Walking on the Correct Side of the Pedestrian Path

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2021, 10:46 AM
jenniferthomas
Default Walking on the Correct Side of the Pedestrian Path

Please do not expect pedestrians walking on the correct side of the pedestrian path (facing bicycles and golf carts) to walk around you if you are walking on the incorrect side of the path (walking with your back to bicycles and golf carts). It is not worth the risk of being struck by a bicycle or golf cart (that we cannot see) just to appease you.

Welcome
:

Online Sunshine

Number 4 states:
“Where sidewalks are not provided any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the shoulder on the LEFT side of the roadway in relation to the pedestrian direction of travel facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction”.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Agreed but unfortunately those rules/laws wouldn't apply to the MMP's as they aren't public roadways covered under those laws. If you are from the UK it seems you sometimes get confused. We see that just about every morning and that is what some guy actually told us.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Agreed but unfortunately those rules/laws wouldn't apply to the MMP's as they aren't public roadways covered under those laws. If you are from the UK it seems you sometimes get confused. We see that just about every morning and that is what some guy actually told us.
Why would anyone be confused about walking and facing the traffic flow other than ignorance, or foolhardiness?
It is pretty much the rule in most countries.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferthomas View Post

Online Sunshine[/url]
Number 4 states:
“Where sidewalks are not provided any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the shoulder on the LEFT side of the roadway in relation to the pedestrian direction of travel facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction”.
Quote:
But along those lines a pet peeve of mine: 316.130 sec 3 states that no pedestrian shall walk along any paved roadway when a sidewalk is readily available. So, MMP's are not covered, but "jumping" off the sidewalk into the road is ILLEGAL and can be CITED by LEO. That means you DO NOT GET TO JUMP IN FRONT of a 600 lb. golf cart going 20, nor a 5,000 lb. SUV going 30+ because you are deathly afraid of getting COVID from passing withing 6 feet of another for 1/2 of a second.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Teasing BUT, as far as the UK, of course they are confused. They drive on the left side of the road and think that is right. They invented the inch, the foot and the yard. They went metric and left us holding the foot. Heck I had a British car and you needed three sets of tools to work on it whitworth, metric and sae. You had to work on it. I brought it into a repair shop and the mechanic when he saw what it was, refused to work on it.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferthomas View Post
Please do not expect pedestrians walking on the correct side of the pedestrian path (facing bicycles and golf carts) to walk around you if you are walking on the incorrect side of the path (walking with your back to bicycles and golf carts). It is not worth the risk of being struck by a bicycle or golf cart (that we cannot see) just to appease you.

Welcome
:

Online Sunshine

Number 4 states:
What is the goal of this post? The goal should be safety.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
What is the goal of this post? The goal should be safety.
I think the goal of the OP was to inform pedestrians which side of the MMP (or sidewalk) they should be on. Probably driven by a number of episodes when they were walking directly at other pedestrians while there were carts and bikes on the path. Kind of a slow walk game of chicken
Old 12-13-2021, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But along those lines a pet peeve of mine: 316.130 sec 3 states that no pedestrian shall walk along any paved roadway when a sidewalk is readily available. So, MMP's are not covered, but "jumping" off the sidewalk into the road is ILLEGAL and can be CITED by LEO. That means you DO NOT GET TO JUMP IN FRONT of a 600 lb. golf cart going 20, nor a 5,000 lb. SUV going 30+ because you are deathly afraid of getting COVID from passing withing 6 feet of another for 1/2 of a second.
Similar. I once asked a walker why he walked in road as apposed to the side walk, and I was told the road was softer!
Old 12-13-2021, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Similar. I once asked a walker why he walked in road as apposed to the side walk, and I was told the road was softer!
Brilliant---another Darwin Award winner!

I'm still amazed that there are any people out there that still jump off the sidewalk to avoid passing within 6 feet of another. I would have thought that by now they all would have either been killed by a motor vehicle (a form of social Darwinism) or have educated themselves enough to realize you can't get COVID in that manner.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:32 PM

We all love the morning walkers in St. Catherine's area walking 3 across and over the halfway point on the golf cart multiuse trails.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I know Golfing Eagles found this humorous and worthy of Darwinism, but the truth is known in long distance runner or walker circles.

Years of the cumulative impact motion on the joints from walking and running exercise take their toll on joints, meniscus, tendons, and the rest of the muscular exoskeleton. The cumulative impact is mitigated by asphalt (road) versus concrete (sidewalk). An exception to this would be some of the UK roads where they use the rock that we use to surround railroad tracks. The rock is leveled but floated to the surface, so in effect you are running more on granite than on asphalt in Dublin.

Long term and long distance exercises are better served by exercising on the "softer" asphalt over time. Dirt is better, but the inherent unevenness and pebbly protrusions can negatively impact one's ankles, knees, toes, etc.

So yes, the walker is better off on the softer road than the harder concrete. A short and occasional walk to Publix will probably have no quantifiable difference, but if you regularly run or walk 25-50 miles per week, then yes, there would be a difference worth pursuing.

FWIW.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 12-13-2021, 03:26 PM
Default rules rules rules

When walking on a road or path that has motorized vehicles, pedestrians should walk on the left side of the road facing traffic. That way the pedestrian can see carts and cars approaching and can jump out of the way if need be. I assumed that this would apply to the bike and pedestrian paths as well. I found myself in the minority when walking on the pedestrian paths and even had one woman yell at me that I was walking the on the wrong side of the path. Well, that bothered me, so I went home and searched the internet to see if I could find out what the correct side of the path to walk on. To my surprise, almost all of the articles I could find said that on pedestrian paths walkers and bikes should walk/ride on the right side of the road. This allows the faster bikes or walkers to pass on your left. So there are different rules for paths or roads with motorized vehicles and those with nonmotorized vehicles. Live and learn
Old 12-13-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
As an ex avid runner (before arthritis) I can confirm what he said. Running on a cement sidewalk and then stepping off onto an asphalt road was a little bit of heaven to my feet.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I know Golfing Eagles found this humorous and worthy of Darwinism, but the truth is known in long distance runner or walker circles.

Years of the cumulative impact motion on the joints from walking and running exercise take their toll on joints, meniscus, tendons, and the rest of the muscular exoskeleton. The cumulative impact is mitigated by asphalt (road) versus concrete (sidewalk). An exception to this would be some of the UK roads where they use the rock that we use to surround railroad tracks. The rock is leveled but floated to the surface, so in effect you are running more on granite than on asphalt in Dublin.

Long term and long distance exercises are better served by exercising on the "softer" asphalt over time. Dirt is better, but the inherent unevenness and pebbly protrusions can negatively impact one's ankles, knees, toes, etc.

So yes, the walker is better off on the softer road than the harder concrete. A short and occasional walk to Publix will probably have no quantifiable difference, but if you regularly run or walk 25-50 miles per week, then yes, there would be a difference worth pursuing.

FWIW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
As an ex avid runner (before arthritis) I can confirm what he said. Running on a cement sidewalk and then stepping off onto an asphalt road was a little bit of heaven to my feet.
I stand corrected.
I always thought it was cheap running shoes caused the damage to joints.
I will walk in the road in future!
Old 12-13-2021, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Second grade in school........boys & girls always walk facing traffic.

Tags
walking, side, pedestrian, path, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.