Walking on the Correct Side of the Pedestrian Path

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2021, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I know Golfing Eagles found this humorous and worthy of Darwinism, but the truth is known in long distance runner or walker circles.

Years of the cumulative impact motion on the joints from walking and running exercise take their toll on joints, meniscus, tendons, and the rest of the muscular exoskeleton. The cumulative impact is mitigated by asphalt (road) versus concrete (sidewalk). An exception to this would be some of the UK roads where they use the rock that we use to surround railroad tracks. The rock is leveled but floated to the surface, so in effect you are running more on granite than on asphalt in Dublin.

Long term and long distance exercises are better served by exercising on the "softer" asphalt over time. Dirt is better, but the inherent unevenness and pebbly protrusions can negatively impact one's ankles, knees, toes, etc.

So yes, the walker is better off on the softer road than the harder concrete. A short and occasional walk to Publix will probably have no quantifiable difference, but if you regularly run or walk 25-50 miles per week, then yes, there would be a difference worth pursuing.

FWIW.
Actually, I agree with you-----for those that walk the 25-50 miles you described. I was poking fun at the casual walker, who probably has no idea that the asphalt is softer, and is jumping out there to avoid a virus. HOWEVER, either way, it is STILL against the law
Old 12-13-2021, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Similar. I once asked a walker why he walked in road as apposed to the side walk, and I was told the road was softer!
Actually it is true. Tar/paved asphalt type roads are much softer therefore less impact than concrete and much easier on the feet or knees for those who run or walk long distances. When I used to run, other than a synthetic material track my choice would be asphalt. Lots of articles about that.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Brilliant---another Darwin Award winner!

I'm still amazed that there are any people out there that still jump off the sidewalk to avoid passing within 6 feet of another. I would have thought that by now they all would have either been killed by a motor vehicle (a form of social Darwinism) or have educated themselves enough to realize you can't get COVID in that manner.
Always the brilliant answer. You need to reread your Darwin medical papers on low impact surfaces for running and walking. So what kind of doctor do you claim to be? Definitely not a sports doc.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I stand corrected.
I always thought it was cheap running shoes caused the damage to joints.
I will walk in the road in future!
If you run on the road, facing traffic, and you are paying attention, generally you have time to get out of the way if needed. Also, don't run using the heel-strike method (where you land on your heel). Run on the front of your feet and let your ankle (which is a lever) deal with the shock, instead of your joints getting the shock. Unfortunately, this technique come into favor too late for me - the damage was done - with very expensive shoes no less!
Old 12-13-2021, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andercat View Post
When walking on a road or path that has motorized vehicles, pedestrians should walk on the left side of the road facing traffic. That way the pedestrian can see carts and cars approaching and can jump out of the way if need be. I assumed that this would apply to the bike and pedestrian paths as well. I found myself in the minority when walking on the pedestrian paths and even had one woman yell at me that I was walking the on the wrong side of the path. Well, that bothered me, so I went home and searched the internet to see if I could find out what the correct side of the path to walk on. To my surprise, almost all of the articles I could find said that on pedestrian paths walkers and bikes should walk/ride on the right side of the road. This allows the faster bikes or walkers to pass on your left. So there are different rules for paths or roads with motorized vehicles and those with nonmotorized vehicles. Live and learn
I find that people who know the rules are rare. People who follow the rules are rarer still. People who yell at me, I am selectively deaf. My mother was a yeller, all I hear is NOISE.

Live and learn? It is truly simple. If, you are walking or riding a bike BRIGHT COLORS make you more visible. Walking through the tunnels or riding a bike through them is a bit NUTS. There is no room for a golf cart to miss you. A walker hit by a bike, a golf cart, or a car is going to get the worst of it as is a bike or a golf cart hit by a car.

Bikes and golf carts go with traffic and walkers go against traffic so they can see what is coming. The term SHARE THE ROAD does apply. Two walking side by side is not sharing the road. For too many they add a dog on a six foot leash.

The term ACCIDENT is simply wrong. Almost all ACCIDENTS can be avoided. Thus what we term an accident is a DUMB action by one or all involved AND PEOPLE CAN AND DO GE INJURED AND OR KILLED.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,505 Times in 3,104 Posts

If you have to walk on the road because there are no sidewalks, then definitely walk against traffic.

However, an MMP is neither a road nor a sidewalk. The "MM" part stands for Multi Modal. Foot traffic is included in that. Pedestrians have the right to walk freely on the MMP, "as though" it were a sidewalk. That means they would normally walk on the right of the MMP, not the left.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:59 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
That means they would normally walk on the right of the MMP, not the left.
Capital B for Bonehead walking.

If you have no concern about your personal safety...............follow the above "logic".

Old 12-13-2021, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you have to walk on the road because there are no sidewalks, then definitely walk against traffic.

However, an MMP is neither a road nor a sidewalk. The "MM" part stands for Multi Modal. Foot traffic is included in that. Pedestrians have the right to walk freely on the MMP, "as though" it were a sidewalk. That means they would normally walk on the right of the MMP, not the left.
RE: MMP. You are right, they "legally could" without risking the Wrath of Florida Law but still shouldn't as it could be disastrous and is dumb.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:05 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
As an ex avid runner (before arthritis) I can confirm what he said. Running on a cement sidewalk and then stepping off onto an asphalt road was a little bit of heaven to my feet.
IF focusing on hard vs. soft, you should have been running on the grass.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Always the brilliant answer. You need to reread your Darwin medical papers on low impact surfaces for running and walking. So what kind of doctor do you claim to be? Definitely not a sports doc.
Thank you. As you can imagine, my professional ego is irreparably damaged by your inciteful comments. NOT!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Old 12-13-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
IF focusing on hard vs. soft, you should have been running on the grass.
With grass you likely swing to far into the comfort zone vs resistance. Your feet may benefit but the added effort to run through grass may not be worth it. While you are running these decisions are what keep you occupied.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:43 AM

Quote:
…However, an MMP is neither a road nor a sidewalk. The "MM" part stands for Multi Modal. Foot traffic is included in that. Pedestrians have the right to walk freely on the MMP, "as though" it were a sidewalk. That means they would normally walk on the right of the MMP, not the left.
As others have stated…way off the mark. As the vast majority of safety conscious walkers will tell you, “normal” walking on the MMP is into the traffic.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Actually it is true. Tar/paved asphalt type roads are much softer therefore less impact than concrete and much easier on the feet or knees for those who run or walk long distances. When I used to run, other than a synthetic material track my choice would be asphalt. Lots of articles about that.
Agree 100%. I've been running for 40 plus years. I always run against any kind of traffic. We'll be spending winter in the Villages when we retire soon. I plan on continuing that practice on the MM paths as well.

And yes, running on asphalt is softer than concrete. Believe it or not. You can feel it when you run. This has been known to runners for many years.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:04 AM

My hubby walks on the asphalt golf cart path, when possible, the cement is too hard even in the garage his hip hurts from standing/working from cement
Old 12-14-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But along those lines a pet peeve of mine: 316.130 sec 3 states that no pedestrian shall walk along any paved roadway when a sidewalk is readily available. So, MMP's are not covered, but "jumping" off the sidewalk into the road is ILLEGAL and can be CITED by LEO. That means you DO NOT GET TO JUMP IN FRONT of a 600 lb. golf cart going 20, nor a 5,000 lb. SUV going 30+ because you are deathly afraid of getting COVID from passing withing 6 feet of another for 1/2 of a second.
I jump off the sidewalk to avoid the bug swarms or nearby snakes or if the sidewalk is not on the side of the road to make my next turn. I also distance run/walk with my Garmin and use the road or shoulder when possible to keep my joint cushions. Runners/ race walkers usually weigh the alternatives and choose the safest option. I am interested in how these ‘walking rules’ are enforced.
Closed Thread

Tags
walking, side, pedestrian, path, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.