VLS vs MLS

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Default VLS vs MLS

I know that MLS can't show VLS homes and vise versa. What I would like to know is there a difference in pricing? Are MLS homes bought cheaper than VLS? Is there more "haggle" room with MLS homes? Do more people buy homes through one more than the other?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm4444 View Post
I know that MLS can't show VLS homes and vise versa. What I would like to know is there a difference in pricing? Are MLS homes bought cheaper than VLS? Is there more "haggle" room with MLS homes? Do more people buy homes through one more than the other?
We have looked at MLS with Lyle Gant over the last two years, and VLS with Tony Trussler. The pricing for each is just as it is in every re-sale market, determined by the seller with the advice of the realtor. I don't see any disparity in pricing between the two. I presume the commission charged by each is the same or approximately the same, so it is basically a matter of choice by the seller which they list with. The haggle room is the same as anyplace else - you offer what you think it is worth, and the seller can accept, or counter. Here is some sales data from Lyle Gant's website: http://www.lylesellsfla.com/frame.sh...b0df7c2e32.pdf

I suppose sales figures could be found for the Villages, but my sense is that more homes are sold by Villages realtors, than by MLS, just because they have the advantage of being on-site, and available, plus they are assigned to everyone on lifestyle previews.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

The difference is there is NO haggling on new Villages homes. You pay what the price is. No negotiating. Different on pre owned, you can negotiate.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

VLS is resale so you can haggle, just as with MLS but you need two reps, one for each. New homes are fixed prices, as stated.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
The difference is there is NO haggling on new Villages homes. You pay what the price is. No negotiating. Different on pre owned, you can negotiate.
I wound up buying a resale with an mls agent, when I wanted to put in an offer on another resale with TV agent he said they would not put in an offer of less than 2-3% of asking price. Bought from mls agent with an offer of -10% and owner was very pleased to sell.
Don't know if all TV agents work that way on resales - actually wanted to put in an offer of -7% of asking price.
Glad I went the way I did - love the house and location.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybye View Post
I wound up buying a resale with an mls agent, when I wanted to put in an offer on another resale with TV agent he said they would not put in an offer of less than 2-3% of asking price. Bought from mls agent with an offer of -10% and owner was very pleased to sell.
Don't know if all TV agents work that way on resales - actually wanted to put in an offer of -7% of asking price.
That Village sales rep not only did you a diservice but what they did might have even been illegal. Not extending an offer to a seller is wrong. We purchased a resale thru a village sales rep and were advised what percentage off the listing price is the norm but were advised to use it as a tool...
Offer what you think it's worth not what the salesperson wants you to pay.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Sage

I don't have any experience with this but it is my impression that a buyers MLS agent would be able to offer more input into what an offer should be?
A buyers MLS agent should be working for you!!!!

Please correct me if I am wrong. Am I under a false impression?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
That Village sales rep not only did you a diservice but what they did might have even been illegal. Not extending an offer to a seller is wrong.

I've been an Alabama Real Estate Broker for 40 years and this is true in most places I'm aware of. The seller of that property was certainly done a dis-service by the action of not being made aware of a possible offer to look at.
The broker/agent is obligated to present ALL offers. Good way to lose a license.
If you're buying, use a buyer's broker. They're obligated to look after YOUR interest, not the seller's.

2BNTV: your assumptions are correct.
In reality, they're different!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post

I've been an Alabama Real Estate Broker for 40 years and this is true in most places I'm aware of. The seller of that property was certainly done a dis-service by the action of not being made aware of a possible offer to look at.
The broker/agent is obligated to present ALL offers. Good way to lose a license.
If you're buying, use a buyer's broker. They're obligated to look after YOUR interest, not the seller's.

2BNTV: your assumptions are correct.
Thank you CaptJohn.

This site really ROCKS for info and help!!!!!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
We have looked at MLS with Lyle Gant over the last two years, and VLS with Tony Trussler. The pricing for each is just as it is in every re-sale market, determined by the seller with the advice of the realtor. I don't see any disparity in pricing between the two. I presume the commission charged by each is the same or approximately the same, so it is basically a matter of choice by the seller which they list with. The haggle room is the same as anyplace else - you offer what you think it is worth, and the seller can accept, or counter. Here is some sales data from Lyle Gant's website: http://www.lylesellsfla.com/frame.sh...b0df7c2e32.pdf

I suppose sales figures could be found for the Villages, but my sense is that more homes are sold by Villages realtors, than by MLS, just because they have the advantage of being on-site, and available, plus they are assigned to everyone on lifestyle previews.
Very good info
Old 02-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Gold member
Default get an idea on the homes worth

Go to the web site, zillow. There you can get an idea of what they are asking and what they think the homes are worth . They will give you a lot of info.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
This is The Villages way of keeping prices artificially high for the Florida market. The TV agent is licensed by the state and not TV sales department and clearly violated the law by not accepting all offers and presenting them to the seller.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Does the law , not require a licensed agent to submit ALL offers from a buyer?? I don't think they can pick and choose.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.