Volkswagon of Ocala Service fraud

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2021, 01:50 PM

I would contest the charge on your credit card. You might hear from them
Old 09-21-2021, 03:14 PM
Default Car repair

I took my car there and they were fabulous. The young lady I worked with checked on me and my car periodically and my car was completed in less than two hours even being told it would take two. Got my video and tge service guy walk thru everything they had done on my car. Excellent service the service you got was exactly what I got at Leesburg Volkswagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Last Monday I took my Car into Volkswagon of Ocala and turned it over to Caleb to have a new key programmed for the car, an oil change, and a recall done. Caleb said the car would be done in about 2 hours. After 2.5 hours I hadn’t heard from them and went back to the dealer to check on it.

The car was parked out side, not in the service bay. I went in and asked if it was done and the service guys said they needed to find Caleb. One of them said it didn’t look like they started it yet. Sure enough, on their monitor although all the other cars said “in Progress” or “completed”, mine showed up as “checked in”.

When Caleb came out he said it was almost finished, just needed about 30 more minutes to complete the recall. The key and oil change were complete. After 45 minutes I tracked him down again and he had questions about programming the key.

After another 20 minutes I finally got the car with a “brand new” beat up key. After driving it home I checked the oil, it was not close to full.

Three hours later I got the text with the video. Normally they show step by step what they did. This was a 20 second video that said what they were going to do, and then said they did it. It didn’t even show the hood up or the car on a rack.

I suspect Caleb panicked when I got back and he realized he hadn’t turned the car in. Then for the next hour they spent trying to finish the one thing I could check, the key.

I sent an email to the service manager and heard nothing back. When a lady from Volkswagon called with her after service survey I told her the whole story. Still haven’t heard from them. Other than stopping payment on the service I’m not sure what to do.

My first impression was Caleb messed up. Now I’m wondering if this is normal for service at Volkswagon of Ocala, and they always tell people they serviced their car without doing it.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:45 PM

Be careful with Leesburg VW. They wanted $3500 to replace the TurboBooster. Would take over a week (had to order the part, etc.) Went to Strickland Auto in Wildwood. He said run Lucas Oil/Gas Treatment during fill ups. No problems for the past 12 months.
They also come and get you to talk to a SALES rep, who wants you to trade in your car for a new one.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Last Monday I took my Car into Volkswagon of Ocala and turned it over to Caleb to have a new key programmed for the car, an oil change, and a recall done. Caleb said the car would be done in about 2 hours. After 2.5 hours I hadn’t heard from them and went back to the dealer to check on it.

The car was parked out side, not in the service bay. I went in and asked if it was done and the service guys said they needed to find Caleb. One of them said it didn’t look like they started it yet. Sure enough, on their monitor although all the other cars said “in Progress” or “completed”, mine showed up as “checked in”.

When Caleb came out he said it was almost finished, just needed about 30 more minutes to complete the recall. The key and oil change were complete. After 45 minutes I tracked him down again and he had questions about programming the key.

After another 20 minutes I finally got the car with a “brand new” beat up key. After driving it home I checked the oil, it was not close to full.

Three hours later I got the text with the video. Normally they show step by step what they did. This was a 20 second video that said what they were going to do, and then said they did it. It didn’t even show the hood up or the car on a rack.

I suspect Caleb panicked when I got back and he realized he hadn’t turned the car in. Then for the next hour they spent trying to finish the one thing I could check, the key.

I sent an email to the service manager and heard nothing back. When a lady from Volkswagon called with her after service survey I told her the whole story. Still haven’t heard from them. Other than stopping payment on the service I’m not sure what to do.

My first impression was Caleb messed up. Now I’m wondering if this is normal for service at Volkswagon of Ocala, and they always tell people they serviced their car without doing it.
Welcome to American Auto Service
Old 09-21-2021, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:

Never leave dealership without following up on work they did. If oil was black They didn’t change the oil. Most cases when they do change the oil it not at correct level. Just cause you go to dealer don’t mean it’s done right. Alway follow up before you get in the car and drive off. Many times customer has no clue what did or needed to do and they know this.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
I did finally hear from the service manager, and to be fair, I’d like to tell his side of the story.

He is sure they did all the work. He said after an oil change the oil level can be anywhere in the safe zone, and won’t necessarily be near the top, or over half.

He is sure they did the recall, as he thought it was a software change. When I read him the recall notice “dealer will remove the drain valve from the air intake hose” he said he was mistaken, that must be what they did.

He had no explanation why the car had been pulled from the service bay when it wasn’t done, other than to say that was unusual.

He said they do wipe down the oil cap when changing oil, and had no explanation why it would be filthy with road debris.

He said a vehicle will show up on their status board as “checked in” until the car is finished, and then it will say “in progress”. So at 2:30 in the afternoon mine was the only car still being worked on. The rest were finished awaiting paperwork.

He admitted the video was not what they normally put out, and apologized that it was so bad.

He offered if I was willing to drive the car up there again, they would change the oil, again.

When I said there was nothing they did that convinced me the work had been done he admitted I would just have to trust them.

And I don’t. I challenged the oil change charge on my credit card, paying for the key reprogramming. I’ll get an oil change closer to home, and have Leesburg check the recall.

I am sure they done it. LOL.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:29 AM
Veteran member
Default Dealership service

Quote:

Certainly sounds like you were lied to. After 20 years as a service advisor/assistant service manager at a large top 100 dealer in Clearwater FL. I have heard many such stories. With how complicated cars are today the dealer is still the best option for repairs. The technicians are factory trained and much better equipped to work on their brand. Aftermarket shops are fine for tires and oil changes. Tires may still be the best deal at your dealer due to most have price match policies, and sell the tires engineered for your vehicle. At the dealer ask for the most senior advisor. If for any reason your personalities clash or you don't have a good feeling about him or her change on the next visit. I developed many friends and a large following over the years and held the technicians accountable for the work because when it was face to face time it was with me. Remember you get more flies with sugar than with lemons. Also don't be afraid to go to upper management because they hate that part of the job. Also remember dealers get a large part of their income from the manufacturer based on good survey results so they are highly motivated to get that survey. The survey is also part of the pay plan for the advisor in many dealers. Aftermarket shops also use aftermarket parts from NAPA etc. dealers use factory parts 99% of the time unless unavailable. Also remember every barrel has a couple bad apples you just have to sort them out. I've seen many many people ripped off by small shops. I also managed tire shops for three of the major chains and they are by far the biggest unethical places for repairs ever.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
Certainly sounds like you were lied to. After 20 years as a service advisor/assistant service manager at a large top 100 dealer in Clearwater FL. I have heard many such stories. With how complicated cars are today the dealer is still the best option for repairs. The technicians are factory trained and much better equipped to work on their brand. Aftermarket shops are fine for tires and oil changes. Tires may still be the best deal at your dealer due to most have price match policies, and sell the tires engineered for your vehicle. At the dealer ask for the most senior advisor. If for any reason your personalities clash or you don't have a good feeling about him or her change on the next visit. I developed many friends and a large following over the years and held the technicians accountable for the work because when it was face to face time it was with me. Remember you get more flies with sugar than with lemons. Also don't be afraid to go to upper management because they hate that part of the job. Also remember dealers get a large part of their income from the manufacturer based on good survey results so they are highly motivated to get that survey. The survey is also part of the pay plan for the advisor in many dealers. Aftermarket shops also use aftermarket parts from NAPA etc. dealers use factory parts 99% of the time unless unavailable. Also remember every barrel has a couple bad apples you just have to sort them out. I've seen many many people ripped off by small shops. I also managed tire shops for three of the major chains and they are by far the biggest unethical places for repairs ever.
Everything this poster says is correct. I was in the auto service business for 35 years and have seen and heard most all the stories.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, service, caleb, key, volkswagon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.