Violation Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Today I spoke with an official with the Lady Lake Police Department. No citation was given out for this issue as described by nanci. He did stress that it is illegal to have an open container while in a vehicle, yes golf carts are vehicles. As to the public consumption while in the area of the squares, a permit is issued for this activity. let's put this thread to bed as another Village hoax. It also shows how we Villagers jump to conclusions!!!!
What conclusion? That it is illegal to have an open container in the golf cart as mentioned? The fact that maybe it didn't happen as suggested in no way takes away from the debate. In fact the idea that they (Lady Lake) say it is illegal but don't write citations for it sits on the side of us that think they should use common sense. Which I guess they do if they don't actually issue the citations.

What this thread did do is show how public forums are used by those that just want to get their thoughts out there even if they are not actually addressing the topic of the thread. We had people talking about the dangers of drunk driving (it's bad? really? thanks for letting me know!)

But in the end I did learn that even though Lady Lake may not ticket for it - I won't sit in the cart to drink. I'll bring a chair and sit 5 inches in front of it!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
What conclusion? That it is illegal to have an open container in the golf cart as mentioned? The fact that maybe it didn't happen as suggested in no way takes away from the debate. In fact the idea that they (Lady Lake) say it is illegal but don't write citations for it sits on the side of us that think they should use common sense. Which I guess they do if they don't actually issue the citations.

What this thread did do is show how public forums are used by those that just want to get their thoughts out there even if they are not actually addressing the topic of the thread. We had people talking about the dangers of drunk driving (it's bad? really? thanks for letting me know!)

But in the end I did learn that even though Lady Lake may not ticket for it - I won't sit in the cart to drink. I'll bring a chair and sit 5 inches in front of it!
Russ,

Where did you read that Lady Lake PD doesn't give citations for open containers in carts. My post was concerning this incident.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Russ,

Where did you read that Lady Lake PD doesn't give citations for open containers in carts. My post was concerning this incident.
You need to read Russ' comments more carefully! He stated that he would NOT sit in his cart, but bring a lawn chair and sit 5 inch!s in front of his cart.

However, the originator of this post did NOT get a citation for an open container while in a motor vehicle. They got it for public drinking. I think we need to get some CLEAR statements of these restrictions from the LLPD and have them posted so folks know where they stand (or more importantly where they SHOULDN'T stand) with an open container in hand.

N. Reading, MA; Hampstead, NH; last stop SummerChase Cottages,TV!

Last edited by kandj; 06-14-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandj View Post
You need to read Russ' comments more carefully! He stated that he would NOT sit in his cart, but bring a lawn chair and sit 5 inch!s in front of his cart.

However, the originator of this post did NOT get a citation for an open container while in a motor vehicle. They got it for public drinking. I think we need to get some CLEAR statements of these restrictions from the LLPD and have them posted so folks know where they stand (or more importantly where they SHOULDN'T stand) with an open container in hand.
you may want to reread his post
Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Platinum member
Default Original Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
My neighbor told me that she and her husband were in Spanish Springs listening to the music in the square in their golf cart The couple next to them were drinking wine and beer (in their golf cart). A police officer came over and handed them a ticket for public drinking. He explained that sitting in a vehicle even a non moving vehicle with an open alchololic beverage is a violation..........
Looks like the ticket and the explanation didn't match up.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 06-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Sage

Bill
Old 06-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf-Tinker View Post
DIE, DIE,DIE Get another life people.
Yikes, what's this about? Flashback to high school.

Any wonder we need cops in The Villages?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default to Talk Host

I at first wondered about the die, die, die but hopefully the poster was talking about this thread....not that I want it to die....but hopefully the poster was not wishing ill to people.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf-Tinker View Post
Get another life people.
Well, for a thread that you want so desperately to DIE, you have kept it alive with your posts. Not once, but twice!

My recommendation: When you see the thread title "Violation Tickets", DO NOT CLICK ON IT!

ha ha... I knew those years in tech support would come in handy some day...

Last edited by memason; 06-15-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: small correction....
Old 06-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Russ,

I don't understand how you found about this particular incident since you didn't know the date or the whole name of the person. That's why I assumed they answered you generically that they don't give tickets for this. How did you ask them about the original incident without this info? And why would they answer a stranger anyway?

But all that is secondary. We can still have the debate about whether they should or not. Let's just not move into the drunk driving is dangerous territory (duh!). (I'm not talking about your posts).
Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

LOL Mike (never a good thing to let someone like me know that you are a serious techie as opposed to just a tinkerer -- I may be whining for help soon hehe).

As to this thread, I'm not convinced I want to see it die. It brings up some very valid issues re drinking in a golf cart. I really don't care if the neighbor actually saw someone get a ticket for sitting in a cart and drinking. I care that people don't view golf carts as vehicles and can't seem to understand that drinking and driving don't mix, regardless of the mode of transportation.

I care that people see this as simply as a way for a town to make money, not as the preventative measure it is. They can't do a darn thing about people at the squares walking around and drinking, but they can if you're on the street. Yet, when people break this simple law and get a warning or a ticket, the first thing they do is scream they were doing nothing wrong. Sorry, it is against the law. It really is that simple.

Yes, TV is seen as a cash cow. Deservedly so. We pay the most taxes. There are jobs created because of TV. We provide entertainment. And so on and so forth. Without TV, this area would be nothing but a farm community with the towns suffering even higher unemployment, poor schools, bad roads, etc. However, that doesn't make Villagers exempt from the law. Believe it or not, I do know of Lady Lake officers who have ticketed and even arrested people in the town of Lady Lake for open containers in a parked vehicle. I even have heard (can't state as fact, though) of a bicyclist getting a DUI for drinking while on his bike in Summerfield. As I said, if I get pulled over for breaking a moving violation, I thank the officer for doing his job. I was in the wrong, not he. Some things in life should be argued and fought for, some things should not. An officer trying to get a message across about golf carts being vehicles and that driving a cart and drinking don't mix should be met with a hearty thank you, not complaints. (And why is it assumed he was anything but courteous when he gave this warning or handed out the citation?)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Gold member
Default drinking

I see nothing wrong with having a beer and then driving your golf cart.Remember it is not against the law to drink and drive,if you are under the limit.You know of the people who have a glass of wine for dinner,same thing.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
LOL Mike (never a good thing to let someone like me know that you are a serious techie as opposed to just a tinkerer -- I may be whining for help soon hehe).

As to this thread, I'm not convinced I want to see it die. It brings up some very valid issues re drinking in a golf cart. I really don't care if the neighbor actually saw someone get a ticket for sitting in a cart and drinking. I care that people don't view golf carts as vehicles and can't seem to understand that drinking and driving don't mix, regardless of the mode of transportation.

I care that people see this as simply as a way for a town to make money, not as the preventative measure it is. They can't do a darn thing about people at the squares walking around and drinking, but they can if you're on the street. Yet, when people break this simple law and get a warning or a ticket, the first thing they do is scream they were doing nothing wrong. Sorry, it is against the law. It really is that simple.

Yes, TV is seen as a cash cow. Deservedly so. We pay the most taxes. There are jobs created because of TV. We provide entertainment. And so on and so forth. Without TV, this area would be nothing but a farm community with the towns suffering even higher unemployment, poor schools, bad roads, etc. However, that doesn't make Villagers exempt from the law. Believe it or not, I do know of Lady Lake officers who have ticketed and even arrested people in the town of Lady Lake for open containers in a parked vehicle. I even have heard (can't state as fact, though) of a bicyclist getting a DUI for drinking while on his bike in Summerfield. As I said, if I get pulled over for breaking a moving violation, I thank the officer for doing his job. I was in the wrong, not he. Some things in life should be argued and fought for, some things should not. An officer trying to get a message across about golf carts being vehicles and that driving a cart and drinking don't mix should be met with a hearty thank you, not complaints. (And why is it assumed he was anything but courteous when he gave this warning or handed out the citation?)
Well stated
Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Sage

Red - Respectfully, I don't need a reminder about the dangers of driving while intoxicated (in any moving vehicle). But the vast, vast majority of us (who have an alcohol drink) have 1 or 2 drinks and then get home in some moving vehicle. We are not intoxicated or even near the limit. I still don't like the idea of getting a citation in a parked cart on the square while you could sit 5 inches in front of the cart with no citation. Not one single responder on this site has said it's OK to get drunk and drive - not one. This isn't a referendum on drunk driving.

PS > because of this thread I have purchased and will use my fold up chairs in the square. Save me some cash!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Red - Respectfully, I don't need a reminder about the dangers of driving while intoxicated (in any moving vehicle). But the vast, vast majority of us (who have an alcohol drink) have 1 or 2 drinks and then get home in some moving vehicle. We are not intoxicated or even near the limit. I still don't like the idea of getting a citation in a parked cart on the square while you could sit 5 inches in front of the cart with no citation. Not one single responder on this site has said it's OK to get drunk and drive - not one. This isn't a referendum on drunk driving.

PS > because of this thread I have purchased and will use my fold up chairs in the square. Save me some cash!
Well, don't come cryin' to me, when someone sits on your folding chair when you get up to pee..... Or SAVES it by chaining it to the next five.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.