Violation Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Gold member
Default carts

Seems awhile back,someone said to me,If you are drinking at the square in your cart,make sure you take the keys out of the ignition.Something about the drinking and driving laws.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
I believe the question was whether or not the squires were private property and by extension whether the parking area around the squire was private property. If the cart in question was parked in the squire parking spot and not on the public road, is the citation valid? If the squires are not private property, then everyone drinking an adult beverage anywhere in and around the squires could be cited for public drinking or open container. I'm not a cop or lawyer, just asking a question.
Would that be the squares?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Sage

Is SS in Lake County? Lake County must be low on dough.

I think they followed the letter but not the "spirit" () of the law.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I believe the question was whether or not the squires were private property and by extension whether the parking area around the squire was private property. If the cart in question was parked in the squire parking spot and not on the public road, is the citation valid?
Yes, it is valid Fl. Statutes 316.1936. This apply's also for DUI on private property, Fl Statutes 316.193
Old 06-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Question tickets

Does that mean you can not have beer on the golf courses?and if not, what is the difference
Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Would that be the squares?
Sorry, squares would be correct. I blame an over reliance on spel-chek. Plus I was drinking at the time of the post (but not at the square).
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Were the people being loud?This would have a bearing on how I would feel about this case,I mean if the people were just sitting and enjoying themselves.But if not then I think I'm going to have to take this into consideration before I commit...............
Old 06-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Does that mean you can not have beer on the golf courses?and if not, what is the difference
Well...I may be blonde but I know this...The difference between beer on the golf course and no beer on the golf course is several strokes and much less distance and not good directionality.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Sorry, squares would be correct. I blame an over reliance on spel-chek. Plus I was drinking at the time of the post (but not at the square).
I caught the error too, but I just ignored it thinking you were fanticizing or day dreaming that you were a prince back in the days of King Arthur and his round table!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Seems awhile back,someone said to me,If you are drinking at the square in your cart,make sure you take the keys out of the ignition.Something about the drinking and driving laws.

Yes, Florida Statute 316.1936. refers to an open container of an alcoholic beverage while operating a vehicle in the state. My understand is that your are considered to be operating a vehicle if the keys are in the ignition, even if the motor is turned off.

So perhaps the solution is to remove the keys before opening or purchasing libation at the squares and discarding the containers before driving off.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
Yes, Florida Statute 316.1936. refers to an open container of an alcoholic beverage while operating a vehicle in the state. My understand is that your are considered to be operating a vehicle if the keys are in the ignition, even if the motor is turned off.

So perhaps the solution is to remove the keys before opening or purchasing libation at the squares and discarding the containers before driving off.
I stand by my initial reaction in post #3, but if we do pursue this for discussion sake over coffee which is fun; I ponder if a golf cart is a motor vehicle at all under the law? Unless they were in an LSV (maybe they were??) I think the golf cart is more like a bicycle than a motor vehicle in the eyes of the law.

Alan is no lawyer, just chatting over , oh sorry, wrong icon, .
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If a golf cart is considered to be in the same class as a bike, then the ticket would be appropriate -- you can get a DUI for riding a bike intoxicated. If you sit (well, stand with bottom resting on the seat) on your bike with an open container, you can be cited.

This may well be a money maker for Lake County but the reality is there is too much drinking and driving in golf carts and the results are not always pretty. Wish people could understand that drinking and driving don't mix and that's true whether it's a car, a golf cart, a bike, whatever. If you're going to be in a moving contraption, drink responsibly. If it takes ticketing people sitting in their golf carts drinking to remind people that drinking laws apply to golf carts just as they do to cars, then ticket away.

We may not like all laws and there are ways to change laws but if you choose to break a law, don't whine when it costs you. As I've admitted, I'm a speeder. I do get pulled over. I don't try to talk my way out of a ticket. Most times I'm lucky and only get a warning. When I do get a ticket, I thank the officer for being polite and doing his/her job, pay the fine and go on my way. I know when I'm breaking the law and, if I don't, then maybe I should find out what the law is rather than blaming the officer who does know the law or crying that the city is only making money and my illegality is harmless.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default ^^^^ Good Post Redwitch^^^^^

Wow Red! You mean you are an adult and are willing to take responsibility for your actions! I knew I admired you! So many think they are a victim or should not have to take the consequences of their actions... Nice post.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
If a golf cart is considered to be in the same class as a bike, then the ticket would be appropriate -- you can get a DUI for riding a bike intoxicated. If you sit (well, stand with bottom resting on the seat) on your bike with an open container, you can be cited.

This may well be a money maker for Lake County but the reality is there is too much drinking and driving in golf carts and the results are not always pretty. Wish people could understand that drinking and driving don't mix and that's true whether it's a car, a golf cart, a bike, whatever. If you're going to be in a moving contraption, drink responsibly. If it takes ticketing people sitting in their golf carts drinking to remind people that drinking laws apply to golf carts just as they do to cars, then ticket away.

We may not like all laws and there are ways to change laws but if you choose to break a law, don't whine when it costs you. As I've admitted, I'm a speeder. I do get pulled over. I don't try to talk my way out of a ticket. Most times I'm lucky and only get a warning. When I do get a ticket, I thank the officer for being polite and doing his/her job, pay the fine and go on my way. I know when I'm breaking the law and, if I don't, then maybe I should find out what the law is rather than blaming the officer who does know the law or crying that the city is only making money and my illegality is harmless.
Well said, Red. I like and admire your attitude.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

Well said, Red!! (Sometimes I wonder how many people who have had serious problems with drinking and driving are now driving golf carts, thinking it is not as dangerous)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.