Violation Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Russ, I can not cite the law. I based it on the first post the reason the officer issued the ticket. It is 2nd hand information
Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbat View Post
Russ, I can not cite the law. I based it on the first post the reason the officer issued the ticket. It is 2nd hand information
No problem - you are probably correct. I tried to find the law but the one I found just says 'motor vehicles'. I guess that includes golf carts. I've yet to find the actual Florida law.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post

I tried to say what Russ said in my earlier posts, but did so much less elegantly. To be clear I strongly agree with the guy who hails from Norton, MA and The Villages .
I'm tired of all this "isn't Russ wonderful crap". If he was such a great guy then why...

oh wait, that's me - As Rosana Dana said "Never Mind!"
Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Yes, it is valid Fl. Statutes 316.1936. This apply's also for DUI on private property, Fl Statutes 316.193
Russ - FYI From an earlier poster.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
No problem - you are probably correct. I tried to find the law but the one I found just says 'motor vehicles'. I guess that includes golf carts. I've yet to find the actual Florida law.
Have fun finding the definition/clarification of what constitutes a "motor vehicle"!

If FL's statute is anything like OH's regarding the definition of a "motor vehicle", it would not include golf carts. From OH's perspective, they consider a motor vehicle to be something that's a titled unit for usage on public roads or waterways - cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, and such. Thus, even though golf carts are approved in TV for usage on the roadways, they are not titled vehicles. I would assume LSVs would fall under that category, though, as they are titled.

I had to plow through OH's stuff on that exact topic ("What is considered to be a motor vehicle?") a number of years back for my business - needed to determine it specifically as it impacted collection of sales taxes for me regarding services rendered to "motor vehicles". It was a bit frustrating to find the right person in the right department in the right.......anyways, I eventually got it all straight! WHEW!

Again, that's how it works in OH. I'd have to think FL would be awfully similar.

Bill
Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Russ - FYI From an earlier poster.
Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Open container law

The law states 316.1936 states in a vehicle.If the container is open it must be locked up in a trunk or locked glove box.Also goes on to state that it is unlawful and punishable as provided for any person to posses an alcoholic beverage while seated in or on a motor vehicle. By definition a motor vehicle is any vehicle with wheels and a motor that doesn't run on rails. I don't agree but I didn't right it. Also in reading on line local law can make it stricter and the penalty is fine, jail time or both. Can also cost 3 points on your liscense
Old 06-10-2011, 07:43 PM

I have always said....Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time. Simple, know the laws and abide with them. Don't like them?, go through the process that it would take to change them. I don't sit at the squares with a beer on the cart but have been known to have one while driving home from the course. I get caught.. no one to blame but myself! It's the law! Sit in a motor vehicle with an open container, busted! Simple!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Have fun finding the definition/clarification of what constitutes a "motor vehicle"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
By definition a motor vehicle is any vehicle with wheels and a motor that doesn't run on rails.
During the 2002 legislative session, however, the Legislature amended the definition of "motor vehicle," effective July 1, 2002. Section 67 of Chapter 02-20, Laws of Florida, amends section 316.003(21) to define "motor vehicle" as "[a]ny self-propelled vehicle not operated upon rails or guideway, but not including any bicycle, motorized scooter, electric personal assistive mobility device, or moped."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I have always said....Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time. Simple, know the laws and abide with them. Don't like them?, go through the process that it would take to change them. I don't sit at the squares with a beer on the cart but have been known to have one while driving home from the course. I get caught.. no one to blame but myself! It's the law! Sit in a motor vehicle with an open container, busted! Simple!
Thank you.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
i thought the squares were private property
The roadways are not private property.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
During the 2002 legislative session, however, the Legislature amended the definition of "motor vehicle," effective July 1, 2002. Section 67 of Chapter 02-20, Laws of Florida, amends section 316.003(21) to define "motor vehicle" as "[a]ny self-propelled vehicle not operated upon rails or guideway, but not including any bicycle, motorized scooter, electric personal assistive mobility device, or moped." ..............
Thanks for the clarification!!

Bill
Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Founder

I'm wondering (the law notwithstanding), does anybody think it's okay to drink alcoholic beverages while seated at the steering wheel of a golf cart?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I'm wondering (the law notwithstanding), does anybody think it's okay to drink alcoholic beverages while seated at the steering wheel of a golf cart?
Interesting point. I'd have the same comfort level if I saw my Continental pilot enjoy a couple of pops behind the controls before the flight...........or worse......during it.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
i dont see anything wrong with it. in fact i do it!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
i dont see anything wrong with it. in fact i do it!
With all do respect, does that mean you don't care about the law or do you just think golf cards and you are above the law?

Here something to read:

The research, triggered by doctors at the University of Alabama at Birmingham after treating several serious golf cart related accidents, studied emergency room databases from 2002 to 2005. Results suggest that during that time span, about 48,000 golf cart accidents took place nationwide, injuring roughly 1,000 Americans a month. Research also revealed that an estimated 50% of the accidents happened on the golf course, while the other half generally occurred at homes, on streets and other public property. Young males between the ages of 10 and 19, as well as men 80 and up, were found to have the highest injury rates in these accidents. For those accidents on the golf course, it is speculated that alcohol often plays a primary factor in the cause of collisions.
http://www.tampastpetersburginjuryla...golf-cart.html

Alcohol related accidents are on the rise, doesn't matter if with a car or a golf card. And everybody with alcohol behind the wheel should go to jail. I don't care about the convenient of peoples above the law; it is to protect the other innocent people from drunken driving peoples.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.