Violation Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Lookin forword to meetin'ya Russ,you make a whole lot more since, then some of these other nice people who I am sure have their own personel reasons for disliking the people that can drink responsibly
Thanks but it's not really their feeling towards drinking. Some of the people on this forum are very strict letter of the law people. They don't believe in common sense law enforcement that actually serves a purpose and uses our tax dollars wisely. For example I would think that the local police (assuming that they do indeed hand out tickets to people sitting in their cart at the square drinking) would be better served by informing the good folks of TV that yes indeed we will have to ticket you insist on doing it. After all the police must enforce the laws. But they do have the latitude to issue warnings and I think most of us had no idea that you couldn't do this since we see it every single night at the squares. Maybe even a small ad campaign.

And after people read this you're going to get responses like "maybe we should have the police take out a full page ad telling people they can't kill other people". I have found in life that there is no way to talk to people about common sense - you either have it or you don't! It can't be taught.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Boy howdy - sure am glad I quit drinking years ago!!

Bill
ummm Bill? I believe that is a direct quote from me.

I am too, by the way. I never could get the hang of it.

I enjoy watching other people and pouring drinks for them.

I have far fewer headaches. And even a couple of people think I am fun...(If I pay them to say it)
Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 AM

A Villagers definintion of the "The spirit of the law.": Anytime you cite one of us and we don't agree with the law then you have violated the spirit of the law. In the Villages ignorance of the law IS an excuse because normal laws don't apply to us. Any and all tickets should be fully explained in a community wide meeting or a full paged newspaper ad. If you do violate "the spirit of the law" as defined by us Villagers, then you obvioulsy have no common sense and are just a badge heavy tool who has nothing better to do than hassle us fine folk who pay your salary.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Default cash cows

more of that disdain for the senior residents huh?..If we excercize common sense and question our keepers then we are "rebels without a cause"
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_foye View Post
Any and all tickets should be fully explained in a community wide meeting or a full paged newspaper ad. If you do violate "the spirit of the law" as defined by us Villagers, then you obvioulsy have no common sense and are just a badge heavy tool who has nothing better to do than hassle us fine folk who pay your salary.
Jeez, Did I call that or what? I should go out and play the lottery today.

A little community outreach goes a long way.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Founder

I wonder if the people who allegedly got the ticket:

Were warned ahead of time, but didn't comply
Were showing signs of intoxication
Were observed making numerous trips to the bar
Were observed mixing more than a few drinks of their own
Were consuming whiskey on the rocks
Were cited only after they started their cart and began to move
Were being warned, but were belligerent to the officer

I also wonder why they were the only poor innocents who were targeted by the nasty old authoritarian minded cops.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
My neighbor told me that she and her husband were in Spanish Springs listening to the music in the square in their golf cart The couple next to them were drinking wine and beer (in their golf cart). A police officer came over and handed them a ticket for public drinking. He explained that sitting in a vehicle even a non moving vehicle with an open alchololic beverage is a violation. The couple was so shocked they couldn't speak.

Now if they were standing next to their golf cart or on a sidewalk in the square drinking, that's not against the law!

Is this something that's been going on for awhile or is it a new policy. I know if you have open alcohol in a car and you're stopped for any reason, you can be ticketed for that but we always thought the squares were exempt from this.
Once again we get into - "my neighbor said" - but I did not see. Where did this thread get to a violation for drinking in a golf cart -- The first statement was we heard from a neighbor "A police officer came over and handed them a ticket for public drinking." A violation for public drinking or open container -- has to be written to the person who violated the law -- not like a parking ticket a policeman does not walk over and hand a ticket to some one sitting in a golf cart. Who does he make it out to??? -- the blue golf cart in SS north side IFO ice cream store. tickets made out to a person (even parking tickets) has a place where you put the violation code number that has been violated. what section of the law was violated weather it is traffic - failure to comply -- or whatever . Just look at the ticket and i am sure it will tell you what it was written for -- if there was such a ticket i am still up in the air about that - just produce the ticket and them argue about the law that was violated
Old 06-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Platinum member

With the information that I supplied to the Police Department, they were unable to find any such citation. I will be in contact with them on Monday morning to give any added info that I can. To many folks are jumping into the fire, not knowing all the facts.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampCreature View Post
Just wondering, which police department? Lady Lake, Lake County Sheriff, or some other agency?

Get the wrong agency and they'll never find anything. Based on the original post saying Spanish Springs, I'd think it would probably be Lady Lake police. Who normally patrols Spanish Springs? But who even knows if the location was accurate.
Yes, I did make contact with Lady Lake Police Department. Also note, no further info from the original poster.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
They don't believe in common sense law enforcement that actually serves a purpose and uses our tax dollars wisely. For example I would think that the local police (assuming that they do indeed hand out tickets to people sitting in their cart at the square drinking) would be better served by informing the good folks of TV that yes indeed we will have to ticket you insist on doing it. After all the police must enforce the laws. But they do have the latitude to issue warnings and I think most of us had no idea that you couldn't do this since we see it every single night at the squares. Maybe even a small ad campaign.
Should this suggestion only apply to the Villages square or also to Ocala Square, Inverness Square, Miami Plaza, Fort Lauderdale Square end endless more squares? Or should we add in the Florida Statutes an exception especially for Villages Square area with Golf Cart?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
who I am sure have their own personel reasons for disliking the people that can drink responsibly
Sorry Sir, but every drink behind the wheels, doesn't matter if golf cart or car, is one drink too much. And this is not a responible behavier. Just my two cent.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

For the third time, I will say that it's my belief that no ticket was even issued...

But, this thread reminds me of growing up in Kentucky, years ago. Every Sunday, my parents would drag me to church. I'll not mention the denomination, but we lived in the bible belt. There were lots and lots of rules and if you broke any of the rules, you were going straight to hell. Ironically, the rules were for everything enjoyable to anyone...no smoking, no drinking, no dancing, no music, no singing, ...I'm not sure how anyone had children, cause that was... Oh well, you get the picture.

I don't like all the rules and certainly don't want to know the official answer to some of the questions posed on this thread. Like having drink sitting in my cart or crossing the street at the square with a glass of wine, etc....

We should just lighten up, enjoy life and not worry so much if someone gets away with breaking a rule.

Just saying....
Old 06-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
For the third time, I will say that it's my belief that no ticket was even issued...

But, this thread reminds me of growing up in Kentucky, years ago. Every Sunday, my parents would drag me to church. I'll not mention the denomination, but we lived in the bible belt. There were lots and lots of rules and if you broke any of the rules, you were going straight to hell. Ironically, the rules were for everything enjoyable to anyone...no smoking, no drinking, no dancing, no music, no singing, ...I'm not sure how anyone had children, cause that was... Oh well, you get the picture.

I don't like all the rules and certainly don't want to know the official answer to some of the questions posed on this thread. Like having drink sitting in my cart or crossing the street at the square with a glass of wine, etc....

We should just lighten up, enjoy life and not worry so much if someone gets away with breaking a rule.

Just saying....
well said memason...i agree completely!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Just saying....
I'll drink to that......and I'll do it in my cart at the square!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Just saying....
Sounds good, honestly. But this need to be changed by the law and not the law bypassed from the people driving a golf cart and living in the Villages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.