Visiting grandchildren

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I see this place as a privilege, not a right. It was designed for the over 55 retired person and that is what drew us here.

We knew the rules about underage children living here and we tried to famiarlize ourselves with other rules and deed restrictions before we opted to buy. If I wanted to move to Orlando I could have done that. There are any number of communities throughout this country that are for all ages and have no restrictions.. This is a wonderful place that has many opportunities for MOST senior people to move here. All of the amenities are the same for all if you paid 65K for your home or a million and a half.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Just a point of clarification Ooper, the 30 day per year maximum only applies to guests under the age of 19. Guests 19 and older have no limits on the number of days per year they can stay in TV. The (out-of-area) guest IDs are only issued for 30 days at a time, but they can be renewed.
Thanx, Skybo for that clarification.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
I agree the 30 days are very sensible. That's one of the reasons we moved into a retirement village. If we wanted to put up with grandchildren we would have moved into the suburbs. If people want to see more of their grandchildren, you can always go vist them.
Exactly. Enough already.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I see this place as a privilege, not a right. It was designed for the over 55 retired person and that is what drew us here.

We knew the rules about underage children living here and we tried to famiarlize ourselves with other rules and deed restrictions before we opted to buy. If I wanted to move to Orlando I could have done that. There are any number of communities throughout this country that are for all ages and have no restrictions.. This is a wonderful place that has many opportunities for MOST senior people to move here. All of the amenities are the same for all if you paid 65K for your home or a million and a half.
Well said. It has already been said in an earlier thread but it is worth repeating. Observe the rules, get the rules changed, move to a neighborhood more suitable to you needs. It is highly unlikely the rules are going to be changed.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

That's like I said, easy fix. We just got an in-area guest pass and that took care of the issue. Rules are rules! Same as with Gkids that live nearby, I get to see them once a week all year around AND they get to use the amenities with us. Pretty sweet deal!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Location: Village of Charlotte (Lauren Villas) from Circleville, Ohio

I have been truly enlightened by the comments. And Senior Citizen, I am, in fact, at this time raising my 7 year old granddaughter and I thank God everyday that I physically and mentally able to do that. Grandchildren are a bless.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I'm getting confused. Wasn't this thread supposed to be about how many days per year grandchildren can visit their grandparents in THE VILLAGES?

For all practical reasons, I really don't think anyone has to worry about any grandchildren overstaying their welcome.

I'll say it again, children are a blessing to all who know them......
To even think that their mere presence is not welcome....is a turn off.

Our 7 month old grandbaby even got her first hole in one on the Nancy Lopez golf course......where our rental home was.......and not one neighbor came out and complained that she was "sitting" near the "hole" and flag...........everyone was very nice.

All of our grandchildren are well behaved and highly intelligent.
Adults in their own communities love to have them around.
I don't see a problem at all.

For those who have to have their older college kids live with them, during the summer school vacations..........I don't see that as an issue either.

Now, if they are the rowdy partying type, that's another story.....altogether. We've always opened our homes to college friends and still do........now they come with their spouses and babies plus school aged children.
Kids keep you young at heart.

All of our friends have a slew of grandchildren and I've never seen negative responses to the presence of children.........they are all adorable.
Plus, the older ones are very helpful.

Last edited by senior citizen; 03-19-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABSX2 View Post
I have been truly enlightened by the comments. And Senior Citizen, I am, in fact, at this time raising my 7 year old granddaughter and I thank God everyday that I physically and mentally able to do that. Grandchildren are a bless.
God bless you and it's great that she has you in her life, for sure.

I was responding to those who seem to think that grandchildren would be a nuisance in The Villages.........while visiting their grandparents for the 30 days. I don't believe it would be thirty days straight.

How would you manage to live in The Villages with your 7 year old grandaughter? One of the family friendly villages near the charter school?

Good luck and God Bless.

p.s. Not knowing your age.......many younger grandparents are quite able to "keep up" with the grandkids. It all depends on your age of course, as far as raising them. I was referring to our particular age......pushing 70.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Location: Village of Charlotte (Lauren Villas) from Circleville, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
God bless you and it's great that she has you in her life, for sure.

I was responding to those who seem to think that grandchildren would be a nuisance in The Villages.........while visiting their grandparents for the 30 days. I don't believe it would be thirty days straight.

How would you manage to live in The Villages with your 7 year old grandaughter? One of the family friendly villages near the charter school?

Good luck and God Bless.

p.s. Not knowing your age.......many younger grandparents are quite able to "keep up" with the grandkids. It all depends on your age of course, as far as raising them. I was referring to our particular age......pushing 70.
Thank you for your kind words. I am in my late 50's and my husband is in his early 60's. We have been raising her since she was 3, but she is near the point of being able to returned to her mother who has made great strides in the last 3 years. Our hope is that by the time that we become permanent residents when I retire in 2 years that they will be settled and we we will be able to enjoy "our time". .
Old 03-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
I'm getting confused. Wasn't this thread supposed to be about how many days per year grandchildren can visit their grandparents in THE VILLAGES?

For all practical reasons, I really don't think anyone has to worry about any grandchildren overstaying their welcome.

I'll say it again, children are a blessing to all who know them......
To even think that their mere presence is not welcome....is a turn off.

Our 7 month old grandbaby even got her first hole in one on the Nancy Lopez golf course......where our rental home was.......and not one neighbor came out and complained that she was "sitting" near the "hole" and flag...........everyone was very nice.

All of our grandchildren are well behaved and highly intelligent.
Adults in their own communities love to have them around.
I don't see a problem at all.

For those who have to have their older college kids live with them, during the summer school vacations..........I don't see that as an issue either.

Now, if they are the rowdy partying type, that's another story.....altogether. We've always opened our homes to college friends and still do........now they come with their spouses and babies plus school aged children.
Kids keep you young at heart.

All of our friends have a slew of grandchildren and I've never seen negative responses to the presence of children.........they are all adorable.
Plus, the older ones are very helpful.
I love little ones a lot. I was a kindergarten teacher. Most people I know look forward to the visits of their friends grandchildren and I most certainly do. I keep a cache of coloring books and crayons and little thingys that kids like so that I will have a little something for our friends grandchildren who are small when they visit their grandparents and their grandparents bring them to see us, who truly enjoy them. Some of the people who post on here will tell you that I have done portraits of their little ones. Both of our grandchildren are now over 20 but I still speak "childrenese" and often say that the only people who TRULY like me are little kids, old men and drunks.

But..like many other people who like children, I am enjoying living in an age restricted community. It is very nice and very peaceful and not worrisome and so beautifully quiet during concerts at Church on the square..

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-19-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words. I am in my late 50's and my husband is in his early 60's. We have been raising her since she was 3, but she is near the point of being able to returned to her mother who has made great strides in the last 3 years. Our hope is that by the time that we become permanent residents when I retire in 2 years that they will be settled and we we will be able to enjoy "our time". .
Grandma's Wings, Grandmother Poem

Grandma’s wings, Grandmother poems.......
(Keep scrolling all the way down to read various poems......)

Grandma’s taking in their grandbabies are definitely angels in my book........
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess where I am going with this is that I only have 1 grandchild that would be visiting, so if someone else has 5, if just doesn't seem right that I only get 30 days, but they would get 150 days.

You got be kidding
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoshow View Post
You got be kidding
I agree!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 AM

if one grandchild comes in january that child can stay for 30 consecutive days..if another comes february 1 that child can stay for 30 consecutive days and so on....your real and only problem would be a neighbor telling on you...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.