Walgreens discount for veterans

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
10%, but you must have a DOD ID card. In other words, Active Duty or Retired.
I use my VA Medical Card that shows I am a Disabled Vet. They do give me the 10% discount.

Last edited by MikeV; 05-28-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
10%, but you must have a DOD ID card. In other words, Active Duty or Retired.
Lowes accepts any va card (mine is medical) Home Depot only accepts Active duty or retired, thats why I only go to Lowes they honor all vets
Old 05-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Gold member

Lowe's in TV did not "honor" my husband's Vet status, although he is honored in Utah. So what form of ID is accepted if the Vet is honorably discharged and has a DD214?

Does he need to carry a copy of the DD214?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post

I understand that Florida is starting to put a "V" on the drivers license to denote the veteran's status. Is that available to all honorably discharged vets or only to active duty and retired vets?

I have a V on my new Fla DL (turned in my CA one for resident reasons).
3 Yrs Army in mid 60's. I don't remember [yesterday] what they required as proof to get the V but it could have been a DD214 which I have and could have brought to the Tax Ofc the next day to get the V.

Never tried to get a discount with it tho.

U commute to San Jose from TV ???
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Where can you get the "official" veterans ID card? My husband went up to the VA in TV to fill out the paperwork, and they said their machine that prints the cards is broken, and they don't know if and when they'll get another one.

There must be another place to go apply?
The VA has designed a new ID card and until the software/processor is ready, they are not making any cards. Your reporting is accurate though, the VA is broken.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohvette View Post
Lowes accepts any va card (mine is medical) Home Depot only accepts Active duty or retired, thats why I only go to Lowes they honor all vets
I have a service connected VA card and use it at Home Depot with no problem. I am not active or retired military.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I use my VA Medical Card that shows I am a Disabled Vet. The do give me the 10% discount.
That is what I also use. I questioned the Lowes manager and was shown their official policy which shows the VA medical card as the only thing they accept - except for Memorial and Veterans Days when they accept the DD 214.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:54 PM

VA is making a new type of ID's because the current ones give away your personal information, Stores like Auto Zone & others will give discounts. Do not be offended or intimidated just ask. Hey it40+yrs later, we're old just ask!! & Good Luck
Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post

U commute to San Jose from TV ???
Yea, I am still doing the commute until the fall. Crazy, huh?

Don't get out much when in Ca. What part of Ca are you from? You a resident or visitor to TV? I am only there for 6 days then home for 8 so it is do-able for now.......
Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Lowe's in TV did not "honor" my husband's Vet status, although he is honored in Utah. So what form of ID is accepted if the Vet is honorably discharged and has a DD214?

Does he need to carry a copy of the DD214?
Your hubby needs to get a V.A. ID card. With that he'll be able to get his discount at Lowes. Home Depot is a little different. They only give the discount to active duty, retired or service connected disabled vets except for Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veterans Day when all vets get the 10% discount.
The store personnel probably wouldn't know what to do with a DD214.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Military discounts

I have been presenting my ID card (retired) at Lowes for the past 5 years and always get the 10% discount no matter what I purchase. Doesn't have to be a holiday. There has never been a problem at Home Depot either. I do have a VA ID card and also Florida Disabled Veteran ID card but have never been asked to show them at Lowes or Home Depot. The Florida ID car is good for tax exemption and a lot more.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS G View Post
I have been presenting my ID card (retired) at Lowes for the past 5 years and always get the 10% discount no matter what I purchase. Doesn't have to be a holiday. There has never been a problem at Home Depot either. I do have a VA ID card and also Florida Disabled Veteran ID card but have never been asked to show them at Lowes or Home Depot. The Florida ID car is good for tax exemption and a lot more.
Where do I have to go to get the Florida Disabled Veteran ID card?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:33 PM

These's only apply to active, retired, and national guard on active duty only.. Employees at the stores have been making errors andL lowes has stated requiring Supv approval. Most stores now have pictures of the authorized ID cards and a VA card is not on these
Old 05-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes, but Lowes, for one, won't accept that. Or Home Depot. Or one of them. My friend's got rejected.
This is what I understand. You will get a discount at lowes and Home Depot if you have a Department of Veterans Affairs ID card . If you have a service connected disability it will be stated on the ID card and you will be given a 10% reduction on items you buy. If the ID card does not have Service Connected on it you will be given a discount only on Veterans Day. Veterans ID cards are issued to veterans if they apply for them. Injured vets will have Service Connected under the picture on the card.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:11 PM
Gold member

I stand corrected. Tommy Steam is correct. Below are the rules copied from the Lowes website:

Military Discount

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

1 Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in active, reserve, or retired status.
2 Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits
3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.