Walking the dog this morning...........

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2018, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

When I mentioned that I was relieved when I saw the guy drive back, my relief had to do with not having to explain to my wife how I left the house with one dog and came back with two.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

I've seen folks here walk their dogs while driving golf ****s, so doing it from a car in an empty parking lot doesn't seem all that much of a stretch. Nothing I'd consider doing offhand, but I don't know the situations of the people doing it. Maybe they are recovering from surgery or are otherwise incapable of walking their dogs but don't have the heart to NOT give their dogs the walk experience. I try not to judge (hard as that may be!).

Somebody mentioned bikes and dog leashes. I once bought a device that hooked onto my bike and had a short leash to hook your dog onto. The way it was engineered, the leash couldn't tangle in the wheels or pedals. I never biked and "dragged" my dog along. He and I got up to speed and he'd pretty much pull me along. We'd do a few blocks and he'd pull me back into the driveway when he was done. And he wasn't a huge breed of dog (well, for a cocker spaniel, he was gigantic). Dogs are stronger than you think and have a LOT of endurance if they are healthy. We just got back from Alaska and saw sled dogs at work and they seem to absolutely freaking LOVE to run and pull the sled (or the engine-less ATV, in this case). It's a very different lifestyle than the little white foo-foo dogs in baby carts you see here, but probably a LOT closer to "natural" dog behavior, where they don't sneak up on prey; they run them into the ground.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:07 AM

When I first started reading this post my heart was breaking for this little dog. But then I started putting the pieces together and I don't think there was any abuse here. Caddy makes me think someone fairly old, perhaps someone who can no longer walk any distance. Early morning, it's cool out, no blazing hot pavements and the parking lots are still empty. Maybe he was just trying to give his pup the exercise it needs in the only way he knows how. Maybe he can't afford a daily dog walker. That little dog might be all he has left in this world. It's great to look out for our furry friends but maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge and drag people through the gutter without knowing the circumstances...and even if we don't like the circumstances, maybe we can offer help instead of reprimands.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 AM

I have a dog and I would never let my little dog run beside me while I drive a car nor riding a bicycle. I saw a man riding his bike pulling his dog on a leash in hot weather. I do see that one wants to exercise their dog and get exercise themselves but do it on a cooler day.

Last edited by TOMCAT; 07-10-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:35 AM

NEVER ride a bike or a golf cart with a dog on a leash TRYING to keep up!!! Should be arrested for cruelty!
YOU try running along!!! Going to be working on getting it outlawed here!!!!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
OP thought the dog was being abandoned. I'm glad someone intervened when my husband left the house and the front door blew open, and the traffic-challenged senior dog wandered out into the street. And an angel in a golf cart took action that averted a possible tragedy.

You can all have your opinions. Mine is that sometimes people need to stick their nose into someone else's business. Like if a kid or animal or person is being abused, neglected, abandoned or is otherwise in danger. Or any other number of things. Good for brucernelson, IMO.

Exactly what I tell other people!
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, back, walking, i’m, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.