her legs were like rubber bands. She had yet another drink in her hand. She stumbled into her cart and off she went. Best part of this......her husband was with her. He got into the passenger side and rode with her.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Default Spanish Springs, Not LSL

The original post stated that the ticketing supposedly occurred at Spanish Springs. I don't believe the original poster ever verified the accuracy of the tale. Did it happen? I don't know. Could it happen? Possibly. Do a google search for "open container" statutes and ordinances. I found an interesting one: with reference to drinking while playing golf. A private golf course that is licensed to sell spirits is considered to be a public course for the purposes of the "open container" law.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 06-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Drinking

First: If it is 10AM in the morning and you are having a beer or cocktail as you read this then "you have a problem".
Second: If the lawn chair had wheels and could go 15+ MPH then yes the person should be ticketed if they are drinking in the chair.
I completely agree that if someone is in a cart, drinking alcohol then yes
they should be ticketed and it should be significant to make sure they get the message that a golf cart can put another person or cart in danger just like a car, motocycle, motoscooter, and a lot of etc.'s.
If the only way a person can enjoy their life in a "golf cart" is by druging themselves and then driving they should be arrested. It should not be
relevant whether the County is trying to raise revenue, etc. If this is a
crime, (which it is) then it should be enforced.!!!
I also saw a cart this morning with a man allowing what looked like a 6 or 7
year old drive a cart.
I guess there are no limits to the idiots among our society.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
First: If it is 10AM in the morning and you are having a beer or cocktail as you read this then "you have a problem".
Second: If the lawn chair had wheels and could go 15+ MPH then yes the person should be ticketed if they are drinking in the chair.
they should be ticketed and it should be significant to make sure they get the message that a golf cart can put another person or cart in danger just like a car, motocycle, motoscooter, and a lot of etc.'s.
If the only way a person can enjoy their life in a "golf cart" is by druging themselves and then driving they should be arrested. It should not be
year old drive a cart.
Funny post. I'm not sure if you were serious or poking fun at other posts in this thread.
If 10 A.M. is inappropriate for a cocktail how does 11 A.M. sound? No? How about 1:15 P.M.? 2:00 P.M.? There must be a decent opening time but when?
The original post said nothing about driving, it was about someone using their cart as a seat. Had they sat a few feet away in a folding chair with a beer or a cocktail that would have been fine. Then they could get back into their cart and legally drive home, provided they were under the limit for D.U.I. Like it or not, an adult can have a drink or two and still legally drive. Your own opposition to alcohol is just that, your opposition. Not good, not bad, not right, not wrong, just your's.
Was the man who allowed a child to drive a cart holding an adult beverage in his hand? I agree that this is a serious offense if it really happened but there is nothing in your post that suggests that alcohol is in any way involved.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
year old drive a cart.
Assuming you have friends/relatives that drink, would it be right for that person (or you) to be ticketed for an open container in that cart just because they saw you at the square and sat down in your cart with you to chat for a minute or two and just happen to have a drink in hand? How is that putting someone else in danger (or themselves or you)? As for anyone drinking in the morning, people who work the midnight shift typically drink at 10 in the morning because that is their "evening". How does that mean they have a problem....or anyone else for that matter. The guy who only drinks at home at 11 p.m. could be the one with the problem for all anyone knows.

Please don't be so intolerant of others. It isn't kind.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 06-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
The original post said nothing about driving, it was about someone using their cart as a seat. Had they sat a few feet away in a folding chair with a beer or a cocktail that would have been fine.
No matter how many times a poster states this the next post is about DUI in a golf car

Most of the posters have been to the square, before this thread did anyone even consider there could be a problem having an adult beverage parked at the square using your golf car to relax in? It would never have dawned on me. There are people all over town square carrying adult beverages. Some sitting on square, some walking across the street to restaurants, groups of carts parked at the square tailgating. How could any rational person know sitting quietly at the square in your golf car with your window down and feet up having an adult beverage would be ticketed? If it were me I would have been in shock if an officer handed me a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkHost View Post
I'm wondering (the law notwithstanding), does anybody think it's okay to drink alcoholic beverages while seated at the steering wheel of a golf cart?
If you mean a beverage or two and I will not be over the legal limit to drive, then I honeslty do believe it is OK.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Default violation

If it's ten A.M. and I choose to have a beer and

it bothers you then I believe that you are the one with a problem
Old 06-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
No, I was talking about either "sitting still" or "driving." If you are seated behind the wheel and it's your cart and you are not at home, then it follows that you will turn the key and drive it home.

Has any member of this board ever had anybody say to them, "I'm too drunk to drive my cart home, here take my keys and drive me home."

A couple of years ago, my wife and I along with our daughter and her family were walking to our car at Spanish Springs. We saw a woman so drunk that she couldn't stand up. Her legs were like rubber bands. She had yet another drink in her hand. She stumbled into her cart and off she went. Best part of this......her husband was with her. He got into the passenger side and rode with her.
This thread isn't about driving the cart home drunk. It's about whether the police should hassle people for breaking the 'letter' of the law by having a container in a still cart. People could still drive home drunk if the were the driver, got out of their cart to drink, and then got back into their cart to drive home. Let's stay on point.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
No matter how many times a poster states this the next post is about DUI in a golf car

Most of the posters have been to the square, before this thread did anyone even consider there could be a problem having an adult beverage parked at the square using your golf car to relax in? It would never have dawned on me. There are people all over town square carrying adult beverages. Some sitting on square, some walking across the street to restaurants, groups of carts parked at the square tailgating. How could any rational person know sitting quietly at the square in your golf car with your window down and feet up having an adult beverage would be ticketed? If it were me I would have been in shock if an officer handed me a ticket.

If you mean a beverage or two and I will not be over the legal limit to drive, then I honeslty do believe it is OK.

I agree 100%. I would have never expected it at all. I have a 4 seater and we've backed in and sat in the back seats to listen to the music and yes had an open container. What makes it confusing as I stated earlier is that when there's some type of event it must be allowed because nobody gets a ticket then.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Let's stay on point.
It is on point. Open container laws were enacted because the consumption inside a vehicle predisposes the consumer to drunk driving. They didn't issue the violation because somebody was drinking in public, they issued it because it was in a vehicle which, in all likelihood will be headed out to the road.

As someone pointed out, would you want to see your airline pilot have a quick one before he takes off?

It's all the same, sitting still or driving. It's right on point.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.