Volunteer Question

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Sage
Default Volunteer Question

I know there are endless ways to volunteer in TV. But for personal reasons, I'd like to join a group that is focused on helping veterans. I've seen the various lists and am familiar with many groups by name. But I'd like to hear some opinions and possibly descriptions of what kind of support various groups provide.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Operation Shoe Box is probably your best bet. They meet at Miona Rec Center on Mondays and I'm sure they would put you to work. They're getting ready for the Christmas stocking rush. I do believe they have a page on Facebook.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Platinum member
Smile Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I know there are endless ways to volunteer in TV. But for personal reasons, I'd like to join a group that is focused on helping veterans. I've seen the various lists and am familiar with many groups by name. But I'd like to hear some opinions and possibly descriptions of what kind of support various groups provide.

Thanks in advance.
Good for you for being willing to volunteer your time to help others; particularly for those who have served our country.

Two things come to mind.

First would be to volunteer to assist patients at the VA Outpatient Clinic located at 8900 SE 165th Mulberry Lane. You could contact them to find out if they have work for volunteers. If so, there is some paperwork to be done to apply to be a volunteer, because, after all, it IS a government operation.

Another, is to work with veterans and others in providing support for active duty troops through Operation Shoebox, which is active weekly in The Villages.

Operation Shoebox
8360 East Highway 25
Belleview. Fl. 34420

Phone: 352-307-6723
Ext. 1 – Packing and Shipping
Ext. 2 – General information/Volunteer
Ext. 3 – Thrift Store
Ext. 4 – Mary Harper
Ext. 5 – Address and hours
Old 10-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

Thanks in advance.
There is a group forming all over TV now call "Aging in Place". It is really big in Hadley and there is a new group coming together in Polo Ridge/Glenview/Summerhill. The idea behind this is to help seniors in need before they are at the stage of needing to pay for care or to go into residential care. Help such as getting people to appointments, doctors, dentists, you name it. Taking people to the stores and on and on. If you google "Aging in Place" you will see that it is a worldwide movement allowing people to stay in their homes for as long as they can.

I am sure there is a need in the Veteran's group for this kind of help. You could put out a post on here to see if Veterans need this kind of assistance. Also, have you joined a group in your area called "Next Door". Do a search for Next Door in TV and you will be amazed at how widespread it is and how useful it is. That is how we are forming our Aging in Place.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
groups, volunteer, familiar, lists, opinions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.