Glenview Champions Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Banned
Default Glenview Champions Golf Course

Played Glenview yesterday, before the rain, and found the conditions to be deplorable. The Greens have been poorly patched and are spotted with numerous bare and burnt out areas. Some of the Teeing Areas are in deplorable condition. I've been playing here since the day the course opened and have never seen it worse.

What's the problem? Are the contractors doing the work incompetent? Is Golf Course maintenance money being siphoned off for other purposes, ie course construction in the 466A area?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Sage

I almost sent a similar post after playing there Sunday. I say similar as without knowing the root cause it is hard to jump to any conclusions.

IMO Glenview has struggled for a while. It has been one of my favorite country clubs for 6+ years. It has a practice facility, great clubhouse overlooking a finishing hole, etc.

The golf managers that I know were not around when I finished. I have played golf with a couple of them and they are golfers (one a pretty competent player) and always very in tune with the conditions, so I was pretty surprised.

Next time I am in I will ask, but at the moment the course is not what you would expect at Glenview
Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Default Glenview

I played Glenview on Friday and Saturday...and I agree the course was in terrible shape. The greens were a mess (and haven't been aerated yet) and the fairways were dry and bare in places.. Usually, Glenview is in the best shape of all the courses even in the middle of the summer. Hopefully yesterday's rain will help.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Sage

I hope all of you will report the issue to Glenview. Squeaky wheels...
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

I played there this morning, and the greens are absolutely horrible. They were shaggy, the grass looked like it had sprouted in some places. Certainly didn't roll well. The course doesn't drain well, so there were muddy areas in the fairways from recent rain. Not worth the $$ to play there. I did play Palmer Sunday, and it was pristine. To report bad course conditions call Todd Basso at The Villages Golf adminstration office. I've done it in the past - others need to do it as well.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
I played there this morning, and the greens are absolutely horrible. They were shaggy, the grass looked like it had sprouted in some places. Certainly didn't roll well. The course doesn't drain well, so there were muddy areas in the fairways from recent rain. Not worth the $$ to play there. I did play Palmer Sunday, and it was pristine. To report bad course conditions call Todd Basso at The Villages Golf adminstration office. I've done it in the past - others need to do it as well.
I am sorry, if it takes phone calls for Mr Basso to do his job then IMO he should not have the job. Saw recent post regarding very poor conditions at an executive course where people also said to call Mr Basso. Not sure of his title but if he a director/manager of golf course maintenance he should know the condition of all the courses and not have to be motivated by the "squeaky wheel"
Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Some more information:
Glenview Pros Corner http://golfthevillages.com/champions...ourse=GLENVIEW
Glenview Maintenance Crew: http://golfthevillages.com/champions...ourse=GLENVIEW
The Glenview Phone number is 753-3345
Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Those links don't work Bogie. It just brings me back here. I don't know why..

Sometimes I have just copied a thread like this and sent it on to the "powers that be".
Old 05-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Default I'm Disappointed In The Conditions

at most of the courses in The Villages. Played Palmer today and would say it's in fair condition. I visited a friend this past weekend who lives in a country club
community in south Florida that has three Jack Nicklaus designed courses, and all three courses blow away anything in The Villages. It's disappointinig to say the least.

Last edited by actor; 05-18-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by actor View Post
at most of the courses in The Villages. Played Palmer today and would say it's in fair condition. I visited a friend this past weekend who lives in a country club
community in south Florida that has three Jack Nicklaus designed courses, and all three courses blow away anything in The Villages. It's disappointinig to say the least.
Curious what they pay to play there. We doing apples to apples here?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Those links don't work Bogie. It just brings me back here. I don't know why..

Sometimes I have just copied a thread like this and sent it on to the "powers that be".
Try to cut and paste. Most links to TV sites will not work direct. Sorry.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Sage

Why is it when we have extended periods of hot weather, cold weather, lack of rain you can almost predict that the whining about how "poor" the golf course conditions are will be posted here. This happened during the latter part of the sever cold weather in January and February when the ranting was posted here......3- 4 weeks later just the opposite was being posted (or the lack of any comments). Interesting that one poster says Palmer is pristine and another says it is poor.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Default You make a good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Curious what they pay to play there. We doing apples to apples here?
They pay a lot for golf. 89K to join and 12K a year for dues. And their courses don't get as much traffic as the courses in The Villages. Their greens are much faster than ours. I like playing the courses here, and most are in decent shape, Glenview not withstanding. I don't think any of the country clubs here are in great shape, however.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Sage
Default I wonder

When I lived in SoCal, our greenskeeper would get angry comments about this time of year when he reduced watering to kill off the overseeded grasses on the fairways and greens. This allowed the bermuda to take over more easily. So, for a while, the course looked like a bad muny. As soon as the overseed died, he increased water and fertilizer and the bermuda took off.
Mike
Old 05-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Why is it when we have extended periods of hot weather, cold weather, lack of rain you can almost predict that the whining about how "poor" the golf course conditions are will be posted here. This happened during the latter part of the sever cold weather in January and February when the ranting was posted here......3- 4 weeks later just the opposite was being posted (or the lack of any comments). Interesting that one poster says Palmer is pristine and another says it is poor.
good post but I have a few comments
1. extended periods of lack of rain causing poor conditions.... that is why they have irrigation systems
2. original poster and subsequent posters paid forty plus dollars per round. I am not sure "whining" is appropriate here. check out the restaurant section, are people whining if the service and food quality are bad? I think "upset" is the operative word. but like others say that is just my opinion
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.