Walking on the Correct Side of the Pedestrian Path

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2021, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsondm View Post
I jump off the sidewalk to avoid the bug swarms or nearby snakes or if the sidewalk is not on the side of the road to make my next turn. I also distance run/walk with my Garmin and use the road or shoulder when possible to keep my joint cushions. Runners/ race walkers usually weigh the alternatives and choose the safest option. I am interested in how these ‘walking rules’ are enforced.
Probably randomly, rarely, and perhaps not at all (until a tragic accident occurs). Does that mean every citizen has the right to intentionally violate any law that they don't like just because it is unlikely to be enforced????? Does that mean a "runner/race walker" gets to "weigh" the alternative of abiding by the law vs. softer asphalt??????

The actual statute states "(3) Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic." A venomous snake, or a snake of unknown danger might qualify as "other circumstances", as might a swarm of stinging/biting insects. I doubt "softer asphalt" or covidnoia would.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
With grass you likely swing to far into the comfort zone vs resistance. Your feet may benefit but the added effort to run through grass may not be worth it. While you are running these decisions are what keep you occupied.
It's like running on a cloud of Jell-O.

Yes, harder workout.........jus like running on the beach.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:30 AM

I think it’d be nice if walkers and cyclists would move out of the way when carts approach. Most do, but there are a significant number of walkers/cyclists who act like they are almost daring carts to hit them.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
I think it’d be nice if walkers and cyclists would move out of the way when carts approach. Most do, but there are a significant number of walkers/cyclists who act like they are almost daring carts to hit them.
I think it’d be nice if all golf cart drivers would slow down when coming upon cyclists and walkers. Slow down, then pass safely, not on a blind curve. Most golf carters I see on multi modal paths are very considerate and do all of that. Some, unfortunately, drive too fast, too close, and put the safety of walkers and cyclists in jeopardy by passing on blind curves. This is a retirement community, slow down. If you want to drive your cart at a constant 25 mph then petition the officials to turn the multimodal paths into golf cart only highways.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:27 AM
Gold member
Thanked 2,147 Times in 746 Posts

I want to see the golf cart that is going to run me over......
Old 12-14-2021, 08:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I get the whole asphalt is softer than cement thing, but runners and walkers do not belong in the marked cart lanes in the roadway if there is a sidewalk. You see this all the time on Pinellas Place.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
I think it’d be nice if all golf cart drivers would slow down when coming upon cyclists and walkers. Slow down, then pass safely, not on a blind curve. Most golf carters I see on multi modal paths are very considerate and do all of that. Some, unfortunately, drive too fast, too close, and put the safety of walkers and cyclists in jeopardy by passing on blind curves. This is a retirement community, slow down. If you want to drive your cart at a constant 25 mph then petition the officials to turn the multimodal paths into golf cart only highways.
I've found most cyclists will move as far to the right as they can and slow down when they see a couple of golf carts lining up behind them trying to pass. I think that's great, and appreciate it as a golf cart driver.

I try to do the same, when I'm riding my bicycle.

There are, however, cyclists who refuse to do that, who will maintain their 10-12 mph speed, take up the entire half of the MMP, and not even try to move over. If they heading to the same location, it can mean that you're late for your doctor's appointment on the other side of the Villages, even if you set out with plenty of time for occasional hiccups along the way.

Then there is the odd cyclist, the one who wants to "make a statement" who will go at a nice slow pace, UNTIL they see you trying to pass them. Then, they'll speed up - meaning you need much more length of travel to successfully pass them if you're only going 4mph faster as opposed to the 9mph faster that you WERE doing, before they sped up. That's rare, but it does happen.

Then there's the odd golf cart driver who will tailgate a cyclist, lean on their horn, and when passing, drive as closely to that bike as they possibly can to intimidate them. That's also rare, but it does happen.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Teasing BUT, as far as the UK, of course they are confused. They drive on the left side of the road and think that is right. They invented the inch, the foot and the yard. They went metric and left us holding the foot. Heck I had a British car and you needed three sets of tools to work on it whitworth, metric and sae. You had to work on it. I brought it into a repair shop and the mechanic when he saw what it was, refused to work on it.
Had the same experience (though the specific auto I am thinking of was from N. Ireland). I took my cars to Fred Opert racing for repairs. They didn't want to lose my business re the other cars, but for this one from N Ireland they charged 25.00 above the posted hourly rate. The mechanic would show me his wounds from carrying out simple tasks on a poorly designed auto.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:14 AM

Stand your ground no matter what! You're right and they're wrong so let them get hit!! That'll show em!!
Old 12-14-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I know Golfing Eagles found this humorous and worthy of Darwinism, but the truth is known in long distance runner or walker circles.

Years of the cumulative impact motion on the joints from walking and running exercise take their toll on joints, meniscus, tendons, and the rest of the muscular exoskeleton. The cumulative impact is mitigated by asphalt (road) versus concrete (sidewalk). An exception to this would be some of the UK roads where they use the rock that we use to surround railroad tracks. The rock is leveled but floated to the surface, so in effect you are running more on granite than on asphalt in Dublin.

Long term and long distance exercises are better served by exercising on the "softer" asphalt over time. Dirt is better, but the inherent unevenness and pebbly protrusions can negatively impact one's ankles, knees, toes, etc.

So yes, the walker is better off on the softer road than the harder concrete. A short and occasional walk to Publix will probably have no quantifiable difference, but if you regularly run or walk 25-50 miles per week, then yes, there would be a difference worth pursuing.

FWIW.
Absolutely correct. I have run multiple marathons (now have a knee replacement and we always avoided sidewalks. Asphalt/dirt were much easier on the joints.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
IF focusing on hard vs. soft, you should have been running on the grass.
Now THAT is funny. (Although I didn't see Doc's overused emoji obviously you were joking .... I hope).

Wait! Here:
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferthomas View Post
Please do not expect pedestrians walking on the correct side of the pedestrian path (facing bicycles and golf carts) to walk around you if you are walking on the incorrect side of the path (walking with your back to bicycles and golf carts). It is not worth the risk of being struck by a bicycle or golf cart (that we cannot see) just to appease you.

Welcome
:

Online Sunshine

Number 4 states:
“Where sidewalks are not provided any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the shoulder on the LEFT side of the roadway in relation to the pedestrian direction of travel facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction”.
And IMO When more than one single file when traffic present. Walking two or more abreast not sharing the path or diamond lane it hogging it when traffic coming and has to stop cause of special walker’s.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 12-15-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtexasrn View Post
Stand your ground no matter what! You're right and they're wrong so let them get hit!! That'll show em!!
Don’t you mean stand you ground hoping to get hit so you can call Morgan and Morgan.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
I get the whole asphalt is softer than cement thing, but runners and walkers do not belong in the marked cart lanes in the roadway if there is a sidewalk. You see this all the time on Pinellas Place.
While legally you are 100% correct on any diamond lane where there is a sidewalk (while I don't run/walk on Pinellas) I'd take my chances with the cops vs. protecting my old bones. Also it's an obstacle course trying to run around the slow walkers & dogs in baby carriages on the sidewalks and chancing falling stepping off/on the curb to go around them.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:30 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Now THAT is funny. (Although I didn't see Doc's overused emoji obviously you were joking .... I hope).

Wait! Here:
I vote we get a Sheldon emoji.

Actually, a sarcasm on this site would help many readers.

Tags
walking, side, pedestrian, path, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.