voyage driverless suv/van

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2019, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Most of the web is run on Linux, IBM uses Linux, Microsoft uses Linux, Largo, FL uses Linux for their email system and have yet to get a virus. Yes, Linux can be hacked, but, it is extremely rare because of two reasons, 1) it is a small market and (more importantly) 2) it is difficult to get past the built in security features. I have yet to hear of a Linux system getting hacked, it might have happened, but in all the research I do on Linux, I haven't found it.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

My friends and I have been working on communications services, including 911 services, and building the back bone of the internet since we were fresh faced kids out of college working for startups. Nothing like being called in the middle of the night because some activated the burn hotline before we finished testing the equipment to get your adrenaline going.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Search the web for "Linux Malware" and you will find many articles of hacked Linux systems.

Here is a recent one:

New HiddenWasp malware found targeting Linux systems | ZDNet

The National Vulnerability Database run by the US government lists over 7,000 vulnerabilities in Linux.

NVD - Results

Not all of these vulnerabilities have been found in the wild, but almost all of them were found by successfully hacking a Linux system, hopefully by someone wearing a white hat.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

I for one will never use a driverless car nor use an ATM nor use a computer nor a cell phone I won't even watch TV. I just don't trust these newfangled things. I am happy to stay in the dark ages
Old 06-22-2019, 10:40 AM

Being called in the middle of the night seems to standard in the software world.
I worked in software development for a medical device manufacturer and worked primarily on medical imaging scanners (CR, DR and CAT scanners). When the machines failed the field service people were called and if they couldn't fix it they called the Electrical and/or Software engineers. Always late at night!
Old 06-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Anyone find it interesting that Ford, Chevrolet are getting out of the car business (ok, Corvettes and Mustangs excluded_ and focusing on electric and autonomous vehicles? Foreign makers haven't announced stopping auto production but have announced focus on electric and autonomous vehicles. I think they are coming to the conclusion that us old folks are going to die and their market will be the more environmental and multitasking generation. The autonomous vehicle allows texting and talking via electronic devices which will be a huge advantage for the multi tasking generations. We are no longer a market.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-22-2019, 11:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I for one will never use a driverless car nor use an ATM nor use a computer nor a cell phone I won't even watch TV. I just don't trust these newfangled things. I am happy to stay in the dark ages
Old 06-22-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage

No exactly true. That are getting out of the sedan business because SUVs are so popular. Mustangs and Corvettes are a couple of the exceptions. Electric and autonomous vehicles are still "autos".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Anyone find it interesting that Ford, Chevrolet are getting out of the car business (ok, Corvettes and Mustangs excluded_ and focusing on electric and autonomous vehicles? Foreign makers haven't announced stopping auto production but have announced focus on electric and autonomous vehicles. I think they are coming to the conclusion that us old folks are going to die and their market will be the more environmental and multitasking generation. The autonomous vehicle allows texting and talking via electronic devices which will be a huge advantage for the multi tasking generations. We are no longer a market.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:30 AM
Sage

Linux is used on the systems that do most of the heavy lifting that you never see. It is the OS on the entertainment systems on aircraft. It is ubiquitous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rde3036 View Post
Hacking a Linux system is no harder than hacking any other operating system. The reason it is not done often is because hacker's write malware to attack the most common system which is currently Windows. Linux is used on a relatively small number of of computer systems. That will change if self driving cars or other products are equipped with Linux. The bigger the population of Linux systems the bigger the target for malware.
Closed Thread

Tags
voyage, suv/van, driverless, information, status

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.