A Wake-up Call, especially in the "lightening capital"

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Default A Wake-up Call, especially in the "lightening capital"

I am writing this notice relating to ways to inventory household goods and financial records and the importance of having back-up of same in case you lose your home to a fire. Also ways to prevent the loss of what people long for the most, ie, family photos. Due to a tragic incident in my family,( my sister lost everything, including her fur babies, in a tragic fire last Tuesday night), I am on a tear trying to up-date and get things (in order). Because of the loud explosion and damage, they are suspecting lightening strike. I have always maintained a hurricane inventory on my computer with pictures of every inch of the house, inside & out and everything in every room and cupboard/closet. In the case of china, etc, I scanned the name, etc from underside of item) This computer is backed-up to "the cloud". I have become lax in my complacency and have realized that a lot of the electronics (with a scan of model & serial #s) and other things have been replaced and the pictures not up-dated. I have scanned every receipt for purchase of said items also. I also have every photograph from photo albums and pictures on the wall scanned so they can be replaced. I have a small fire-proof safe, but there will soon be a bigger one that will hold many hard copies of things scanned. This incident has put the fear of the Lord in me. My sister and our family is going to grieve this loss for a long time, especially her fur babies (she rescued/fostered, homeless/injured babies) and the irreplaceable things (memoirs of our parents) stored in her home. I did place an article in the (non-Villages) discussion site, "Gone in a Flash" but it is not garnering much attention; it includes an address for a "gofundme.com" account, titled "Help Chris". I posted pictures and a newspaper notice from the Titusville Herald, Titusville, Pa. Just please, everybody, get your information in order and think of ways to protect everything, because lightening is very dangerous, especially here in Florida. It doesn't always happen "to somebody else". 8 people were injured on Clearwater Beach Sunday afternoon, in various stages of severity.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have it all on various thumb drives, which we keep in our safe deposit box at the bank, I know the data is protected there.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,609 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default Lightning strikes

Lightning can do a lot of damage to electronic devices so protect them as much as possible along with your data.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-23-2019, 09:16 AM

Thank you for the wake up call!
Old 07-23-2019, 01:06 PM

I have a lot of important papers and precious 'things' in the safe at the bank, the rest is in a personal safe. Prepared as much as possible for lightning, sinkhole, hurricane, fire, etc. I take lightning very serious which my husband listens to his 'friends' who seem to act like it's NOTHING (even though some have lived here a very long time)....
Closed Thread

Tags
pictures, scanned, things, lightening, babies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.