Violation Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I still question whether this even happened... ... Heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from another...

Me thinks not!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I believe it happened but there may be exenuating circimstances that the observer/explainer was not aware. My interest in this thread is to discover what truly happened. It is one thing to issue a ticket to people who are DUI and quite another to do so for someone whose only act was having an open container. Question: How many people leave the town squares drunk? How many residents even drink an alcoholic beverage, other than a glass of wine at dinner?
Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampCreature View Post
That's strange, because the original post said:

Believe me, they were given a ticket for "open container." Or, maybe they were drunk and got a ticket for being drunk in public.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
It is on point. Open container laws were enacted because the consumption inside a vehicle predisposes the consumer to drunk driving. They didn't issue the violation because somebody was drinking in public, they issued it because it was in a vehicle which, in all likelihood will be headed out to the road.

As someone pointed out, would you want to see your airline pilot have a quick one before he takes off?

It's all the same, sitting still or driving. It's right on point.
You really think it's the same? So in your mind it's OK if the person moves out of his cart by 3 feet and drinks with all the intention of getting back into the cart? This discussion is about whether the police should make it a point to give people citations for sitting in their cart. Not for driving the cart with an open container. Giving a citation to someone sitting at the square is just plain 'looking for things to do by the officer' in my opinion.

What's the upshot? People bring a lawn chair and sit 3 feet away. Great use of time by our paid public officials!
Old 06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
This discussion is about whether the police should make it a point to give people citations for sitting in their cart. !
Yep! That's the violation, sitting or driving, open container is open container. Using your logic then, if a cop stops a guy on the highway and he's got an open whiskey bottle in his lap, his argument could be, "hey Mr. Policeman, I'm stopped on the side of the road, I'm not moving, you can't give me a ticket."

But then, If I said the sky was blue, you would disagree with me.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Gold member

k just enjoying lifeQUOTE=Talk Host;361696]Yep! That's the violation, sitting or driving, open container is open container. Using your logic then, if a cop stops a guy on the highway and he's got an open whiskey bottle in his lap, his argument could be, "hey Mr. Policeman, I'm stopped on the side of the road, I'm not moving, you can't give me a ticket."

But then, If I said the sky was blue, you would disagree with me.[/QUOTE]

you are tainted because youre a former leo...what russ is saying is he 'we' enjoy sitting at the square with a drink... not drunk just enjoying life. i know there is no way im going to get through to you because you have that authoritative mindset! life is good so we enjoy it doing no harm to anyone but maybe our livers.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Founder

Quote:
you are tainted because youre a former leo...what russ is saying is he 'we' enjoy sitting at the square with a drink... not drunk just enjoying life. i know there is no way im going to get through to you because you have that authoritative mindset! life is good so we enjoy it doing no harm to anyone but maybe our livers.
Should each person be permitted to determine what his or her own prosecutable level is, or should we all obey the laws. Just asking.

I personally appreciate the "authoritative mindset" of the men and women who keep me safe. But that's just me, I guess.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Should each person be permitted to determine what his or her own prosecutable level is, or should we all obey the laws. Just asking.

I personally appreciate the "authoritative mindset" of the men and women who keep me safe. But that's just me, I guess.
Amen brother, for sure it's not just you.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yep! That's the violation, sitting or driving, open container is open container. Using your logic then, if a cop stops a guy on the highway and he's got an open whiskey bottle in his lap, his argument could be, "hey Mr. Policeman, I'm stopped on the side of the road, I'm not moving, you can't give me a ticket."

I'm confused?? Did the cop stop the guy or was the guy already stopped??
Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Sage

Quote:

We all know what the violation is. We can read.

The question is do YOU think it is a proper use of patrolman's time to issue these citations at the Villages squares? Is this really the type of law enforcement that has any desired effect? What does it do? Next time people will just get out of their cart and drink the same amount.

FYI My sky is gray today
Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
I'm confused?? Did the cop stop the guy or was the guy already stopped??
GeorgeT it apparently doesn't matter according to talk host who was a former LEO an "open container" by any other name is still an "open container" and your guilty as charged.. According to the original post the people issued a ticket were parked in the town square sitting in their golfcart with open containers. What the rest of us are trying to figure out is the difference between sitting in a chair and listening to music vis a vis sitting in the cart?

Apparently it is possible for a sober resident who was sitting in his cart to be issued a ticket. On the other hand there could be aperson who sat all night at katie Bells and is now smashed driving home in a cart, auto or on a bike with no violations....What a country!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Sage

Boy howdy - sure am glad I quit drinking years ago!!

Bill
Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
GeorgeT it apparently doesn't matter according to talk host who was a former LEO an "open container" by any other name is still an "open container" and your guilty as charged..
Interesting how some folks like to demonize current and past law enforcement officers. Makes you wonder why they are so defensive against the police.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:52 AM

Lookin forword to meetin'ya Russ,you make a whole lot more since, then some of these other nice people who I am sure have their own personel reasons for disliking the people that can drink responsibly
Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 AM
Default Lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well...I may be blonde but I know this...The difference between beer on the golf course and no beer on the golf course is several strokes and much less distance and not good directionality.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.