Visiting grandchildren

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Since I don't have grandchildren at all, can I sell my allowable days to someone else?
Only if they stay at your house!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I would say that common sense would prevail. If my next door neighbor had 16 grandkids under 19 and they were there individually for 30 days each, I might just put in a phone call to the Deeds Restrictions office.

However, with common sense, that situation is not going to occur.
You are correct in assuming that is just not going to happen.

Young children usually do not travel on their own, one at a time.

They usually would come as a family unit.

My guess would be April spring vacation which is one week off from school.

I really doubt if they'd come for their entire summer vacation......although the option is there.

Children are a great JOY and enrich all of our lives. Watching them grow from infancy through childhood and marveling at their intelligence and kindness is a "gift" to grandparents. If one enjoyed their own children, which we did, then they should enjoy their grandchildren even more so.

When they were all babies, pre school, etc. they came to visit us much more often as they had no other responsibilities......however, as everyone knows.....once they begin school, sports, extracurricular lessons, church activities, etc. and not to even mention all their friends' birthday parties, summer camps, etc............they really don't come "home" that much any more......once they become teenagers with part time jobs and even more "activities".....then college.......it would be a rare visit, for sure.

No one should really worry about visiting grandchildren.....just enjoy them.

They keep you young at heart.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
You are correct in assuming that is just not going to happen.

Young children usually do not travel on their own, one at a time.

They usually would come as a family unit.

My guess would be April spring vacation which is one week off from school.

I really doubt if they'd come for their entire summer vacation......although the option is there.

Children are a great JOY and enrich all of our lives. Watching them grow from infancy through childhood and marveling at their intelligence and kindness is a "gift" to grandparents. If one enjoyed their own children, which we did, then they should enjoy their grandchildren even more so.

When they were all babies, pre school, etc. they came to visit us much more often as they had no other responsibilities......however, as everyone knows.....once they begin school, sports, extracurricular lessons, church activities, etc. and not to even mention all their friends' birthday parties, summer camps, etc............they really don't come "home" that much any more......once they become teenagers with part time jobs and even more "activities".....then college.......it would be a rare visit, for sure.

No one should really worry about visiting grandchildren.....just enjoy them.

They keep you young at heart.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Sage

Not that I would ever do such a thing, but a rule is only good if it is followed. I guess they could stay more than thirty days in a year, but you could only get a guest pass for said thirty days. Now, I'm going to duck before the tomatoes start being tossed this way.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Not that I would ever do such a thing, but a rule is only good if it is followed. I guess they could stay more than thirty days in a year, but you could only get a guest pass for said thirty days. Now, I'm going to duck before the tomatoes start being tossed this way.
I was thinking the same exact thing. If they didn't need the guest passes, like if you had your own swimming pool.......who is really counting?

Or, if you did a lot of "away" day trips to Disney, Harry Potter, etc. or to the beach, who would be counting their comings and goings???

However, since ours would need to purchase airfare, I doubt if they would overstay their welcome from other villagers/neighbors.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Sage

Mine are only two hours away, but can only get here if I go get them. Uh, don't see that happening. I like visiting them at their house so we can leave when we want.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 AM
Sage

After 30 days with a grand parent, any normal child would naturally progress to being a pain in the butt to the rest of the community. 30 days is too much in my opinion, more than that is not a visit, it is raising the child.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
After 30 days with a grand parent, any normal child would naturally progress to being a pain in the butt to the rest of the community. 30 days is too much in my opinion, more than that is not a visit, it is raising the child.

Not very many grandparents would want to raise children again, that's for sure. I "hear you".

With ours that live out west, they come once a year; deleting the two travel days (from and back to the airport) the amount of time with us is approximately four full days , plus the two travel days.

Regarding the ones that live in the same state but three hours away, they come for long weekends. It used to be 4 times a year; now is less as they are all so involved with so many activities.
We go up to see them several times in the spring/summer. Winter travel is not easy up here.

However, we are all looking forward to two full weeks at the Maine seacoast for all three families this coming summer........I rented a great place with lots of kid friendly activities plus lesiurely days at the beach.
Huge home with room for all.

No one has ever stayed for 30 days....and I doubt very very much if Florida would change things in that respect. What do they say about company after three days????????????
Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Here's a scenario for you. We have a college age son who would come home for the summer from school. We have taken care of the issue, but as we grow our population, with some folks retiring earlier and younger, this will happen more often. 55 year old retires, has a 18 that they had when they where in their 30s. Or in our case, moved in here in our 40s......
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
Here's a scenario for you. We have a college age son who would come home for the summer from school. We have taken care of the issue, but as we grow our population, with some folks retiring earlier and younger, this will happen more often. 55 year old retires, has a 18 that they had when they where in their 30s. Or in our case, moved in here in our 40s......
I don't understand your point on this one jbdfan. Could you explain a little more?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
A couple of points - first, all the news I see on television say that people are needing to work to an older age and postpone retirement.

Second, if you say moved to The Villages in your 40's and had a child under 19 living with you, you would not be allowed to move into The Villages.

A college age person certainly would be welcome here for the summer or even full-time. They would be at least 19.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Platinum member

I don't see what the problem is. The policy states that a resident can apply for a visitor's pass which would be valid for 30 days per year. A visitor is anybody over the age of 1 y/o. It doesn't necessarily have to be a friend, it can be a child, grandchild, aunt, uncle, brother or sister, anybody. The guest will be able to stay with you for 30 consecutive or non-consecutive days in a given year. As far as I can see, there is nothing written to limit the number of guests you may have visit in a year, as long as they have a visitor's pass.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
A couple of points - first, all the news I see on television say that people are needing to work to an older age and postpone retirement.

Second, if you say moved to The Villages in your 40's and had a child under 19 living with you, you would not be allowed to move into The Villages.

A college age person certainly would be welcome here for the summer or even full-time. They would be at least 19.
No they wouldn't. All three of my children started college at 17-18. Their first summer off, they were still 18. If I had them come stay with me, they would have to leave after 30 days because they are still under 19. This is more common than you think. We held off buying the first year my son was in school for this very reason. He lived in Tampa 9 months, with us the other.
Finally, a teacher or many other fortunate professions are able to retire at 55 or earlier based on how frugal they are.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't understand your point on this one jbdfan. Could you explain a little more?
Not really a big deal, Gracie. Just pointing out that this is a possibility. As I mentioned, in our case, we put off buying a year for this reason. Worked out best for us!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
I don't see what the problem is. The policy states that a resident can apply for a visitor's pass which would be valid for 30 days per year. A visitor is anybody over the age of 1 y/o. It doesn't necessarily have to be a friend, it can be a child, grandchild, aunt, uncle, brother or sister, anybody. The guest will be able to stay with you for 30 consecutive or non-consecutive days in a given year. As far as I can see, there is nothing written to limit the number of guests you may have visit in a year, as long as they have a visitor's pass.
Just a point of clarification Ooper, the 30 day per year maximum only applies to guests under the age of 19. Guests 19 and older have no limits on the number of days per year they can stay in TV. The (out-of-area) guest IDs are only issued for 30 days at a time, but they can be renewed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.