Visiting grandchildren

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Location: Village of Charlotte (Lauren Villas) from Circleville, Ohio
Default Visiting grandchildren

I know that the rule for visiting grandchildren is 30 days. But does that mean 30 days per grandchild or a total of 30 days for all the grandchildren that you have? And also does that mean 30 days at one time or for a specific period of time?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABSX2 View Post
I know that the rule for visiting grandchildren is 30 days. But does that mean 30 days per grandchild or a total of 30 days for all the grandchildren that you have? And also does that mean 30 days at one time or for a specific period of time?
30 consecutive days for any child under the age of 19. Obviously the intent is to avoid having children living full time in TV.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
30 consecutive days for any child under the age of 19. Obviously the intent is to avoid having children living full time in TV.
Consecutive Bare? I believe the policy is no more than 30 days (per child) in a calendar year. They can be consecutive days or spread out throughout the year. That is my understand anyway.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Consecutive Bare? I believe the policy is no more than 30 days (per child) in a calendar year. They can be consecutive days or spread out throughout the year. That is my understand anyway.
Skybo, you are probably correct. Sorry LABSX2. I haven't had the need myself to call The Villages and check. I was just relying on information provided by a neighbor, which is never a good idea. I stand corrected and shouldn't have responded.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Well I'm not positive either as I've never had underage visitors, I just think I remember reading that in an official policy statement...but I can't seem to find that source this morning.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Well, I guess where I am going with this is that I only have 1 grandchild that would be visiting, so if someone else has 5, if just doesn't seem right that I only get 30 days, but they would get 150 days.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Sage

I have 9 grandchildren, and 4 great grand children, so by your reasoning, your 1 grandchild should have 390 days per year to be fair ??...The policy is any visitor under 19 may stay 30 days in a calendar year.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I have 9 grandchildren, and 4 great grand children, so by your reasoning, your 1 grandchild should have 390 days per year to be fair ??...The policy is any visitor under 19 may stay 30 days in a calendar year.
No, that is not my reasoning at all. I just think that the policy should have some common sense added to it.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Sage

30 days is quite sensible considering the number of grandchildren we could have on any given day, the resources to keep them entertained, and the tolerance by neighbors , most of whom have opted to move into a development for people over 55.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Sage
Quote:
No, that is not my reasoning at all. I just think that the policy should have some common sense added to it.
The policy is to protect you from having your neighbor open a day care center in their home. Your grandchild can only visit you 30 days a year, but you are free to visit your grandchild at their home as often as you like.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
30 days is quite sensible considering the number of grandchildren we could have on any given day, the resources to keep them entertained, and the tolerance by neighbors , most of whom have opted to move into a development for people over 55.
I agree the 30 days are very sensible. That's one of the reasons we moved into a retirement village. If we wanted to put up with grandchildren we would have moved into the suburbs. If people want to see more of their grandchildren, you can always go vist them.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well, I guess where I am going with this is that I only have 1 grandchild that would be visiting, so if someone else has 5, if just doesn't seem right that I only get 30 days, but they would get 150 days.

The way I understood it is 30 days per child. We have five grandchildren ranging in age from infant to 18.

The two "babies" would come with their parents.

The three older ones would come with their parents.

Schools get one week of Christmas Vacation.
One week of winter vacation in February.
One week of spring vacation in April when Florida really is the nicest and we would bring our own to Disney World.
July and three weeks in August for summer vacation.

Obviously, the parents can't be flying the kids down for all of those school vacations........so I would think at the very most it "might" be one week or two weeks per year.......which would equal 14 days......if that.

Growing children have so many extracurricular activities these days , not to mention summer camps and other activities........

The parents live in different parts of the country and wouldn't necessarily be able to all come at once (meaning sister and brother and their spouses).

If they were able to.........then I still think it would be 30 days per child but not too many parents could afford to keep flying the kids down to do the "thirty days".

Obviously, Disney World and all the other attractions would be a big draw.........
Old 03-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Sage

I would say that common sense would prevail. If my next door neighbor had 16 grandkids under 19 and they were there individually for 30 days each, I might just put in a phone call to the Deeds Restrictions office.

However, with common sense, that situation is not going to occur.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
I only have 1 grandchild that would be visiting, so if someone else has 5, if just doesn't seem right that I only get 30 days, but they would get 150 days.
Since I don't have grandchildren at all, can I sell my allowable days to someone else?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

we have 3 grandchildren, 16 year old has no interest in coming, 13 year old dances all but 2 weeks out of the year, so not going to happen, 10 year old would come but only for a week cause we don't have 100 games he has on his gaming system....so we travel to see them and everyone is happy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.